How to mount a network switch into a Leviton panel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I built a new house and installed a Leviton 42" structured wiring panel. I have the supply wires for the TV cable coming in there. I have 7 CAT6 and 7 RG6 from the various rooms coming there. I bought a D-link 8 port gigabit switch.

Here are the equipment that are going to go inside the panel. The panel has 2 AC outlets and I am planning on putting a power strip inside.

1) Cable Modem
2) 8 port switch
3) HD Home Run
4) all the AC/DC power supplies and power strips
5) RG6 cable splitter (I am getting 1-4 splitter right now - because I don't need TV cable in all rooms - might upgrade later with an amp).

Now, how do I attach them inside the panel so that they are all securely mounted inside. There are a lot of little holes - they are made for Leviton's own switches (costs a lot), etc. Is there a generic mounting hardware I can use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I just use some of that double-sided tape you can get at Home Depot. I think the one I use is from 3M. It's the one rated for outdoors and for a heavier load (~1" wide with red plastic) as the indoor stuff wouldn't hold.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 77
Leviton makes a plate that has a Velcro strap. You can search for the dimensions online.

Here is a post where that Leviton plate is mentioned:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post17730063

My modem is currently mounted in my Channel Vision enclosure with long zip ties, attached to a back plate, a 'temporary' solution that has been working well for more than a year.

'Industrial' Velcro, from HD/Lowes, also works decently.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #4 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

a 'temporary' solution that has been working well for more than a year.

There's nothing more permanent than temporary.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
This type of product can also work:

http://www.amazon.com/CHANNEL-VISION.../dp/B0006DNQYI

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt
post #6 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

This type of product can also work:

http://www.amazon.com/CHANNEL-VISION.../dp/B0006DNQYI

I had a dealer tell me that this bracket wouldn't fit the Leviton can, the holes won't line up. I'd love to use this if it would fit my can. Does anyone know for certain that it will work?

Thanks

Ken
post #7 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

I had a dealer tell me that this bracket wouldn't fit the Leviton can, the holes won't line up. I'd love to use this if it would fit my can. Does anyone know for certain that it will work?

Thanks

I believe channel vision and leviton products are interchangeable. I will find out in the near future as I will be ordering that channel vision bracket for my leviton box.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
post #8 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by facke02 View Post

Thanks

Yes it will mount in a Leviton can - the holes line up. I have used them.

There is a small unit and a large unit available - use the smaller one if you can - just to save space.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post

Yes it will mount in a Leviton can - the holes line up. I have used them.

There is a small unit and a large unit available - use the smaller one if you can - just to save space.

Thanks for the update... I'll order some and give them a try.

So both small and large will fit the Leviton can?

Thanks again...

Ken
post #10 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes both will fit - the large one takes up the entire width of the enclosure which makes getting to the "push pins" a bit of a problem but it does fit - I have my firewall/router mounted in one.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

I built a new house and installed a Leviton 42" structured wiring panel. I have the supply wires for the TV cable coming in there. I have 7 CAT6 and 7 RG6 from the various rooms coming there. I bought a D-link 8 port gigabit switch.

Here are the equipment that are going to go inside the panel. The panel has 2 AC outlets and I am planning on putting a power strip inside.

1) Cable Modem
2) 8 port switch
3) HD Home Run
4) all the AC/DC power supplies and power strips
5) RG6 cable splitter (I am getting 1-4 splitter right now - because I don't need TV cable in all rooms - might upgrade later with an amp).

Now, how do I attach them inside the panel so that they are all securely mounted inside. There are a lot of little holes - they are made for Leviton's own switches (costs a lot), etc. Is there a generic mounting hardware I can use?

Yes. They're called screws.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I use that CV large universal bracket for my switch, in a CV enclosure.

Search for the dimensions of the brackets online, to see if your modem will fit inside one.

Self-tapping screws are another good option, if holes don't line up. Careful of the tiny metal shavings that are generated from the screws, though. Don't let them fall into an open female connector somewhere, or onto an exposed control board. Back plates that are designed for the enclosure, that snap in neatly, are good to screw stuff into, rather than the enclosure. To each his own.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #13 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 04:16 AM

I just installed a Leviton panel (the smaller one, 14" model) in an open basement.

In my case I had it mounted to wood cross-bracing (don't worry, it looks pretty clean).

I like the clean look of the panel but wasn't interested in paying $6 for brackets that cost 6¢ to make.

Don't be afraid to use a screw through the back of the box and hang the switch on that. Drill a pilot hole first. I mounted an Ethernet patch panel the same way: screws. They're repositionable, they hold anything, it works great.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

The CV Large Universal Holder has the advantage of allowing cables to pass behind the switch, slightly neater. Zip ties also work, but not as elegant. Industrial Velcro, from HD/Lowes, works very well for small devices.

I mounted my modem and router into my steel enclosure using screws; keyhole slots on the backs of the devices. Good tip on the pilot holes. Be careful of cables and drywall, behind the enclosure, if you use this option. Also, be ware of tiny metal threads that are 'kicked up' by the drill bit or screw tip, that could fall into an open RJ45 port nearby. Some painters tape over the open ports works fine.

post #15 of 15 Old 03-19-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

There's nothing more permanent than temporary.

I actually just mounted my modem and router a few weeks ago, using screws. wink.gif

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page