Recomendation for a cheap multi room amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am currently building a house and I would like to be able to stream my itunes library from room to room. Right now, the plan is to have 5 different zones throughout the house. Each zone consists of 2 JBL in ceiling speakers.

What I plan to do is to steam my iTunes library via my Airport Express to an amp and control the whole set up via my iPhone.

My question is what sort of cost effective amp would you recommend to power those speakers? I don't have a ton of money to spend and would love to spend under $500.

I'd love the amp to have a stand by mode that turns on only when it senses a music signal.

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM

If all you need is an amp, the HTD DMA-1240 is a very reasonably priced 12 channel amp (40 watts per channel)...it's a little over your price though but only by a couple hundred.

Other than that, you can look at the Emotiva amps (UPA5). There's a 5 channel amp and you can get two of them for a total of 10 channels. Definitely overkill for your application.

I'm currently in a similar situation and I'm leaning towards the Emotiva amps. Buying two of them will be a couple hundred over the HTD and will definitely be overkill.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you want to listen to different music in each zone?

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the resonse. It would be nice to have differnt music for different areas but I don't need to have it. The HTD sounds like a good option, I just wish there was a cheaper one.

I'm guessing I could get a cheaper amp and use a speaker selector. Would that work?

Mirkwood Home Theater
post #5 of 10 Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 AM

I am looking for the same thing to use with my squeezeboxes. Have you looked at the Dayton MA1240 Multi-Zone 12 Channel Amplifier? It sells for about $450 at amazon. It has the auto on and off when it senses music. I have been looking for reviews on it.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-20-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, that Dayton looks like a great option as well! I don't know much about that product but I know Parts Express sells it and they are pretty reliable. I'd like to read some reviews/opinions about both.

Mirkwood Home Theater
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 07:19 PM

Check out the Sherwood Rx-5502. I have 4 rooms of in ceiling speakers wired to it. It has two amps, so you can be running two sources (fm radio and your iTunes for example) to two rooms each simultaneously.

Huge downfall? No rf remote, just a regular ir. Makes controlling it in other rooms a pain without a clunky extender.

Upside? $150ish online.

I saw your post when I came here looking for a multi zone audio receiver that can be controlled with an iPhone or a web app for less than $500. I want to dump the rf repeaters and get something better.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rx5502.html
post #8 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks that's a great recommendation!

Mirkwood Home Theater
post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

Thanks that's a great recommendation!

Also found this while searching last night....Sherwood RX-773. It has a built in rf/ir remote for multi room use, 5 inputs, and it has 4 sets of speaker terminals on the back so I guess it is for 4 rooms.

I can't find a picture of the remote so if anybody finds one let me know, says it has an LCD. It's more expensive though, at $350 or so online.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_rx773.html

I'd really like to find a multi zone amp that's network controllable or iPhone/iPod controllable. So far only $1200+ units. I'm not Mark Cuban enough for that.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM

I wouldn't buy a reciever to do an amps job. I personally own the Dayton MA1240, its a solid amplifier. It hands down has more clean power than my old Pioneer VSX1015-TX which is a thx select rated amplifier with "120w RMS/channel" even though the power draw off the wall is only 500w... lol.

The amp is great, has a small fan in it, its not loud, but i can hear it if im listening to really quiet music to fall asleep. Can use a bit more heatsinking, as the chassis gets a bit warm with extended use.
Aside from that, i've had it running 8 of the channels in bridged mono, to 4 subwoofers, (these subs were 4 ohm, and the amp ran well at 4 ohm, and bridged. even though its not supposed to) As well as used the other 4 channels bridged to power various custom speakers at a DIY event, With loads ranging from 4 ohm to 8 ohm.

This amp was incredibly useful, there was very little playing required to get everything level matched. We used a behringer DEQ to take the optical SPDIF in, and convert it to AES. as well as used the RTA to level match all of the subwoofers for a head to head comparison. A Behringer DCX2496 was used in digital mode as the low pass for the subs, and high pass for the diy speakers. Also the DCX was able to set high-pass for the subs.

This setup is worth its weight in gold. $450 amp, and 2x $300 behringer peices, and you've got more control than you know what to do with.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page