HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 406 Old 06-02-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend3012 View Post

So I wonder that what is the mechanism of convert the audio signal to transform the signal in the CAT cable? how dose HDMI extender work? Tks everybody.
It's electronics based. It's not as simple as a diode or resistor in place, but a microchip which has been designed performs the conversion of the 19-pin HDMI connection for the extender you are using. Different chips from different companies perform differently, and to this point, there is not one chip manufacturer which stands out as much as Valens does with their HDBT chips. To the point that all major manufacturers with the highest level of respect in the industry have standardized on HDBT as their cat-x extender solution of choice.

So, you aren't going to just 'recreate' these extenders by soldering a few locally available electronics pieces together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 406 Old 06-13-2014, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unhappy Problem w/ HDMI over Cat5. Used to work fine. now no.

I was using Niles C5HDMI baluns and a Samsung UN46C6300SFXZA with cable box, apple tv, roku, worked fine for a few years. the cat5 run is about 30ft. Now it does not work at all. i just tried it with two new TVs and they did not work. I tried it with different cat5 cables. I tried it with different HDMI cables.
I tried it with different baluns, kanex HDEXT50M, it didn't work.

Please help
post #393 of 406 Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrushev View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by giomania 

Thanks for the info on the termination standards. I would add that now all cable is created equal, so Cat 6 or Cat 5e depends on the cable manufacturer. I only use Belden, and would put their Cat 5e variants up against most other Cat 6 cables, especially for longer runs. They publish test results for their cable, so you can see what each particular model was rated at. That is my $.02.

Mark

I imagine 99% of people that would make their own runs will use Monoprice 1000ft bulk CAT6 500MHz UTP cable --> http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...&cs_id=1023401

Monoprice cat 6 bulk cabling happens to be what I used - is there a problem with it?
post #394 of 406 Old 06-24-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
Monoprice cat 6 bulk cabling happens to be what I used - is there a problem with it?
Nope, Ive always had superb experience with Monoprice cables, and products in general.
post #395 of 406 Old 06-24-2014, 07:03 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Jax View Post
I am just a bit of a bulk category cable snob, and I only use Belden. Since I don't run category cable too often, and it is in the walls, I figure it is worth the extra expense.

For Cat 6 patch cords, I use the Monoprice variants.

For HDMI, I use the Belden Series of Blue Jeans Cables.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #396 of 406 Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4x4 and cat5e extender

Hi I am new here and start switch my home to HDMI . I have 4 tv in different location and over 40 feet from the media center , I bought a 4x4 matrix HDMI switch from Monoprice ,4HDMI in and 4 HDMI out , then I bought a Sabrent HDMI extender over cat5e after hook them up I receiver signal ok but the video black out for 2 seconds then come back and keep doing that
If I take the output from the Switch and connect direct to the tv then it is ok , only when I use the extender then the video is black out every 2 or 3 seconds and come back and keep doing like that .
Cat5e is 50' in length .
Any suggestion will be appreciate .
post #397 of 406 Old 06-27-2014, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
I am just a bit of a bulk category cable snob, and I only use Belden. Since I don't run category cable too often, and it is in the walls, I figure it is worth the extra expense.

For Cat 6 patch cords, I use the Monoprice variants.

For HDMI, I use the Belden Series of Blue Jeans Cables.

Mark
Mark - snob away

Where do you get the Belden bulk cat 6 cable and what connectors do you use for your cable? Thanks.
post #398 of 406 Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
When I cabled my house in 2007, I bought a 500' spool of Belden Cat 5e, but for the smaller projects since then, I have been buying remnants of Belden Cat 5e from Markertek.com; I have not used Cat 6 except for pre-made patch cords from Monoprice. For the female wall plate (key-stone) terminations, I used Leviton purchased from Home Depot. I did try some Monoprice ones, but did not like them at all. When I make a male RJ-45 termination, I have a bag of clear plastic connectors (don't know the name), and use a standard RJ-45 crimp tool.

A lot of the Belden Cat 5e is usually good for up to 350 MHz bandwidth, and they publish their test results. I figure for my gigabit network with alot of existing Cat 5e, that would be fine. If I was wiring my house today, I would be using Cat 6 or 7, and just bite the bullet for the extra cost.

Mark

post #399 of 406 Old 06-28-2014, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Has anyone tried HDMI over CAT7? I was going over the specs, same old RJ-45 Connector, RoHS Compliant, 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T/1000BASE-TX/9GBASE-T, Transfer Speed 10 Gbps, Bandwidth 600Mhz, 8 wires, cable size 5.7mm.

Those transfer rates and bandwidth are enough to handle 1080P and 3D with no problems up to 100 feet i'm guessing.
post #400 of 406 Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaAndy View Post
Has anyone tried HDMI over CAT7? I was going over the specs, same old RJ-45 Connector, RoHS Compliant, 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T/1000BASE-TX/9GBASE-T, Transfer Speed 10 Gbps, Bandwidth 600Mhz, 8 wires, cable size 5.7mm.

