Why I will never ever EVER buy from HDtvsupply.com - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called HDTVSupply.com because I saw they had a 6x6 HDMI matrix device. I purchased one from Monoprice and it just didn't work. I called and asked more about the product. The guy who answered was a real nerd. I have no problem with nerds but within 1 minute of talking to him he told me he was an electrical engineer. Ok no problem with that but he must have brought it up 4 more times in our conversation. Again all of this isn't bad. He went on to ask about my setup and native resolutions. He was thorough with his questions to understand my situation. He criticized my choice of cables (they are cheap ones from monoprice I will admit). Then he told me to google "hdmi problems" and I would find 4 million results because of cable size. He went on to talk about the 19 paths in an hdmi cable. He asked if I was going to use a receiver and I said eventually I did plan on it. He told me that was a bad idea. Then he started to say google-ing hdmi problems and I tried to say something and he snapped "You need to let me finish". I should have said thanks anyway but I really wanted to know if I could use his switch. 10 minutes in to the conversation I still didn't have an answer. So as we talked I said I have one more question and I asked about their boosters and he directed me on the website and I said ok one more question and this went on a couple more times as we talked about more things more questions came up. I asked about if the matrix switch doesn't work can I return it and he said yes paused and said but there is a 15% restocking fee to cover the credit card transactions. I was nervous as this is a $2000 device and 15% is not inconsequential! FINALLY I said ok I have one more and he said "Last One". He said something else and I finally said well thanks I appreciate this information and at least it hasn't cost me anything yet. At that point the line went dead. And I thought about it and I said I bet he hung up on me. Well I called back to give them the benefit of the doubt and he didn't answer. I left a message asking the last question bringing back up the receiver and the matrix switch. He had earlier described it as two intersecting 19 lanes of highway with no traffic light. Anyway I called back the next day to see if someone will answer and they don't. So I select the option to place an order. I ask the nice lady if she is an employee or an order take from an outsourced company. She didn't understand so I finally asked if she worked for hdtvsupply. She said she did and I asked her if the man who has a electrical engineering degree is the owner and she informed me that he is. I then let her know I would never buy from there ever and thanked her and wished her a good day. Too bad because their prices aren't bad and their products look nice enough on the website. Customer service from the owner himself was lousy and downright rude. He lost my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of ordering a HDMI matrix with built in edid from them about a month ago. I communicated with them through email only, and my questions were answered, very short answers. I was told to google hdmi problems too. Basically I was told that matrix switches aren't made to work with receivers, and nothing would work in my set-up. But if I order the switch, "there is a 15% restocking fee, do you want to order one, or not," I was told. I ended up ordering one from Firefold, without the built in edid, and it did not work in my set up. (I will be trying to sell that one shortly) So I ordered one from HDTVSupply, and it worked. I was pretty unhappy with the tone and short answers, but their product worked for me. I am still not sure if I would order anything else from them. Just my story.
Cheers,
Matt
post #4 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

I found a switch by a company names Kramer. It has EDID. I found other people selling them for much less however their restocking fees seem to be MUCH higher like 25 to 35%!!! Anyway I asked a couple suppliers who didn't specify their restocking fees on their site. I feel like if it doesn't work it shouldnt be on me but I guess it is...

Anyway we will see!

Thanks!

Neil
post #5 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by heffneil View Post

I found a switch by a company names Kramer. It has EDID. I found other people selling them for much less however their restocking fees seem to be MUCH higher like 25 to 35%!!! Anyway I asked a couple suppliers who didn't specify their restocking fees on their site. I feel like if it doesn't work it shouldnt be on me but I guess it is...

Anyway we will see!

Thanks!

Neil

Welcome to the world of custom installation ... everything is on you now. You would be amazed at the number of products we waste our time and money on while trying to come up with solutions for clients.

This is why most CI's have a single "go-to" product for every application and they wont budge. They dont want to waste their own time or the clients money being a beta tester for every electronics manufacturer.

