help with music and movie storage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hi all. new to this site. some really great info here. i am trying to figure out the best way to store all of my cds and dvds digitally. i am not sure if i should just use a couple of external hard drives or if there are any other options. the problem is that i have about 2500 cds and about 300 dvds. they just take up too much space. it would be nice to have them all stored digitally and in one central place. ifanyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated. thanks for reading. jason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 AM

The options are almost endless. A lot of it depends on what your requirements and expectations are. Do you want to maintain the best image/sound possible or do you want to use compression to save space? Will you want to watch the movies from multiple locations/computers or just one? Do you have any BR or HD movies? Are you at all concerned that if you loose one hard drive, you would loose all the files?

Those are just a few of the many questions you need to ask yourself. The best place to start is in the Home Theater Computers section of this site. There is a lot of good info there.

As an example, I have about 350 DVDs (standard, HD and BR) and over 1000 CDs ripped. I store them on an UnRaid server (currently 5 TB) and can access them anywhere in my house either via a computer or Sage TV media extenders. I have one computer tied into my CAV6.6 so I can play music throughout the house.

The options can be a bit overwhelming at first, but the more you read, the more ideas you will get.

Tom

Best is what you perceive it to be, not what others tell you it is.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Sounds like a pretty good collection. As the previous poster mentioned, you need to put together a server for your media. If you don't want a lot of hassle, I recommend getting an HP MediaSmart Home Server. The UI is great and simple to understand. You can replace drives over time as you buy larger ones. It can sit in a back room and it only needs a power plug and ethernet.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...asmart-server/

-Jonathan
post #4 of 4 Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
To be honest, you're going down a rabbit hole with this one. I've been doing media servers and client pcs for last 9 years. Currently, I'm running a server with 2x2TB and two client PCs that wake it up when they come on.

Recommend you spend a lot of time in the Home-Theater PC section of the forum, read as much as you can.

Quick solution: Buy an out-of-the box PC with plenty of capability/expansion for harddrives, running Windows 7. Make sure it's 5.1/7/1 surround sound, support 1080i/p HDMI. Then, spend a lot of time ripping your DVDs/Music to it. After, BACK IT UP!!!! Preferably to an off-site harddrive.

I've had my music, DVDs, home-videos, and pics on my server, can't imagine going back to the manual method.

Good luck.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page