HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #451 of 465 Old 11-02-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 139
If you plan on staying sane ditch the Wireless HD and run a cable - HDMI over HDBT on a single CAT6 is the most reliable option.

Choose an HDBT Extender which supports IR and PoH (power over HDBT).

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 465 Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would agree with Joe. Use CAT6 500Mhz cable, stranded is OK if under 100 feet total. Use factory terminated cable if possible. Don't use RJ45 wall jacks as they will introduce signal reflections at each connection point. Also, no sharp bends in the cable, 90 degree bends should be around 3 inch radius. Single piece of cable is the most reliable by far. Four devices is tough to pull off: source, extender 1, extender 2, and display.
edit: is this outside display temporary or permanent? the latter requires more work due to potential ground bounce.

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

Last edited by Ward216; 11-03-2015 at 11:45 AM.
post #453 of 465 Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply Joe. I agree wired is the way to go for best / most reliable connection. Unfortunately, I don't have a fixed position for the TV and I already have the wireless and it's tested out good so far. So I think I'll try it. I'm also going to try a non-powered HDMI extender to see if that will impact the solution (probably not - but it's returnable). If that doesn't work, I'll put coax through the wall and put a set-top box outside (under covered porch). That will remove the requirement to use an HDMI extender. I'll post an update on my progress.
post #454 of 465 Old 11-04-2015, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply Ward. See previous reply to Joe. I also appreciate the info on cabling. The outside display is temporary. I have multiple places where a TV would be nice sometime, but it won't be used frequently - so simple setup and takedown is ok. I generally have power available in those spots - so no long power cords expected.
post #455 of 465 Old 11-10-2015, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help with connections please

Looking at purchasing a duel zone AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX 1130-K, which will be stored in a media closet > 50ft away from the 2 sources (TV's) I want to hook it up to. I will have 5 HDMI inputs feeding into the Pioneer. My questions are

1. How can I make the connection and keep the 4k content in both zones?

2. Will I be able to access all my HDMI inputs in both zones if I go to an HDBaseT Extender Kit or other? If I am hooking up the two HDMI cables from the Receiver and not the actual Sources themselves (Roku, Apple TV, Blu Ray, Other).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !
post #456 of 465 Old 11-26-2015, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried reading through this thread, but I not sure I was able to find the answer I was looking for.

I have a single Cat6e cable run of approx 30' . What specifically do I need to add to each end to use this Cat6e cable as an HDMI cable for things like gaming boxes (eg. Xbox One or PS4)?

Thanks
Detox
post #457 of 465 Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a media room with Cat5e pre-wired by the builder. Attic access above the room is very limited so unable to run a new HDMI cable drop. I am trying to setup 3D projector connecting to my Onkyo receiver.

What's the best quality HDMI over single Cat5e balun out in the market that would work perfectly for my needs?
drewzer likes this.
post #458 of 465 Old 01-17-2016, 02:03 PM

Liked: 10
Another product to add to the list

- Source-end: Harman Kardon AVR354 (upconverting content from 720p to 1080p, as well as 1080p native content)
- CatX Adapter: Vanco 280713 (Bought from mcm audio, <90$. Available on Amazon)
- CatX Cables: 88' Dual Cat6 UTP Solid (self terminated, tested with dsp-4300, pass with 12db+ of headroom on cat6 standard)
- Far-end: Sony Bravia KDL-46S5100
- Resolution(s) tested: 1080P 'Full Pixel'
- Status: Seems to work well for the most part. Can start systems in any order, and sync occurs without issues. Switching inputs on the TV causes some sync issue with receiver (green screen instead of display), but may be related to AVR. Switching AVR Inputs fixes problem. Did not test with audio.
post #459 of 465 Old 03-06-2016, 11:14 PM

Hey all, appealing to your knowledge for help please. I have a Pioneer receiver that is displaying just fine to my Vizio TV via the HDMI Extenders (Monoprice model # 6532) with a 75 ft run of dual Cat 6 cables. The input port on the TV is port #5 which is 4K @ 60hz possible. The sources have been my xbox One and xfinity x1 connecting via HDMI to the receiver. The receiver is a SC-65 which is an elite and can handle 1.4a and does 4K "pass through".

I built a HTPC with a gigabyte mobo w/z170 chipset board. I am running onboard graphics (HD530). The HTPC is fully functional via DVI and a small LCD monitor, and can display directly via HDMI to a 720p LG that is not the main TV. When I connect it to the receiver and run it to the Vizio, I get a "no signal" graphic on the TV. Keep in mind, my A/V closet is 75 ft from the theater and directly connecting the HTCP to the TV is not really an option.

After reading through multiple manuals, I think its a combination of the receiver and the extenders. The receiver cannot down compress a signal from certain sources (video compression) - in this case the HTPC. The extenders are rated for 1.2.

