HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #421 of 444 Old 12-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
For anyone wondering, I ordered a few of these "HDMI Voltage Inserters" to try instead of using the 8154 Splitter / Amplifier from Monoprice to "boost" the signal, as it would allow me to clean up my A/V rack some. It *did not* work. It probably does what it states that it does (inserts some additional voltage), but it didn't have the same effect as the 8154, and was not enough to drive the 8008 wallplates...
Thanks for reporting back. I wonder if I bought an 8154 my baluns would "come back to life"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 444 Old 12-23-2014, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
How do I control 2 devices via IR using HDMI extender

Need help here. I need to control a cable box and stereo receiver using IR control via an HDMI over single Cat 5 extender kit. The kit I am using is a 5 volt unit that has an IR sensor eye, and a single IR emitter. When I try to swap the single IR emitter with a dual IR emitter, I am only able to control one device, not both.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
post #423 of 444 Old 12-25-2014, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 63
FWIW, an HDMI Voltage Inserter does NOTHING to the data signal, as far as I understand it. All it's doing is inserting the +5V signal on the +5V signal path on the HDMI cable. Therefore an HDMI Voltage Inserter can be used to power a downstream device that gets its power from the HDMI channel itself if by chance the source device can't deliver the rated current that the HDMI spec requires to be "compliant." So, I'm not surprised that an HDMI Voltage Inserter is doing nothing to help signal strength or integrity. An HDMI amplifier may be an interesting combination with some of the baluns, though I have a sneaky suspicion that if it were that easy, it would been solved by now? Maybe I'm just being pessimistic..

..dane
post #424 of 444 Old 01-02-2015, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hello.

So after reading about HDMI extenders and HDMI over TCP/IP, I decided to try to connect my desktop computer (GTX680) to my HDMI television on the second floor. I'm thinking on using this product --> http://mobidick.su/en/katalog/elemen...LEMENT_ID=2305 (there are tons selling on Ebay), as this works over TCP/IP, and I can use my existing Gigabit Ethernet network (with some switches in the way).

This is the usable bandwidth between the two points:

My question is, what can I expect from this product? Will the image quality be the same, or will compression be excessive and noticeable and I will experience a lot of blackouts?
With that bandwidth, can I expect to achieve 1080p@60Hz between the two points without interruptions?

Best Regards.

Last edited by Ebay; 01-02-2015 at 11:09 PM.
post #425 of 444 Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebay View Post
Hello.

So after reading about HDMI extenders and HDMI over TCP/IP, I decided to try to connect my desktop computer (GTX680) to my HDMI television on the second floor. I'm thinking on using this product --> http://mobidick.su/en/katalog/elemen...LEMENT_ID=2305 (there are tons selling on Ebay), as this works over TCP/IP, and I can use my existing Gigabit Ethernet network (with some switches in the way).

This is the usable bandwidth between the two points:

My question is, what can I expect from this product? Will the image quality be the same, or will compression be excessive and noticeable and I will experience a lot of blackouts?
With that bandwidth, can I expect to achieve 1080p@60Hz between the two points without interruptions?

Best Regards.
I'm not an expert on the HDMI spec, but a 1080p signal is somewhere around 10Gbps uncompressed max. So for sure the device you're looking at cannot handle that.. There will certainly be compression requirements. The real question is how much, and how bad. Amazon Prime streams 1080p at around 8Mbps and while it doesn't quite rival a good transfer on bluray, I have to say after watching it for the past three weeks with my wife almost every night (binging on Avatar animated series, Parenthood, and Dr. Who), on a 50" TV from a viewing distance of around 15-17ft, it still looks awesome.

So the questions are more along the lines of 1) what are your use cases and 2) what are your expectations? The answers to those two questions will help guide your decision about this product.

If there's any way to get a unit with a decent return policy, it would be a nice safety net in case the device doesn't perform up to expectations (regardless of what the specs say).

cheers,
..dane
post #426 of 444 Old 01-05-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
I'm not an expert on the HDMI spec, but a 1080p signal is somewhere around 10Gbps uncompressed max. So for sure the device you're looking at cannot handle that.. There will certainly be compression requirements. The real question is how much, and how bad. Amazon Prime streams 1080p at around 8Mbps and while it doesn't quite rival a good transfer on bluray, I have to say after watching it for the past three weeks with my wife almost every night (binging on Avatar animated series, Parenthood, and Dr. Who), on a 50" TV from a viewing distance of around 15-17ft, it still looks awesome.

So the questions are more along the lines of 1) what are your use cases and 2) what are your expectations? The answers to those two questions will help guide your decision about this product.

