IR over cat5e with keystone adapters?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ran a bunch of cat6 and cat5e wire and since I had extra cat5e wire, I decided to run that for possible IR distribution. The longest is 125ft and most are 75ft to 110ft.

I think I need a block and emitter, but how to connect the cat5e between the block and receivers??

I found this item from parts express. They advertise it for wall jacks for receivers, but does anyone know if it will work on block end as well? Has anyone used these before. The link is http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...&vReviewShow=1

Would I be better off with a some sort of distribution box for the block and emitter like the buffalo http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=182-319, but this is limited to 8 and I may need like 10.

What overall brand of equipment is recommended.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgn2000 View Post

I

I think I need a block and emitter, but how to connect the cat5e between the block and receivers??

You can use the 3.5mm jack on the receiver end and either just wire the cat5/6 directly to the connecting block or add another 3.5mm jack on the "block end" and then use a 3 cond 3.5mm cord from the block to the jack.

As far as a connecting block that has enough current to power 10 emitters, we use a xantech 791-44 It can accept a hardwire input or a 3.5mm input from the receiver.

There are quite a few decent mfg of IR distribution products out there.. we have used xantech for years and because of its reliability we have found no reason to change
post #3 of 15 Old 07-20-2010, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 548
The Hot Link XL supports using long lengths of Ethernet for controlling gear via IR over long distances.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspencer View Post

You can use the 3.5mm jack on the receiver end and either just wire the cat5/6 directly to the connecting block or add another 3.5mm jack on the "block end" and then use a 3 cond 3.5mm cord from the block to the jack.

As far as a connecting block that has enough current to power 10 emitters, we use a xantech 791-44 It can accept a hardwire input or a 3.5mm input from the receiver.

There are quite a few decent mfg of IR distribution products out there.. we have used xantech for years and because of its reliability we have found no reason to change

It sounds like you can only connect 1 receiver to this. I will have up to 10 receivers. As for emitters, I don't really need more then 4. Is there something else for 10 receivers.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just ran a bunch of cat6 and cat5e wire and since I had extra cat5e wire, I decided to run that for possible IR distribution. The longest is 125ft and most are 75ft to 110ft.

I found this item from parts express. They advertise it for wall jacks for receivers, but does anyone know if it will work on block end as well? Has anyone used these before. The link is http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...&vReviewShow=1

Would I be better off with a some sort of distribution box for the block and emitter like the buffalo http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=182-319, but this is limited to 8 and I may need like 10.

What overall brand of equipment is recommended.

Thanks

It is great that these parts exist now, I built my own setup like this about 12 years ago. I ran multiple cat 5 lines and used one of them for IR, at the keystone jack in the rooms I used a blank drilled a hole in in and went to radio shack for some 3.5mm 2 conductor panel jacks and soldered 3 of the lines from the cat5 (what a pain in the ass) http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062450.

Then for the distribution block I used a basic 4-Position Dual-Row Barrier Strips http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103982 where I just screwed down the 3 conductors from the cat5 from each room into one side of the block and on the other side I created a short run of cat 5 from the barrier block to a Xantech 791-44 in the equipment closet. Worked and still works great, looks like the items you take out some of the pain of creating your own interconnects, based on what I saw they should work fine. The xantec IR stuff is real simple clear low voltage stuff and hard to screw up. good luck.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmoore View Post

It is great that these parts exist now, I built my own setup like this about 12 years ago. I ran multiple cat 5 lines and used one of them for IR, at the keystone jack in the rooms I used a blank drilled a hole in in and went to radio shack for some 3.5mm 2 conductor panel jacks and soldered 3 of the lines from the cat5 (what a pain in the ass) http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062450.

Then for the distribution block I used a basic 4-Position Dual-Row Barrier Strips http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103982 where I just screwed down the 3 conductors from the cat5 from each room into one side of the block and on the other side I created a short run of cat 5 from the barrier block to a Xantech 791-44 in the equipment closet. Worked and still works great, looks like the items you take out some of the pain of creating your own interconnects, based on what I saw they should work fine. The xantec IR stuff is real simple clear low voltage stuff and hard to screw up. good luck.