Custom Installation Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

User Interface Design Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 08:37 AM

I had a question about many of the HDMI matrix swithes available on HDTVsupply.com. There doesn't appear to be any brand associated with them... How can one find out who makes a particular switch and what kind of reputation for quality they have short of calling HDMIsupply.com and relying on their assurances?
post #7 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Victor73- It's stuff made in China rebranded as a HDTVsupply product. Take their "on sale" 4x4 Matrix HDMI/Cat6 switch for example. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-matrix-switch-cat5.html It has part number HDTVHSS0404E. Remove the HDTV and google HSS0404E. You will discover that the product is really made by Hinen Electronics (Shenzhen).

post #8 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 AM

I had come across this post before I called them today, so I was a little apprehensive when I did. But I had a great experience and wanted to share.

I called their sales line after having an issue with the Monoprice 4x4 Matrix. HDTVSupply sells the same item but white-labeled under a different product number (http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-matrix-switch-cat5.html#axzz2YmszHeoG), per NJ Jackal's previous post.

The Monoprice one crapped out on me so I was looking for a replacement. The sales rep said it was likely an issue with the power supply so now I have a new cord on the way and I'm hoping that's the fix. Might have saved me from spending a ton on a new system - which he could have easily steered me toward. Based on that experience I will definitely look to them for future business.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps you talked to someone else or they just got better. I hope they got better. When you can buy the same product from Monoprice I don't know why you wouldn't. Monoprice's support is great and their prices are amazing without a huge markup. I buy as much as I can from Monoprice.

FYI I know my original posts are old but the kramer matrix switch is amazing. It does EDID and I have no issues whatsoever with my directv hd tuners and my 4 tv's

Thanks!

Neil
post #10 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just purchased from HDTV Supply, and I did not do it to buy the same matrix Monoprice sells, but to get one that really worked well. that is the difference for me. I have had no fewer than 4 different Monoprice Matrices, and NONE of them worked they way I would like. I put up with glitches, EDID issues (Even though all my sinks have same capabilities), resulting intermittent failure to sync problems, etc. Generally a crappy experience all around.

Now, I spent more like $600 to do 4x4 to CAT6 distribution, but now it truly works absolutely glitch free. No blanking/resyncing of displays when another sink get's powered up, switches into the same source as your watching in a another room, etc. It just works period.

The sale guy was helpful, and recommend the Shinybow stuff if I wanted the switching to be solid and utterly transparent, and that is the way it turned out. Much better than having someone try to up-sell you new HDMI cables when you are calling complaining about the reliability of the switching and syncing (was already using their high-speed cables and still do). I already knew the reason my Monoprice 4x4 matrix finally stopped working was the transformer, but It's not even worth digging up a new wall wort for that POS.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM

BTW, As mentioned, still use Monoprice cables. They have fantastic value on cables. It's just their electronics that are bottom-barrel.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberyu View Post

Now, I spent more like $600 to do 4x4 to CAT6 distribution, but now it truly works absolutely glitch free. No blanking/resyncing of displays when another sink get's powered up, switches into the same source as your watching in a another room, etc. It just works period. .

Which unit did you end up getting, if you don't mind me asking?
post #13 of 17 Old 07-17-2013, 01:16 PM

post #14 of 17 Old 07-18-2013, 04:03 AM

I'm considering that same one right now. Struggling with the best remote option since that setup won't handle IR. The RF20 has a great price point but I don't love the layout (no skip ahead / skip back buttons, which I use all the time). Is that what you went with for a remote?
post #15 of 17 Old 08-01-2013, 03:28 PM

I'm in the same boat as Roberyu. I have a setup with two 4x4 matrix over cat 6 from Monoprice and both units crapped out after 13 months. I cant see myself buying replacements from Monoprice again. I don't mind spending a bit more (even double) for a solution that works flawlessly and will last. So I too am looking at the HD-44 4x4 from HDTV Supply with the hdmi to cat6 extenders.

My question is also about how to handle IR? The monoprice unit passed IR signals and it worked well enough. I have two cat6 lines run to each screen so I suppose I could use an IR over HDMI solution but I assume that would be pricy to do this for 4 screens. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 195
If you switch to hdmi over 1xCAT5 extender, you can use the other cat5 for IR exclusively. You can terminate it to one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ATIFGY and just plug in your IR receiver.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-05-2013, 09:19 AM

Thanks. I wasn't aware that IR travelled natively through cat5/6. Sounds like an easy and very inexpensive solution.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page