Is it logical to think that the xifinity and xbox both are not outputting at 1.4? Ive tried multiple hdmi's on the receiver and the TV. I'm concerned that I will buy the new HDbaseT extenders and that they will not make a difference. Is a dedicated video card the answer or will I still be stuck with a legacy receiver restricting the data via "pass through". Do I need both the new HDbaseT extenders and a vid card? I've found others online with this same chipset not having an issue with 4K @ 27hz. Is it the TV? I guess Im grasping at straws.

Lastly, did you see the most recent Walking Dead? How bout that!!! 'Appreciate your help and feedback.
post #460 of 465 Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 PM

Working on the solution - the mobo will connect directly to the TV thru HDMI port 5. When it is connected it does say 2160 as the resolution. I could not get it to work with any other port.

If the z170 chipset is having some sort of handshake issue, then that could be why the extenders failed as well as the non-4K hdmi ports, since they are 1.2 only.

I have two different 4K hdmi extenders on order now. Once is a Gefen 4K HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 4K @ 60hz which, from everything I can tell, is the latest and greatest chip from the HDBaseT consortium. The other is an E-SDS 4K, HDMI 1.4 with "cinematic 4K" from Amazon. Both use a single Cat5e/6 cable. Hopefully this will resolve any of the issues I'm dealing with from the Z170 chipset. The E-SDS is not HDMI 2.0 or HDCP 2.2, and I do plan on installing a dedicated gaming vid card for HDMI 2.0 in the future.
post #461 of 465 Old 05-23-2016, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I have been using the following HDMI extender for a while. At first everything seemed fine, but now it resync's every 40 minutes or so. (it isn't the source as I have tested multiple sources:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extender-Ex...twork+extender

So I am looking to get a more reliable setup, ideally one that can handle 4k at 60hz as well, to keep myself protected in the future. (At the moment I only send 1080@60)

I have 2 cat 6 cables running through the wall already (but they aren't both identical in length if that's required)

Any help is appreciated.

post #462 of 465 Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Existing kit - anything else changed in the 'environment', fridge, lighting etc which could be inundating your CAT cables?

Future proofing - currently it is problematic as no Extender can currently cover everything UHD BD can throw at a compatible Display, you can get close but have to compromise somewhere or go to Fibre.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions for Residential and Commercial installations.
post #463 of 465 Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 AM

Nothing I am aware of unfortunately, I will probably test my 2nd cat 6 cable to see if that has the same issues.

If I picked up an adapter that used 2xcat 6 would that then be more stable? Or is 2xcat 6 just the old standard that has been outdated now?

Ok, for now ill hold off on trying to get 4k 60hz. Ill settle for rock solid 1080p

Anything I should look for in extender kits? any terminology, or brands names I should try to get?

I find it really hard to determine what is worth it and what isnt, there seem to be no good reviews out there for these things. i.e.:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro%C2%A...13XD7C6SNA683C

looks on paper to be brilliant, but I cant see any mention of refresh rate so I assume it does 1080@60 and 4k@30 but I don't like assuming on something that is going to cost me £90.

Last edited by Rbentley100; 05-24-2016 at 02:30 AM.
post #464 of 465 Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM

Just some feedback in case it helps anyone else.

Swapping to my spare cat 6 cable did nothing. So I ordered the Neet HDBaseT adapter. I am using it over ~10meters 1080@60. No issues at all so far, so it appears it was my old adaptor causing the cut outs.

post #465 of 465 Old 06-17-2016, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10
I've been using a SIIG: http://www.frys.com/product/5827463?...BXcaAu9A8P8HAQ

For five years, and while it still works... it has never been a solid setup. I use it with a home theatre PC running Nvidia GTX graphics with HDMI out going into a Marantz Reciever, then to an Epson projector. While it would never run at 60hz, I dropped it down to 30hz using Cat 6 cable, and it worked... but then my receiver went out recently and I replaced it with an old sony pre HDMI inputs. I went to the store and got a HDMI audio extractor, ran HDMI to my projector, and a separate audio signal over optical out to the receiver. When I did this, the SIIG would not work on 30 hz. I went up to 60, picture very fuzzy with horizontal lines but worked for a short while, then i dropped down the 30hz with perfect picture, but the picture kept dropping/flashing slowly. So, then I go back up th 60hz which no longer works for some reason then back down to 50hz which is holding with a fuzzy picture. None of the numbers on the adjustable signal dial on the SIIG produce a decent picture.

After reading all 16 pages, I was considering buying the mono priced 6532... because im broke and cheap. What do you guys think, or would you recommend a differnet one? I dont have much finances to contribute to this anymore. That 40 dollars looks fantastic, but I hope its not spent in vain.

What I want to acheive is 1080p, 60hz, no dropped picture, no fuzz.... Im running 35 feet cat 6 cable.

Thanks in advance.

The unorthodoxed one viewing 86 inches in a 12x10 bedroom...

Last edited by MistaChy; 06-17-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
hdmi extender , hdmi over cat6 , Iogear Vga Cat5e 6 Audio Video Receiver Gve140rx Black
Gear in this thread