I am not sure I understand the distribution block. The link you gave me is 8 screws (4X4). Lets say I have 10 cables of cat5e coming from 10 rooms. How am I attaching them to the Xantech? I was thinking some sort of telephone distribution hub could combine all of the wire.

Thanks for your help
post #7 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It sounds like you can only connect 1 receiver to this. I will have up to 10 receivers. As for emitters, I don't really need more then 4. Is there something else for 10 receivers.

No, you just need to bridge all those receiver lines together, that is why I used that Barrier block, that Buffalo IR-J8 IR Distribution Junction Box looks like it does the same thing just cleaner. you could do the same thing with a solder iron and electrical tape (fugly) or a 66 or 110 block if you wanted to get fancy.

Code:
Room 1 cat5 ----
                 Terminal screw left side --- Right Side Screw -- cat5 --- Xantech 791-44 terminal block connector
Room 2 cat5 ----
post #8 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Sorry I did not see there were multiple receivers only your comment about 8 vs 10 emitters.
Are you going to put all 10 receivers on the same zone?? I would think not although since you are using 4 emitters.. I am not sure.You can connect multiple receivers to the 791-44 using the terminal block connection vs the plug on the unit, although you may have to use the higher current power supply.

Xantech's 795-20 is a 4 zone connecting block, so you can control things like multiple sat receivers/cable boxes with out any crossing of IR signals. There are six zone blocks as well
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am not sure I understand the distribution block. The link you gave me is 8 screws (4X4). Lets say I have 10 cables of cat5e coming from 10 rooms. How am I attaching them to the Xantech? I was thinking some sort of telephone distribution hub could combine all of the wire.

Thanks for your help

This picture should explain it.

The cat 5 lines from the rooms come in from the top, and then from the bottom one line goes into the xantech block

post #10 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

So you have 3 reveivers? So it looks like you combined all 3 cables (from IR receivers) and put them on the Radioshack board? Since I may have 10 of them it would be tough. I wonder if you can piggyback those and have maybe 4 or 5 of them. For example, combine a couple of cables into one and the out going to another and so on. It seems to me it is a different version of a structured wiring phone hub.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:07 AM

I still dont quite follow your need for 10 receivers all tied to the same zone. If you have two of the same sat receiver or cable box for example, in that single zone, when you change the channel on one, the other will change unless you are able to have different IR addresses off of the remote controls and matching sat or cable box
post #12 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspencer View Post

I still dont quite follow your need for 10 receivers all tied to the same zone. If you have two of the same sat receiver or cable box for example, in that single zone, when you change the channel on one, the other will change unless you are able to have different IR addresses off of the remote controls and matching sat or cable box

I am talking receivers as in IR Receivers (1 for each TV). Maybe I am using the wrong terminology? I have 3 or 4 devices that will be viewable for up to 10 different TV's. I will be feeding 10 different cat5e lines to the block and then the emitter to 3 or 4 devices.

Thanks
post #13 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So you have 3 reveivers? So it looks like you combined all 3 cables (from IR receivers) and put them on the Radioshack board? Since I may have 10 of them it would be tough. I wonder if you can piggyback those and have maybe 4 or 5 of them. For example, combine a couple of cables into one and the out going to another and so on. It seems to me it is a different version of a structured wiring phone hub.

Yes, basically it works like a structure wiring phone hub. 10 might be a bit much on that terminal block I am using. You should be able to chain them to basically concentrate them so you are dealing with a smaller group of cables on a block. You could do a 66 or 110 block and do the bridging on the block, I actual have an old 66 block that I was planning to use for this, but never got around to it.

As Eric points out this basically creates one big zone, the idea for multi zone is basically the same, you just need to physically cable the rooms together based on the zones you want, and then you would need a xantech block that has zone support.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 02:47 PM

Has anyone used the Hot Link XL posted above, and how good is it?
Would it matter if I used CAT6 instead of CAT5
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2010, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by evets88 View Post

Has anyone used the Hot Link XL posted above, and how good is it?

I haven't used one yet, but I plan to in my theater.
Quote:
Would it matter if I used CAT6 instead of CAT5

No.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page