Coax to Cat5 video balun ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I recently moved into a new home, and have a question regarding an HDTV hookup. While the house was being built, I planned for mounting an HDTV above the fireplace / mantel, and had a coax cable and a power outlet pre-wired in the correct location. My initial plan was to just put the cable box on the mantel, and run the output signal from the cable box to the TV.

During our "pre-drywall walk-through" the builder encouraged us to go with their "plasma TV package" which we did. This setup essentially transmits component / composite / stereo sound from "point a" in the corner of the room to "point b" above the fireplace. The connectors are wired with cat5 cable. Up to this point, I have no questions.

Unfortunately, when the builder convinced us to go with their option, they neglected to tell us that this upgrade did not come with a coax run as well. Thus, while I can move an HD signal from the corner of the room over component cables, I have nothing to hook the cable box up to.

Fortunately, when the video option was changed half way through, it appears that the coax was left in place behind the wall (though the f connector was cut off). This cable terminates at "point b" above the fireplace. I'm assuming this cable is still home run to the distribution point, and will verify this before undergoing any project. I'm also fortunate that when the HD package was wired, they included an extra cat5 cable from point a in the corner of the room to point b above the fireplace.

So my question is, can I get a video balun such as the one below, connect the coax at point b to to the cat5 at point b (with all this hidden behind the wall), then convert it back to coax at point a, terminating in a standard coax jack? If I do this, will the cable box be able to receive a full signal (I'm using Verizon FiOS in Howard County, MD)?

Thanks very much for any comment or suggestions.

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/mux-500302.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Well, according to the MuxLab FAQ, I'd say maybe...

http://www.muxlab.com/assets/files/F...un_II_FAQs.pdf

I don't know what the implications of the 2-way FIOS communications would be - but the 870MHz bandwidth is "within the 900MHz bandwidth of the balun"... The good news is that your run is short, bad news is that I think the only way to know is to order a pair and see. Although you might try calling/emailing MuxLab first - they're sharp guys and may know the answer...

And I'm assuming your new "point A" isn't in a place that you can easily run a new coax drop (any attic/basement access?)...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 11 Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 AM

Liked: 15
Doesn't fios also just support their cable boxes on cat5 as well? Do you have home-runs of cat 5 and you could do fios that way rather than over coax?
post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I wanted to report that this does in fact work. Yippee!
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Cool! Glad to hear it - another MuxLab product / solution to keep in the back pocket for future reference...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #6 of 11 Old 02-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Hate to be repetitious here but I think I'm doing about the same. I'm trying to get a cable tv signal to a projector which is in an area with only network jacks. I should be able to take two baluns, such as the Muxlabs, go from rg6 to cat5, then back to rg6, to a tuner and into the projector correct for at least decent quality video and audio?

Thanks.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-24-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiken View Post

Hate to be repetitious here but I think I'm doing about the same. I'm trying to get a cable tv signal to a projector which is in an area with only network jacks. I should be able to take two baluns, such as the Muxlabs, go from rg6 to cat5, then back to rg6, to a tuner and into the projector correct for at least decent quality video and audio?

Why not place the cable box at the other end, and use any one of a number of HDMI-over-cat5 baluns to make the run to the projector? We KNOW that will work.

(gee, answering a valid, topic-related question in a 3-year-old thread - first time for everything!!! biggrin.gif)

post #8 of 11 Old 02-24-2013, 04:52 PM

there is no set top box involved, just standard cable with a tuner of some sort, or maybe just a vcr... although this would work good if I was using a set top
post #9 of 11 Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

there is no set top box involved, just standard cable with a tuner of some sort, or maybe just a vcr... although this would work good if I was using a set top

Finding a tuner that will work these days is really tough, and the inexpensive ones won't output in high def (they were made for the digital transition) nor decode most cable TV. You're going to be better off getting a set-top box - who's your provider? Even if you're just using OTA, you'll still want to place the tuner elsewhere, assuming you want to connect the audio to something (the projector won't have speakers...)

Jeff

post #10 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 02:15 AM

The idea was to be basic (no hd needed), I was hoping to feed the 80 standard time warner channels from rg6 to cat5 back to rg6 then using a VCR and rcas I could connect video to the projector and audio to portable speakers.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The idea was to be basic (no hd needed), I was hoping to feed the 80 standard time warner channels from rg6 to cat5 back to rg6 then using a VCR and rcas I could connect video to the projector and audio to portable speakers.

Well, you can run to the VCR first, then use a composite video balun to run over cat5 to the projector. But note that the "80 standard TWC channels" will very likely go away in the not too distant future, if they haven't already.

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page