Those transfer rates and bandwidth are enough to handle 1080P and 3D with no problems up to 100 feet i'm guessing.
Unless the transceivers you're using are designed to use the extra bandwidth, it's a waste. I don't believe HDBaseT compliant equipment will do so. Maybe there's something newer/better out there that will.
post #401 of 406 Old 08-15-2014, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was a die-hard component video guy, but HDMI is rapidly becoming unavoidable thanks to the content-producer fetish for copy protection (despite the fact that it has never prevented copying, but I digress). I recently started the painful switch to HDMI over CATx cable and the results have been fairly miserable so far. I run a single source from an AV closet distributed to 8 locations. The shortest run is about 30 feet, so right off the bat you know we're in for a good time. I have a couple audio-only runs but the longest video run is somewhere in the vicinity of 140 feet.

I'm switching my office and parking lot to a bunch of high-def IP cameras, and the guy I hired to pull wire suggested this bulk CAT 6E STP wire from eBay. I was skeptical but now that I have a couple spools in-hand, the quality seems good, the jacket is very pliable and it seems like good-quality wiring at a decent price. I am also using these pass-through connectors which are fairly high-quality.

We needed about 1600 ft of cable for the office cameras, so I plan to use the remaining cable at home to start replacing the cheap, stiff, thin-jacketed CAT5 junk my low-volt guys put in the walls when the house was built almost 10 years ago, and if those replacements work, I'll be picking up a few more spools for quality-time in the attics come this winter.

In terms of equipment, I am starting with the Monoprice 8x1 HDMI switch pushing thru a 1x8 Monoprice splitter/balun setup to the included output baluns. Results have been usable but mediocre so far, but as I noted, my in-wall wiring is junk. I am using pre-made Monoprice CAT6 UTP for the final wall-to-balun connections and surprisingly that is often enough to overcome signal problems up to 720p (when I experiment with CAT5 wall-to-balun), though 1080i at any speed stumbles often, and 1080p is nearly non-functional.

My pool area and garage have stereo audio only (for now, the garage is an even longer run!), so I'm using this HDMI audio splitter to run stereo audio over a separate distribution amp and some old ETS-LAN CAT5 composite/stereo baluns I've had forever. The splitter is pass-through and surprisingly, HDMI output quality and reliability seems to noticeably improve when the switch feeds through this device to the splitter/balun.

At night, I fantasize about reliable, affordable, high-speed one-to-many wireless HDMI transmitters...

Last edited by McGuireV10; 08-15-2014 at 04:29 AM.
post #402 of 406 Old 08-29-2014, 01:00 AM

hello,
i have tripp Lite 126-1P0 connected over hdmi to PC (win7) then 20 meters cat6 cable then tripp Lite B126-004 + 15meters cat6+126-1P0+hdmi samsung TV's

so i have no signal when connecting my pc (pc just don't identify that something hooked in hdmi port) , but when i connect my blue ray player or android box with hdmi instead of PC, all works perfectly and i have excellent picture on all tv's

how i can get work this system with pc?

P.S. when i connect my pc directly to lcd monitor by hdmi it works.
post #403 of 406 Old 08-29-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temur Mikhanashvili View Post
hello,
i have tripp Lite 126-1P0 connected over hdmi to PC (win7) then 20 meters cat6 cable then tripp Lite B126-004 + 15meters cat6+126-1P0+hdmi samsung TV's

so i have no signal when connecting my pc (pc just don't identify that something hooked in hdmi port) , but when i connect my blue ray player or android box with hdmi instead of PC, all works perfectly and i have excellent picture on all tv's

how i can get work this system with pc?

P.S. when i connect my pc directly to lcd monitor by hdmi it works.
What brand/model is the PC (particularly if it's a laptop) and/or the graphics card?

PCs and laptops seem to be the most picky about all the handshaking needed to establish a connection. I have one laptop that just won't connect over HDMI, I have another one that will connect (directly) to some of my TVs but not others, and I have a third that connects to anything through a complicated series of switches and amplifiers. And two of those three laptops are identical models. HDMI is a train-wreck.
post #404 of 406 Old 08-29-2014, 06:47 AM

pc with asus H61M-K mb with Intel HD gr. onboard video with dvi (I'm using dvi-hdmi adapter)

an i also test it with asus i5 ultrabook with the same unsuccessful result

you think if i change MB or add video adapter it will work?

maybe its hdcp handshake problem?

Last edited by Temur Mikhanashvili; 08-29-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #405 of 406 Old 09-01-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Extending the Output of a PC can be tricky if the Extender is not passing on the relevant EDID from the connected Sink (Display).

Are you ensuring the PC is Outputting a signal the Display supports via its HDMI/DVI Input - many HDMI sockets are 'limited' to supporting HDTV signals not 'PC' format signals.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook -

post #406 of 406 Old 09-14-2014, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hello,

my current cheap HDMI extender has gone inop and I want to replace it with something more reliable that powers the receiver through the Cat6 cable.

What is currently the lowest cost reliable single cable alternative with PoE?

The distance is short, only about 30 feet, and I have no need for IR, serial or any other features, just HDMI.

Thanks
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Iogear Vga Cat5e 6 Audio Video Receiver Gve140rx Black
Gear in this thread