Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2010, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi All,

I am very novice at these things so please forgive any ignorance on my part. I am doing my place up and installing AV & Computer/Networking cabling. I will be working via Laptop at one end of the room & all my equipment will be at the other. I have installed all cables I need including Cat5e & Cat6 inside walls & under the floor and these cables terminate at female wall-plates on each opposite facing wall.

As I will not be able to rewire or amend things later on, I wish to future proof by incorporating USB 3.0 cabling for its much faster speeds and be able to connect the tomorrow's equipment that will have USB 3.0 connections. One example I can give is when I wish to transfer large amounts of data from my laptop to a HTPC or Hard Drives which is some distance away. I also plan on downloading lots of High Definition content on my laptop & then transferring it via USB 3.0 cable to a HTPC or external Hard Drives & I do not want things to transfer across at a snail's pace!

At present, the longest USB 3.0 cables I can find are 5 metres but this is too short & I need about 8-10 metres. At present, I would have to buy two USB 3.0 cables with a USB 3.0 Repeater which are very difficult to find & will probably be initially very expensive.

In view of this I would like to ask, if any feel that it would be possible to utilise both USB.3.0 to Cat5e/Cat6 together for data transfer? What I mean is will there likely be available some sort of adapter that will convert a USB 3.0 connector to a Cat5e/Cat6 ones or a wired dongle adapter that will have a USB 3.0 connection at one end & a Cat5e/Cat6 connection at the other - rather like say a mini-display port to HDMI adapter?

I hope I have been not too unclear and what I am trying to get across has been understood by all but I really need help with this!

Many Thanks,

Bazzy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-18-2010, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't find anything that used USB 3.0 but did find one that supports 2.0. http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-47-2014.html. It comes with either 1 port or 4 port models.

That said, why not just set up a switch and use the cat5e/cat6 cable as your link if all you are doing is sending/receiving data from your laptop to your htpc. If you want to future proof, run fiber and then you'll be set.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You would be better using Gigabit Ethernet. Current HDD drives are not that fast unless you are using top end SSD's. 10 GBASE-T was ratified in 2006. So in the next couple of years should start becoming available. On Cat 6 can go up to 55m. Cat 6a & 7 up to 100m.

Remember USB does not operate at a fixed speed it fluctuates dependant on PC available CPU and other external conditions.

Also USB is half duplex (comunication in one direction at a time) unless it is USB 3.0 device.

Warning as part of the USB certification a USB 1.1 device can carry the USB Super Speed logo as it is USB 3.0 compatible. The USB 3.0 port senses that the device can only operate at USB 1.1 speeds and adjusts acordingly by sending the data via the bridge section of the USB3 hub chip.

Watch out for USB devices on ebay that claim to be USB3 but have the incorrect connectors so cannot possibly support USB3's Full Duplex functionality. USB3 ports & cables have 9 contacts instead of 4.

Max lenght of any USB cable without a repeater is 5 meters. If the cable is longer than 5 meters then it should have a built in repeater.

Neil
post #4 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Why did you install Cat-5e and Cat-6? Cat-6 is all you really need for now. As far as future proofing, the only way to do that for sure is to install your cabling in a conduit. That way you can easily pull any new cable/technology when available.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Well, THREE YEARS AGO, when this thread was started, cat6 was expensive... smile.gif

(and yes, I'm going to plead again with the AVS forum runner to request the "posting to old thread" warning from the software guys... This is really annoying)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #6 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
^^^^ oops, my mistake. I didn't read back far enough.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-18-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 373
At least you didn't waste your 5,000th post on that one! biggrin.gif

(for those reading later, it was his post 4998 and 4999)

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Home A/V Distribution