is there a cheap way to ditribute hd video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey everybody

this is my first post. right now i have 3 airpot express routers and 3 stereos plugged into them and a remote on my iphone to access all my music and play them on any speakers in my house. I would like to do the same with all the video i have on my computer. I would like to play it on any display in my house and control it with my iphone. if i can do it with sound can i do it with video? Is there a cost effective way to do this? i need to be able to play .avi files. Any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

In a word, No, at least if by cost effective you mean something that doesn't cost a least a $grand. There are some HD modulators available, such as from ZeeVee, and schemes to put HD over your computer IP network, such as from Just Add Power, but none are cheap.

If you are satisfied with an SD picture, then you could use an NTSC modulator over standard coax, which is relatively inexpensive.

Edit: Also see http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1259490.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

For HD video, you have to process & send at least 1000 times more data every second, compared with audio. I guess we should be thankful those solutions only cost 10x more than audio, not 1000x. And HD video tends to be hobbled by complex DRM schemes, HDCP copy-protection, etc - much more so than audio.

Eventually it'll become cheaper & mainstream, but for now HD video distribution is still pricey.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Being a Windows Media Center user, of course I will recommend it as a relatively inexpensive solution. All you need is an Xbox at each site and a Cat5e (theoretically you could do it with a wireless adapter but I'm not going to recommend that). Xboxes are now $150 or less.

I have this kind of setup except i've centralized the xboxes (because of noise issues and the fact that I don't want to see AV equipment at the viewing sites). It streams HDTV, HD movies (in various formats), music, pictures, etc. I'm very happy with it.

-Jonathan
post #5 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Liked: 12
How many HDTV's you got??? If under 5, This could be done cheaply....

Simply use a 3x5 Component Matrix Switcher.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-4097.../dp/B001ACXCM0

You could put a "Apple Tv" into one of the inputs and it can be in sync with all the TV's in the house

This is what I use and it works great. I'm not sure if it could be controlled via iPod/iPad
post #6 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob black View Post

How many HDTV's you got??? If under 5, This could be done cheaply....

Simply use a 3x5 Component Matrix Switcher.

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-4097.../dp/B001ACXCM0

Unless he happens to have 5 coax cables home-run to each TV location, I'm not sure this really qualifies as "cheap".
post #7 of 9 Old 07-11-2010, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I have 3 tvs and fishing wire is no problem. So my big question is with that matrics switch idea can I display different things on all 3? Just for reference I have about 500 to spend but the cheaper the better. Thanks for all the help so far
post #8 of 9 Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprcarpentry View Post

I have 3 tvs and fishing wire is no problem. So my big question is with that matrics switch idea can I display different things on all 3? Just for reference I have about 500 to spend but the cheaper the better. Thanks for all the help so far

Yes, that's exactly what a "matrix" switch allows. Each of the 5 outputs (TVs) can be independently switched to any of the 3 input sources. Be aware that switches like this are controlled by IR remote, not by iPhone or wifi natively. You'll have to figure out how to send IR control signals to it remotely, if you're not always within line-of-sight.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanrn View Post

I have this kind of setup except i've centralized the xboxes (because of noise issues and the fact that I don't want to see AV equipment at the viewing sites). It streams HDTV, HD movies (in various formats), music, pictures, etc. I'm very happy with it.

-Jonathan

I use Windows 7 and MyMovies to stream to xbox media center. IT works pretty well over my wireless, but I will be hardwiring it very soon for a more stable trnsfer of data.

Jonathan, How did you centralize the xboxes and get control over them and the separate signals to each tv?

"Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."
Ronnie
XBL Tag: HKK Lawdog2k
Webshot pictures
Flikr pictures
Click here to see my DVD's
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page