If there's any way to get a unit with a decent return policy, it would be a nice safety net in case the device doesn't perform up to expectations (regardless of what the specs say).

cheers,
..dane
Hi.

After reading this article about that unit, I'm going to pass --> http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...ip-extender%2F

It was too good to be true
post #427 of 444 Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebay View Post
Hi.

After reading this article about that unit, I'm going to pass -->
It was too good to be true
Good call.

Working on the next one...
post #428 of 444 Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 AM
1C5

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
having a strange issue. I have a rather long HDMI run from TV to media rack in basement (maybe 75 feet)...
first tried hooking up a 60" Pioneer Plasma to various sources and was getting bad noise.

Then I tried with a different TV...a 60" Samsung plasma. The HDMI cable worked perfectly in 1080p. No issues.

And now I got a new TV, an 80" Sharp LCD and having issues again with the HDMI signal. Picture is cutting in and out. Wondering what you suggest i try to get the Sharp working with this HDMI cable. Why did the Samsung work perfectly and the Pioneer and Sharp have issues with the same HDMI cable?

Also I have 2 extra unused cat5e lines running to the TV if those can be used for anything.

Please help!
post #429 of 444 Old 01-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The 2 CAT5e can be uses for HDBaseT oR cheaper Baluns.
post #430 of 444 Old 01-09-2015, 08:32 PM

Projector distortion from HDMI extender

I'll send this to you all while I have a little hair left...
I currently have 2 projectors hooked up using the following setup:

Laptop (HDMI) > J-Tech HDMI Splitter> J-Tech HDMI extender> 90' Cat6 UTP> HDMI Receiver> HDMI Cable> Front Projector
Identical setup to rear projector, except the distance is about 30'

Current problem: Front projector looks beautiful, no issues. Rear projector shows distortion/lines anytime there is an image on the screen.
Troubleshooting steps:
Laptop plugged directly into projector via HDMI: works great
Laptop HDMI plugged directly into rear extender (bypassing splitter): distortion on rear
Temporary CAT6 cable ran from rear extender to rear receiver: distortion on rear
Transmitter, receiver and projector all connected temporarily to same power source (8-port power conditioner): distortion on rear
Swapping transmitter/receiver from front projector: distortion on rear
Lower resolution on laptop: distortion on rear
Tried swapping HDMI cables, plugins, etc.: no change
I spoke to J-Tech's tech support and they are happy to send out a replacement, but since the front has always worked great, even on the transmitter/receiver from the rear projector, I don't think this will help.
I'm not real sure what to try next (other than HDbaseT) and still stay within budget. Has anyone else come across anything similar?
I don't want to finish building the rear screen until I can get all the bugs worked out, so we are projecting on the regular wall for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0119.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	469649  
post #431 of 444 Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM

stuttering only on certain content

Quick question. I just successfully installed an HDMI over Cat5e converter, and it works great for streaming almost all of my media via PS3 app delivery (I have an older Sony TV without the apps found on the PS3).

However, while I can see very high framerate mp4's via PS4 delivery, I have noticed that some content from amazon, mostly TV based content, stutters when I try to use this, even though movies streamed via Amazon prime, have no such problem.

Have you ever had experience where some content streams flawlessly, and some does not? Is there a content mismatch possible. I am using a relatively high end Snap system.

Thanks. Before I go out and have to buy some new TV, I thought I'd ask here.
post #432 of 444 Old 02-03-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Connect the Source direct to the TV via a High Speed HDMI cable and rerun the test!

Joe
audiodane likes this.

If I've helped 'Like' us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc
post #433 of 444 Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 AM

Cat5E Crimping....

Hello all, just had a question regarding the Cat5E crimping method....

I purchased a 500ft bulk spool for Cables2Go Cat5E Plenum Cable. I'm using the Sabrent HDMI-EXTC adapter. I was wondering if one method of crimping the Cat5E is more suitable for video/audio. T568A? T568B? Somehting else? Does it matter? Thanks in advance!
post #434 of 444 Old 02-04-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

The Installation Manual for the Extender will/should indicate which wiring scheme to use.

Joe
audiodane likes this.

post #435 of 444 Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM

It doesn't really matter as long as it's the same on both ends...I find that most people use B so I use it too..
post #436 of 444 Old 03-23-2015, 07:32 PM

HDCP issue with Mac/AppleTV using HDMI zone out

I have a family room Yamaha AV receiver (A3000) and a basement Yamaha AV receiver (A2030). AppleTV in both spaces, and a Mac Mini media computer in the Family room.

I have run HDMI over EtherNet (Cat6e) both up and down between the receivers (though the A3000 only mirrors the zone out with the main out HDMI, while the A2030 allows the zone out source to be set independently.)

