Helpful advice on setting up a SWM 16 from DirecTv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
juridical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By no means am I an expert. I just spent 3 days and many hours working with a n00b from DirecTV to connect four HDDVRs and one regular DVR with a SWM16 (Single Wire Multiswitch 16).

First and foremost, you will save a lot of time if you:
1. Have each of your coax lines labeled.
2. Disconnect each DVR from the power source and each coax line.
3. Follow the attached wiring diagram for the SWM16 and splitters.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, connect the coax to the SWM16 one connection and only bring ONE DVR up at a time.

We preconnected everything and tried to bring the DVRs up and two tv's worked and three did not. After about 8 hours of working with home office I asked the DirecTV installer to leave and get help for the next day. The next day he brought his trainer with him and decided that I needed a SWM16 instead of a SWM8 because I have 5 TVs. The SWM systems combines the two tuners into one wire, so if you have more 4 DVRs you have 8 tuners. I have 5 so I needed a SWM16.

So the very next day, the technician brought his supervisor because even with the SWM16 three TVs did not work. This is when we found out that you should disconnect each DVR and connect each input one at a time. You need to bring up the DVRs in a serial fashion so that it starts to load the software. After you start loading you may move on to the next connection. This takes longer, but it is the only way it will work.

Again, I am no expert, but if you have 5 or more TVs and want to use your SWM16 this should save you some time.

I'm open to any questions if you have them. Attached is the proper wiring diagram for the device.
LL
LL

Home theater:
Onkyo TX-NR807, Emotiva XPA300, PS4, XBox 360, Popcorn Hour
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers L/R, Sierra Horizon C, (4) HTM-200 SE Surrounds, Dual SVS PB12 Plus subwoofers, Harmony 900
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 106" 2,35:1 fixed screen
juridical is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Newbie
 
skorch992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to post this! It is the only diagram i have found online that shows the swm 16.
skorch992 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
juridical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You're welcome! No one should have to spend as much time with a DirecTV installer as I have.


Home theater:
Onkyo TX-NR807, Emotiva XPA300, PS4, XBox 360, Popcorn Hour
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers L/R, Sierra Horizon C, (4) HTM-200 SE Surrounds, Dual SVS PB12 Plus subwoofers, Harmony 900
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 106" 2,35:1 fixed screen
juridical is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Member
 
Techphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
real world installation
LL
Techphil is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 02-21-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
juridical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sweet wiring job Techphil.

Home theater:
Onkyo TX-NR807, Emotiva XPA300, PS4, XBox 360, Popcorn Hour
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers L/R, Sierra Horizon C, (4) HTM-200 SE Surrounds, Dual SVS PB12 Plus subwoofers, Harmony 900
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 106" 2,35:1 fixed screen
juridical is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 02-22-2011, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
herdfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 2,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by juridical View Post

Attached is the proper wiring diagram for the device.

Except that terminators are not shown on open ports.

You must have some wiring issues because when I installed my SWiM16, I just removed my old WB616, hooked the wires up (everything was already labeled) and powered it up. Went around a rebooted each DVR and everything worked fine.

Please do not send me PM's asking for software! You will not get it.
herdfan is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 AM
Newbie
 
deltalimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,
to run the 4 DVR's and 1 HD receiver which splitters are required - SPLIT4 or SPLIT8. Do the DVR's run on one or two coax feeds?
Regards
Deltalimey
deltalimey is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 05-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Member
 
Techphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
you will need 2 split 8's. with four dvrs and one hd you have 9 tuners. put the 4 dvrs one one split 8 with 4 terminators and the hd recevier on the other split 8 with 7 terminators.
Techphil is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Newbie
 
deltalimey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Many thanks we'll git'r'done!!!!!!
Cheers
Deltalimey
deltalimey is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 12:26 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
damon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TechPhil & anyone else w knowledge,

My only path for DirectTv service will have to be by sharing a dish with my neighbor. I have no possibility of seeing the Sats due to huge trees.

I can almost understand how this could work with some of the Sonora Design SWM kits, but I need to fully understand 4 receivers in one residence 2 HD-DVRs of which DVRs', and a single line to the non sat dish residence for 3 receivers total w 2 HD-DVRs?

This is in no way an attempt to avoid a bill! aka, theft!

thanks!

Mark Conner
damon is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by damon View Post

I can almost understand how this could work with some of the Sonora Design SWM kits, but I need to fully understand 4 receivers in one residence 2 HD-DVRs of which DVRs', and a single line to the non sat dish residence for 3 receivers total w 2 HD-DVRs?

So with 4 DVRs and 3 more receivers, you need a total of 11 tuners, with no more than 8 on either 'half'. So a SWM16 would work - run one of the two SWM8 outputs to each house.

Quote:


This is in no way an attempt to avoid a bill! aka, theft!

Good thing, since sharing a dish won't help you do that...


Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
post #12 of 20 Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM
Member
 
Techphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ignore my previous im. i misread what you wanted to do.

you can do this with a swm16 and two 8 way splitters.

