Rj45 cat6 splitter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i just bought this from microcenter http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0216030

it works. i have it connected to my uverse box so i can connect both my xbox 360 and blu ray player to the internet. the problem is it doesnt support cat 6. is there a splitter that supports cat6 ? i have some cat 5 cables but they are like 30 feet long each one. rather keep my shorter length cat 6 cables and get a better splitter.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-2-Po...N%3DB000Q5UMEI

that one says it supports up to 100MBps but doesnt say if its cat6 compatible.

which is a good splitter to get ? the last thing i want to buy is a switch or router so i got more equipment laying around.

the splitters work fine.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12
Be sure you know what these splitters actually do. You have to have one on each side, with one side connecting to your devices, and one side connecting to two ports on your switch. It does not act as a switch.

Also: What would be your reasoning for getting cat 6 ones? Another note, if you're using 1000BaseT Gigabit Ethernet, then these splitters won't work.
post #3 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntp View Post

Be sure you know what these splitters actually do. You have to have one on each side, with one side connecting to your devices, and one side connecting to two ports on your switch. It does not act as a switch.

Also: What would be your reasoning for getting cat 6 ones? Another note, if you're using 1000BaseT Gigabit Ethernet, then these splitters won't work.

right now im using this splitter http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0216030 have the male connected to my Uverse box. and i have my xbox 360 and blu ray player connected to the 2 female ports. and they both get a connection fine. im aware they both cant be connected to the internet at the same time. i dont have a problem with that. im just curious if there are any splitters like the one in the link that support cat 6 so it will be faster.

and im not using a switch.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #4 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

also would it be better do use this http://cgi.ebay.com/RJ45-CAT-5-6-LAN...item3eff92ef61

or the one from microcenter that i listed above ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #5 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM

These splitters will work with Cat 5, 5e, 6, whatever, but you will be limited to 100BaseT Ethernet (100 Mb/s). They take advantage of the fact that 10Base-T and 100Base-T Ethernet only use 2 of the 4 pairs on a standard Cat-5 run and use the extra 2 pairs to make a second path.

At any rate, if you're using this to access the Internet, Gigabit wouldn't give you any advantage over 100Base-T, since either way your connection will be much faster than your broadband speed. So you should be good sticking with the splitters you have.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy4 View Post

These splitters will work with Cat 5, 5e, 6, whatever, but you will be limited to 100BaseT Ethernet (100 Mb/s). They take advantage of the fact that 10Base-T and 100Base-T Ethernet only use 2 of the 4 pairs on a standard Cat-5 run and use the extra 2 pairs to make a second path.

At any rate, if you're using this to access the Internet, Gigabit wouldn't give you any advantage over 100Base-T, since either way your connection will be much faster than your broadband speed. So you should be good sticking with the splitters you have.

i can only have one cat 6 cable connected but just by itself. i hooked up my xbox with the cat 6 got a connection fine. the second i connected a cat5e cable to the splitter from my blu ray player i lost connection from xbox live. and no i didnt have my blu ray player on.

once i connected my xbox to the splitter with a cat 5 cable along with the cat5 cable from blu ray player it works fine.

i just wanted a better splitter that supports 2 cat 6 cables. but if they dont make a difference then i will stick with what i got.

so stick with this one http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0216030

not this one http://cgi.ebay.com/RJ45-CAT-5-6-LAN...item3eff92ef61

or which one you recomend ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #7 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly. Your setup won't work as described. You need 2 splitters -- they only work in pairs, one at each end of a run. One end with 2 connections to a switch or router, the other with 2 connections to your devices.

The eBay link looks like a plain Y splitter, and will not work for you.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy4 View Post

Sorry, I should have read your post more thoroughly. Your setup won't work as described.

you sure about that ? cause i have this splitter http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0216030

hooked up right now to my Uverse box and i can connect fine to xbox live and update my blu ray player. cant connect them both online at the same time but i dont have a problem with that. i was just tired of switching the ethernet cable back there back and fourth from my uverse box to xbox 360 then unpluging and connecting to blu ray player. with this ethernet switch it works how i want it. my question was at the begining if there are any cat 6 splitters because those are the only short length cables i have laying around the house. at this moment im having to use 2 30 ft cat5 cables.

and i felt more comfortable buying a better splitter thats compatible with cat 6 instead of buying new cables. but if it doesnt exist i guess buying the cat5 cables are my only option.

the splitter does work. just one device at a time. i dont think you will find to many people playing on xbox live and messing around on BD live at the same time lol.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #9 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

you sure about that ? cause i have this splitter http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0216030

hooked up right now to my Uverse box and i can connect fine to xbox live and update my blu ray player. cant connect them both online at the same time but i dont have a problem with that. i was just tired of switching the ethernet cable back there back and fourth from my uverse box to xbox 360 then unpluging and connecting to blu ray player. with this ethernet switch it works how i want it. my question was at the begining if there are any cat 6 splitters because those are the only short length cables i have laying around the house. at this moment im having to use 2 30 ft cat5 cables.

and i felt more comfortable buying a better splitter thats compatible with cat 6 instead of buying new cables. but if it doesnt exist i guess buying the cat5 cables are my only option.

the splitter does work. just one device at a time. i dont think you will find to many people playing on xbox live and messing around on BD live at the same time lol.

