HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 423 Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
For anyone wondering, I ordered a few of these "HDMI Voltage Inserters" to try instead of using the 8154 Splitter / Amplifier from Monoprice to "boost" the signal, as it would allow me to clean up my A/V rack some. It *did not* work. It probably does what it states that it does (inserts some additional voltage), but it didn't have the same effect as the 8154, and was not enough to drive the 8008 wallplates...
Thanks for reporting back. I wonder if I bought an 8154 my baluns would "come back to life"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 423 Old 12-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How do I control 2 devices via IR using HDMI extender

Need help here. I need to control a cable box and stereo receiver using IR control via an HDMI over single Cat 5 extender kit. The kit I am using is a 5 volt unit that has an IR sensor eye, and a single IR emitter. When I try to swap the single IR emitter with a dual IR emitter, I am only able to control one device, not both.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
post #423 of 423 Old Today, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
FWIW, an HDMI Voltage Inserter does NOTHING to the data signal, as far as I understand it. All it's doing is inserting the +5V signal on the +5V signal path on the HDMI cable. Therefore an HDMI Voltage Inserter can be used to power a downstream device that gets its power from the HDMI channel itself if by chance the source device can't deliver the rated current that the HDMI spec requires to be "compliant." So, I'm not surprised that an HDMI Voltage Inserter is doing nothing to help signal strength or integrity. An HDMI amplifier may be an interesting combination with some of the baluns, though I have a sneaky suspicion that if it were that easy, it would been solved by now? Maybe I'm just being pessimistic..

..dane
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Iogear Vga Cat5e 6 Audio Video Receiver Gve140rx Black
Gear in this thread