The gist is this:
The Mac Mini input, and also the AppleTV input show HDCP handshake issue blinking while the HDMI over Ethernet (HoE) connection from the HDMI zone output is connected. The blinking stops and output is perfect, when I unplug the HoE from the receiver HDMI 2 out. The problem occurs when the output is connected, but even though the signal is not actually being used (source selected) in the other room.

Output from other sources (Wii U) and Blu-Ray player (Oppo) work just fine with the HoE connection in place.

Unfortunately, this means that the HoE connection must be left unconnected to use the Mac or AppleTV (which is nearly always.) I only can connect when specifically wanting to share signal between the rooms from one of the (non Apple) working sources (which is a pain.)

HoE used is:
8121 - HDMI® Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable.
Cat6e cables are stock pre-terminated cables of about ~35 feet length.
I have unplugged and rebooted all devices (multiple times.)
Both receivers have had firmware updates.
Both receivers have had the HDMI up-scale limits set to skip.
Cabling is clearly ok as some sources work perfectly.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
post #437 of 444 Old 03-30-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty common to see this issue when you try and cascade AVR's - the HDCP Keychain is failing with the Apple devices.

You may have to consider an HDMI Matrix ahead of the first AVR - with the Matrix Outputting to the two AVR's and use the Extender on one Outout of the Matrix, that way the Matrix will handle HDCP properly.

https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swi..._7_1audio.html

Joe
audiodane likes this.

post #438 of 444 Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dose anyone following this thread deal with Matrox much? Our church is looking for a Video-over-IP solution to distribute a feed across the campus IP network.. That's a bit beyond most of the HDMI-over-(dedicated)-CatXX discussed here, but this place is such a wonderful resource I thought I'd give it a shot..

cheers,
..dane
post #439 of 444 Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
Dose anyone following this thread deal with Matrox much?.....
..dane
Hey Dane,
I haven't used Matrox brand products before, but after checking their website I'm going to see if I can order some products and test them in house. I've been using Cypress and Just Add Power for IP based extenders. I can tell you that not all managed network switches play nicely with IP based extenders. This year I've started getting calls about newer Cisco switches when used in a 2 layer topology. All things considered I think they work great if they're on their own network or isolated with a VLAN from other traffic. Let me know how that shakes out at the campus and I'll put in a request to buy some Matrox Maevex units this week. I'm curious to see how they implement EDID polling, does it monitor it in real time and detect hot plugging a new monitor, etc.

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!
post #440 of 444 Old 04-08-2015, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward216 View Post
Hey Dane,
I haven't used Matrox brand products before, but after checking their website I'm going to see if I can order some products and test them in house. I've been using Cypress and Just Add Power for IP based extenders. I can tell you that not all managed network switches play nicely with IP based extenders. This year I've started getting calls about newer Cisco switches when used in a 2 layer topology. All things considered I think they work great if they're on their own network or isolated with a VLAN from other traffic. Let me know how that shakes out at the campus and I'll put in a request to buy some Matrox Maevex units this week. I'm curious to see how they implement EDID polling, does it monitor it in real time and detect hot plugging a new monitor, etc.
Thanks Ward.. Looks like the church is interested in trying the Matrox solution. We're in the process of a network infrastructure upgrade so it may be a few months, but I'll try to remember to come back here and report how it goes..

Certainly a more expensive solution, and certainly employs H.264 encoding, but also for a vastly different application than uber-quality home theaters!

..dane
post #441 of 444 Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Hi all,

I have an Intelix HDMI/VGA wallplate to cat6 to Intelix HD60C-R to Epson 1945w Projector - all brand new. Laptops connected with HDMI plays DVD fine, but a Sony DVD player does not. I get the splash screen, but when the DVD starts playing the projector screen goes black. Works fine if I connect directly (DVD to HDMI to Projector), but not when run through the extender. The jumpers/pins in the Intelix are set to auto detect and pass through, and the cat 6 has been tested pin by pin. We've even tried more than one DVD player and had the same result. The tech guy from the company we bought if from says all pieces should handle any resolution, and I've tried a few different DVD's in case there was a copyright protection issue (though I'm not completely confident any of them did not have it for sure). Any ideas?
post #442 of 444 Old 06-22-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you connecting the HDBT Receiver to the HDMI Input on the Projector?

Joe

post #443 of 444 Old 06-22-2015, 10:32 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks again everyone for your past assistance and recommendations, much appreciated.