No offense but this is a pretty hood step-up; ethernet isn't ever supposed to be 'split' in the way you are doing it.

This is actually the right way to use ethernet and a 'better splitter' is actually a Hub or a Switch.
post #10 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSlayer View Post

No offense but this is a pretty hood step-up; ethernet isn't ever supposed to be 'split' in the way you are doing it.

This is actually the right way to use ethernet and a 'better splitter' is actually a Hub or a Switch.

but what is the downfall with the way i have it set up ? i mean it works and my connection seems fine with both devices. reason i didnt get a switch or hub i just dont want more equipment laying around.

if the modem was in my room sure i would hook up my blu ray player and xbox straight to it. but its downstairs in the main room.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #11 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Just use the short Cat6 cables with the current splitter.

Using the splitter will restrict the each connection to 2 pairs, which results in a max speed of 100Mbps, far below what even Cat5 is capable of.
post #12 of 23 Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sold View Post

Just use the short Cat6 cables with the current splitter.

Using the splitter will restrict the each connection to 2 pairs, which results in a max speed of 100Mbps, far below what even Cat5 is capable of.

ok thanks. off topic question. i have DSL with uverse and using an AC adapter with an ethernet port to my computer. my local area connection says 100.0 mbps and 1394 connection 400.0 mbps. which one is my current speed on my computer ? if its the 100.0 then thats not to bad then cause i download stuff in a sec.

if i connected my xbox directly to uverse box which is wireless and picks up an IP from the modem downstairs what speed would i be getting without the splitter.

also does it really make a difference to use crossover patch cables when using a splitter ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #13 of 23 Old 05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i have DSL with uverse and using an AC adapter with an ethernet port to my computer. my local area connection says 100.0 mbps and 1394 connection 400.0 mbps. which one is my current speed on my computer ? if its the 100.0 then thats not to bad then cause i download stuff in a sec.

Well, if you're not using firewire......

Quote:

if i connected my xbox directly to uverse box which is wireless and picks up an IP from the modem downstairs what speed would i be getting without the splitter.

If I even understand what you're trying to say, then the speed of your wireless AP.

Quote:

also does it really make a difference to use crossover patch cables when using a splitter ?

Depends on what your goal is and the ability of the equipment.

Quote:

i can only have one cat 6 cable connected but just by itself. i hooked up my xbox with the cat 6 got a connection fine. the second i connected a cat5e cable to the splitter from my blu ray player i lost connection from xbox live. and no i didnt have my blu ray player on.

You kept linking to the splitter you bought, but I guess you never read the caption under it:
"This 350MHz CAT5e splitter adaptor allows two computers to share one CAT5 port. Ideal for sharing high speed DSL & cable modem and ethernet port. Supports one active connection at a time."
post #14 of 23 Old 05-12-2010, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

You kept linking to the splitter you bought, but I guess you never read the caption under it:
"This 350MHz CAT5e splitter adaptor allows two computers to share one CAT5 port. Ideal for sharing high speed DSL & cable modem and ethernet port. Supports one active connection at a time."

i read it fine before buying. my main question was at the begining if there were any splitters like that one that support cat 6. and it works fine. and i am aware you can only have one active device connected oline at a time. anybody who is on xbox live and BD live at the same time has no life.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #15 of 23 Old 05-12-2010, 06:30 PM

cat6 is completly backwards compatable with cat 5 - I think that's what you're asking. No need to use cat5 cause the splitter is just for cat5, cat6 cable will work fine.

I'd like to add: I have no idea how this is working!?! This really shouldn't work, or at least shouldn't work well. I'd strongly suggest running 2 cables, or just adding a switch. You can get some small, cheap switches, and if you hide it well, no one will ever know it's there.

Do you have a router of any type? Like a linksys or similar?
post #16 of 23 Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

cat6 is completly backwards compatable with cat 5 - I think that's what you're asking. No need to use cat5 cause the splitter is just for cat5, cat6 cable will work fine.

I'd like to add: I have no idea how this is working!?! This really shouldn't work, or at least shouldn't work well. I'd strongly suggest running 2 cables, or just adding a switch. You can get some small, cheap switches, and if you hide it well, no one will ever know it's there.

