Can I connect a Fios STB via Cat5? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Fios service with two STB's (a home media DVR and an HD tuner). Currently they are both connected via coax. I want to move the tuner (Motorola HD QIP 7100 1) to a different location, but there is not currently a coax cable going to that location. I do have a cat5 connection at this location, and the 7100 has an ethernet port.

Is it possible to get full TV service via the cat5 connection on this STB? If so, how? Will I still be able to stream recordings from the home media DVR if I do this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzator View Post

I have Fios service with two STB's (a home media DVR and an HD tuner). Currently they are both connected via coax. I want to move the tuner (Motorola HD QIP 7100 1) to a different location, but there is not currently a coax cable going to that location. I do have a cat5 connection at this location, and the 7100 has an ethernet port.

Is it possible to get full TV service via the cat5 connection on this STB? If so, how? Will I still be able to stream recordings from the home media DVR if I do this?

Thanks!

The cat5 port on the STB is for data only (such as guide) if you decide or can't use MOCA.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help. So I take your answer to mean that I will need to run a coax cable to the new location if I want video.

However, I don't fully understand what you mean by "if you decided or can't use MOCA". What use is the STB without video? Why would I want just the data connection but not the video?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzator View Post

Thanks for your help. So I take your answer to mean that I will need to run a coax cable to the new location if I want video.

However, I don't fully understand what you mean by "if you decided or can't use MOCA". What use is the STB without video? Why would I want just the data connection but not the video?

The Verizon STB collects data such as channel guide, on demand, etc. Without this information you obviously will not have a channel guide and all the features of the STB. MOCA allows this data to pass through the coax, along with the video signal so by default all you need is the coax and you will have everything Verizon has to offer.

In some cases, amplifiers or splitters do not allow the MOCA to work, therefor your alternative is to use Cat5.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks. I get it now.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page