Issue: Cannot get a resolution greater than 1080p 24hz with my J-Tech HDMI over single Ethernet Cable Extender (supports CAT5/e, 6 up to 300 ft

Setup/Video Equipment:
XFinity Cable Box Does 1080p (60hz I believe) and below
WDTV Media Hub: Does 1080p (60hz, 50hz, 24hz and below)
Sony Bluray Player: 1080p 24hz I believe
XBox One: 1080p and 720p with "allow" 50hz and 24hz options
Generic DK104 PET0104P HDMI Splitter 1x4 Ports 4 Port 1080P v1.3 HDTV 3D HD Audio splitter from Amazon (supports everything it states)
Sharp 46 inch 1080p 60hz compatible HDTV
Epson Powerlite 8100 (1080p 60hz compatible)
Element 24 inch 1080p 60hz compatible HDTV
Pioneer 5 HDMI input 1 HDMI output receiver

1x4 HDMI splitter is connected to my: Projector via 35ft HDMI cable (no issues with 1080p 60hz), Sharp TV via 2 CAT6 cables (Monoprice HDMI extender over 2 CAT6 cables - no issues with 1080p 60hz) and lastly to my J-Tech HDMI extender to my Element TV (only supports 1080p 24hz and below).

I have CAT5e run from my living room to my mechanical room (85 ft)
I then have another CAT5e run from my mechanical room back to my bar area (40 ft) -(Issue location)
Although the specs state I should be using T568B terminations I terminated them with T568A RJ45 "female" ends then connected the two ends (Living room to mechanical room CAT5 run <> Mechanical room to bar run) with a "factory" CAT5 T568B cable. Each end of my HDMI extender uses a CAT5 T568B factory cable. Note, the reason I did the T568A connections is because our networking guy at work said that as long as both ends match up pin-to-pin they are interchangeable. Also, everything I've read online states the same thing. (Initially tested the full run from basement living room to bar that was connected to my router and passed the online speed test with flying colors)

*If I bypass the run from the mechanical room to my bar with a 50ft factory terminated CAT5 cable run just laid on the floor to the bar area and connected to my J-Tech HDMI extender receiver end I can get 1080p 60hz no problem to the bar Element TV (note, TV is 1080p 60hz compatible). As soon as I connect my "normal" run of CAT5e I have to change my settings back down (WDTV to 1080p 24hz, XBox One to 720p, Bluray already outputs to 1080p 24hz and lastly my XFinity box to 1080i) to get it all working seamlessly on all 3 TVs/Projectors.

*Things I've tried:
1. Unplugging the Projector and SharpTV connections from my 1x4 Splitter so only the bar/Element TV is connected (no luck - 1080p 24hz max) -thinking the signal may be degraded with all 3 connections. (worth a try)
2. Directly connecting my Receiver's HDMI output to my Extender input (no luck - 1080p 24hz max)
3. I have a backup 1x2 J-Tech splitter that I connected only the Receiver's output to and Extender to. (no luck - 1080p 24hz max)
4. Bought 3ft replacement HDMI cables to connect to both ends of the HDMI extender.
5. Replaced CAT5 Extender cables as well as my mechanical room "bridge/coupler cables with new factory cables (already had factory cables but hey, worth a tri).
6. Drank a lot, prayed, surfed the internet all day at work today for an answer, almost cried. Ha

*In the end, the only thing that gives my full 1080p 60hz resolution on my Element bar TV is if I bypass my mechanical room connection with a factory connected cable.

-Could it be possible that my second run (mechanical room to bar) has just enough interference from my electrical wires in the ceiling or wall that my connection is being impacted?
-Did/does terminating my CAT5e cables using the T568A standard make an impact?
-Should I re-check my RJ45 punch downs I did to make sure they are all secure? (wouldn't it be an all or nothing from a connectivity perspective if one was indeed loose/not connected?)
-Should I be using a punch down block/panel to join the two CAT 5e runs? (I seem to be well within standards for my run to not have to be using a punch down block/panel to connect the two runs)

Thank you all for reading my long winded post but I've reached the end of my troubleshooting I think (hope I've overlooked something). I just can't stomach running my XBox One with a resolution of 720p to get all the displays to work at once. That also goes for XFinity "HD" cable in 1080i mode. It just doesn't seem right. Ha. Of course my wife and 3 kids don't care but I know the real truth........

Best Wishes,
Pat
post #444 of 444 Unread Today, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Are you connecting the HDBT Receiver to the HDMI Input on the Projector?

Joe
Was that question for me? If so, then yes. There is an HDMI cable between the receiver and the projector.

Thanks!
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
hdmi extender , hdmi over cat6 , Iogear Vga Cat5e 6 Audio Video Receiver Gve140rx Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page