Do you have a router of any type? Like a linksys or similar?

only have a modem. ive been on xbox live for like 2 hours today playing borderlands. was connected fine the whole time. if i turn off my xbox and turn on blu ray player i can update or go on BD live.

and yeah i took care of the cat6 cat 5 problem. it works with both. at 1st it disconnected my connection with xbox live though the 1st time i added the other cable even though the blu ray player wasnt on. after i got everything hooked up and turned everything off then turned on xbox again then it was fine.

i am running 2 cables. one from the xbox and the other blu ray to the splitter. i think it automatically detects a signal. kinda like the HDMI splitters do

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #17 of 23 Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

and yeah i took care of the cat6 cat 5 problem. it works with both. at 1st it disconnected my connection with xbox live though the 1st time i added the other cable even though the blu ray player wasnt on. after i got everything hooked up and turned everything off then turned on xbox again then it was fine.

i am running 2 cables. one from the xbox and the other blu ray to the splitter. i think it automatically detects a signal. kinda like the HDMI splitters do

No, it's doing nothing of the sort. It's just a simple wire splitter, and this works only because, with one device turned off (really off, not in a standby-with-network-activity), there's no conflicts on the wire. This is a true wire-splitter, aka a Y-jack. Haven't seen this thing before, so it may have some diodes to help mask the "not in use" wire.

Yes, we know it works, but this is a really a hack and asking for weird issues in the future. For the $10 cost of that splitter, you are most of the way to a nice cheap $15 Ethernet switch that would do this RIGHT...

And the Cat5 vs. Cat6 question is moot. You're limited in speed by the maximum connection speed of these devices, not the wire. The Xbox will connect at 100Mb to the switch/modem, but your Internet connection is well below that speed, which will be the limiting factor.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #18 of 23 Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM

Liked: 14
Oh for pete's sake JUST BUY A SWITCH.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles View Post

Oh for pete's sake JUST BUY A SWITCH.

why ? what are the downfalls with the way i have it connected ?

i mean i can connect online fine now and it saves me the trouble from going back and there and switching the ethernet from my xbox and blu ray player ever night. reason i didnt get a switch or hub is because i just dont want more equipment laying around. i got enough as it is.

using a switch or hub isnt going to make a big difference with the transfer rate or speed would it ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #20 of 23 Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

what are the downfalls with the way i have it connected ?

The double termination you currently have on that line could be causeing dropped packets due to noise as a result of signal reflections.

Quote:

using a switch or hub isnt going to make a big difference with the transfer rate or speed would it ?

A switch would allow both devices to be used at the same time. There wouldn't be an impedance mismatch, like you have now...you could see a speed improvement due to this.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-13-2010, 07:56 PM

what your really need is a home broadband router, linksys or similar.

That'll do NAT and all sorts of other goodies, so you actually can have more than one thing on at once. Then you can have a computer, etc. connected also.

I'm amazed that this actually works at all. I doubt it's working well. I'd equate it to driving a car around that was only firing on half the cylinders. Sure, it may drive now, but it isn't right, and probably won't run like that for long.

Add a router and just deal with the one extra box. It's not that bad, I promise
post #22 of 23 Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

what your really need is a home broadband router, linksys or similar.

That'll do NAT and all sorts of other goodies, so you actually can have more than one thing on at once. Then you can have a computer, etc. connected also.

I'm amazed that this actually works at all. I doubt it's working well. I'd equate it to driving a car around that was only firing on half the cylinders. Sure, it may drive now, but it isn't right, and probably won't run like that for long.

Add a router and just deal with the one extra box. It's not that bad, I promise

i could get a router but it would have to be one of the wireless ones because the modem is downstairs. wireless ones are more pricey.

or i could get another plug link adapter. if i got another one of those i could hook it up to my 360 and use the Uverse box for the blu ray player. the problem is i doubt AT&T gives those out for free. the 1st one i got for free since i showed them my computer doesnt have WIFI when they wired my house. and for some reason a network card didnt pick up a good signal so i got the pluglink ethernet adapter.

and also when i was playing UNO on xbox live where you wait for other players to join all my lights were filled. that shows i have a strong connection. i dont see alot of players that have all 9 lights lit

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #23 of 23 Old 05-19-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:

i could get a router but it would have to be one of the wireless ones because the modem is downstairs. wireless ones are more pricey.

I'm confused. You can run a long (cat-5) cable from the modem to the router (or use the one in the wall if you have that). So you could stay with wired.

Cat-6 as has been pointed out is of no benefit in your situation. You can mix/match the cables as you wish.

I would get a switch, but if this splitter is working for you you can stick with it. Don't worry that it's not Cat-6. That's a non-issue.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page