HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #451 of 456 Old 11-02-2015, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 85
If you plan on staying sane ditch the Wireless HD and run a cable - HDMI over HDBT on a single CAT6 is the most reliable option.

Choose an HDBT Extender which supports IR and PoH (power over HDBT).

If I've helped 'Like' us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc
Sponsored Links
post #452 of 456 Old 11-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would agree with Joe. Use CAT6 500Mhz cable, stranded is OK if under 100 feet total. Use factory terminated cable if possible. Don't use RJ45 wall jacks as they will introduce signal reflections at each connection point. Also, no sharp bends in the cable, 90 degree bends should be around 3 inch radius. Single piece of cable is the most reliable by far. Four devices is tough to pull off: source, extender 1, extender 2, and display.
edit: is this outside display temporary or permanent? the latter requires more work due to potential ground bounce.

There's room for ALL of God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

Last edited by Ward216; 11-03-2015 at 11:45 AM.
post #453 of 456 Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 AM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the reply Joe. I agree wired is the way to go for best / most reliable connection. Unfortunately, I don't have a fixed position for the TV and I already have the wireless and it's tested out good so far. So I think I'll try it. I'm also going to try a non-powered HDMI extender to see if that will impact the solution (probably not - but it's returnable). If that doesn't work, I'll put coax through the wall and put a set-top box outside (under covered porch). That will remove the requirement to use an HDMI extender. I'll post an update on my progress.
post #454 of 456 Old 11-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply Ward. See previous reply to Joe. I also appreciate the info on cabling. The outside display is temporary. I have multiple places where a TV would be nice sometime, but it won't be used frequently - so simple setup and takedown is ok. I generally have power available in those spots - so no long power cords expected.
post #455 of 456 Old 11-10-2015, 04:27 PM
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Help with connections please

Looking at purchasing a duel zone AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX 1130-K, which will be stored in a media closet > 50ft away from the 2 sources (TV's) I want to hook it up to. I will have 5 HDMI inputs feeding into the Pioneer. My questions are

1. How can I make the connection and keep the 4k content in both zones?

2. Will I be able to access all my HDMI inputs in both zones if I go to an HDBaseT Extender Kit or other? If I am hooking up the two HDMI cables from the Receiver and not the actual Sources themselves (Roku, Apple TV, Blu Ray, Other).

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you !
post #456 of 456 Unread Today, 08:21 PM
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I tried reading through this thread, but I not sure I was able to find the answer I was looking for.

I have a single Cat6e cable run of approx 30' . What specifically do I need to add to each end to use this Cat6e cable as an HDMI cable for things like gaming boxes (eg. Xbox One or PS4)?

Reply Home A/V Distribution

hdmi extender , hdmi over cat6 , Iogear Vga Cat5e 6 Audio Video Receiver Gve140rx Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page