4 lines to swm16 from dish

one line out each to two 8way splitters on in your house one in your neighbors house.

one line from the splittter to each box in each house.

Techphil is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 08-15-2012, 12:41 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
damon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kind of put this on the back burner but my Cable Bill makes this again a priority.

Mark Conner
damon is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Newbie
 
Beth Keenan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are two questions about the set up for the SWM16 diagram above. What do the swm8 splitters look like? We have 5 receivers (basic) and need to set them up using the SWM16 on a dual LNB. What two inputs do we use on the bottom? Frustrated.
Beth Keenan is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 09-20-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
juridical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth Keenan View Post

There are two questions about the set up for the SWM16 diagram above. What do the swm8 splitters look like? We have 5 receivers (basic) and need to set them up using the SWM16 on a dual LNB. What two inputs do we use on the bottom? Frustrated.





I had to bring one receiver up at a time, meaning I connected one, waited for it to load form the satellite before I connected the next. PITA.

Home theater:
Onkyo TX-NR807, Emotiva XPA300, PS4, XBox 360, Popcorn Hour
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers L/R, Sierra Horizon C, (4) HTM-200 SE Surrounds, Dual SVS PB12 Plus subwoofers, Harmony 900
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 106" 2,35:1 fixed screen
juridical is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 10-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Member
 
Randyman...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

After numerous Google searches, I remain unsure if the unused "Legacy" LNB ports on my SWM16 were meant to be capped and left as an "open circuit" (only weather sealed), or if they were designed to be terminated (with a 75 Ohm terminator)?

It looks like my DirecTV installer guy terminated them - but I've seen conflicting documentation and forum postings floating about that state to use a cap (not a terminator) on the SWM-16's four legacy ports. My SWM16 does seem to run warm as-is (hopefully normal), and the attic it's mounted in will be another 30 degrees hotter come summertime - I'm looking to get this sorted well before then smile.gif ...


Current configuration (after my mods!) is:
  • 4LNB Dish to SWM16
  • SWM DC Power Inserter feeds dedicated SWM16 "DC" port (open "to IRD" port is terminated)
  • SWM16 "SWM Port #1" to 8-Way Splitter: Feeds HR23-700 w/DCA2SR0-18; HR24-700; Genie Mini Extender (5 open ports terminated)
  • SWM16 "SWM Port #2" to HR34 Genie (with Ethernet Internet connection / System Gateway)


Thanks for any confirmation!
Randy V
Randyman... is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 02-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Newbie
 
thedon0301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by juridical View Post

By no means am I an expert. I just spent 3 days and many hours working with a n00b from DirecTV to connect four HDDVRs and one regular DVR with a SWM16 (Single Wire Multiswitch 16).


First and foremost, you will save a lot of time if you:

1. Have each of your coax lines labeled.

2. Disconnect each DVR from the power source and each coax line.

3. Follow the attached wiring diagram for the SWM16 and splitters.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY, connect the coax to the SWM16 one connection and only bring ONE DVR up at a time.


We preconnected everything and tried to bring the DVRs up and two tv's worked and three did not. After about 8 hours of working with home office I asked the DirecTV installer to leave and get help for the next day. The next day he brought his trainer with him and decided that I needed a SWM16 instead of a SWM8 because I have 5 TVs. The SWM systems combines the two tuners into one wire, so if you have more 4 DVRs you have 8 tuners. I have 5 so I needed a SWM16.


So the very next day, the technician brought his supervisor because even with the SWM16 three TVs did not work. This is when we found out that you should disconnect each DVR and connect each input one at a time. You need to bring up the DVRs in a serial fashion so that it starts to load the software. After you start loading you may move on to the next connection. This takes longer, but it is the only way it will work.


Again, I am no expert, but if you have 5 or more TVs and want to use your SWM16 this should save you some time.


I'm open to any questions if you have them. Attached is the proper wiring diagram for the device.
LL

LL
thedon0301 is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 02-26-2014, 03:14 PM
Newbie
 
thedon0301's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I'm hooking up a 16 ch single wire multi switch. Which port does my satellite plug into.(single wire from LNB)
thedon0301 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 02-26-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
juridical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try the 18v 110 port on the bottom. I have the most luck with that satellite for some reason. I have never connected a single lmb so I am just guessing.

Home theater:
Onkyo TX-NR807, Emotiva XPA300, PS4, XBox 360, Popcorn Hour
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers L/R, Sierra Horizon C, (4) HTM-200 SE Surrounds, Dual SVS PB12 Plus subwoofers, Harmony 900
Panasonic PT-AE4000 on a 106" 2,35:1 fixed screen
juridical is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jautor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,843
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedon0301 View Post

Hey, I'm hooking up a 16 ch single wire multi switch. Which port does my satellite plug into.(single wire from LNB)

If there's a single wire coming from the dish - this is either already a SWM dish, or an old single-LNB dish. Either way, you can't hook those up to the SWM16 and create more channels...

If it's a SWM dish, you've got 8 channels available and just need a compatible splitter. If you need more than 8 tuner support, you'll have to get some other equipment.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

jautor is online now  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off