Cat5e question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I found a steal on some Cat5(e)? cable on Craigslist... but I want to make sure it is right before completing four runs to each room in my house. He had it listed as cat5, but I suspect it is "e".

I got a 1000' box for just $5, which is why I went for it even though I wasn't 100% it is cat5e instead of just cat5. And to my surprise when I popped the box open there were 200 connectors and the crimping tool for attaching them.... so the deal was even sweeter than I thought. On the box it is labeled as cat5, but it also has a sticker on the box that says "certified cat5 or cat5e, up to 350mhz".

Is there any way I can tell by any markings on the cable that it is, indeed cat5e?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 345
It might say on the cable itself, but if the sticker mentions both Cat5 and Cat5e, it's probably 5e... If there's a brand/make/model # on the box or on the wire itself, a Google search may tell you for sure.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It might say on the cable itself, but if the sticker mentions both Cat5 and Cat5e, it's probably 5e... If there's a brand/make/model # on the box or on the wire itself, a Google search may tell you for sure.

Jeff

Perfect. Thanks for the advice!
post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dooomi View Post

Ok, I found a steal ...I got a 1000' box for just $5, ... when I popped the box open there were 200 connectors and the crimping tool for attaching them...

Sounds like your first statement could be literally true. I am not a lawyer but the phrase 'receiving stolen property' keeps waving its hands and jumping up and down.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
A box of cable, connectors and a crimp tool. Somewhere there is an IT installer missing some inventory.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
track down the owner using a serial number? is that possible?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post

Sounds like your first statement could be literally true. I am not a lawyer but the phrase 'receiving stolen property' keeps waving its hands and jumping up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

A box of cable, connectors and a crimp tool. Somewhere there is an IT installer missing some inventory.

That could be the case, but after going to the guy's house I somewhat doubt it. He lived in a 5-6,000 SF house... fully automated including surveillance. Two Mercedes in the driveway, a Porsche and Range Rover in the garage. He told me he had bought it when he was building the house to prewire... but after doing research decided to go cat6 instead. It was new construction (I'd say within the last four months judging by the surrounding area).

I could be wrong, but he just doesn't seem like the kind of person who would risk/waste the time on Craigslist to make five bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

track down the owner using a serial number? is that possible?

Not possible.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
$5 bux!? Either they are Chinese made cables with the fume that destroys your walls or the seller is a really bad salesman.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #9 of 11 Old 05-22-2010, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
If he lived in that kind of place, why worry about making 5 bucks on the cable? Anyone else would have given it away or dumped it IMO.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmologist View Post

If he lived in that kind of place, why worry about making 5 bucks on the cable? Anyone else would have given it away or dumped it IMO.

Not necessarily. I "Dump" stuff on CL instead of throwing it away, for folks that really could not afford to buy it new. Putting a small price on it, keeps the professional freebie collectors away.

hey, the bottom line is, it is what it is. I would have liked to find that kind of deal in a situation that looked legit.

Jack
post #11 of 11 Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibjib View Post

Not necessarily. I "Dump" stuff on CL instead of throwing it away, for folks that really could not afford to buy it new. Putting a small price on it, keeps the professional freebie collectors away.

hey, the bottom line is, it is what it is. I would have liked to find that kind of deal in a situation that looked legit.

Jack

That's pretty much what he said when I asked why it was so cheap.

He said he just wanted it gone, and figured if he could help somebody else out in the process he would.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page