Looking for better solution
Tried 2 setups, going to try 3rd.
This is low-end: 720p.
Application is a church sanctuary. 2 projectors 2 screens plus booth monitor. Option to add rear confidence monitor one day.
150' to projector 1.
75' to projector 2.
Source is someone's laptop.
Currently testing with a 2010 Dell Inspiron 14R (N4010) with VGA & HDMI outputs.
And a 2011 HP EliteBook 8760w with VGA & DisplayPort outputs.
But really want guest to come in with whatever laptop and plug in and have it work.
I was testing using "Extend these display" on Windows 7 so I can have different content on the projector screen than laptop screen.
I can also set the resolution of the external display independently of the laptop screen display doing it this way.
Both projectors are Sony VPL-FX52 with VGA & DVI-D inputs--but no HDMI input.
Both 150' and 75' cables are Cat6 stranded, 24AWG cable (Cable Matters).
TRY 1 - VGA
Laptops VGA output into:
StarTech.com ST1212T 2 Port VGA over Cat5 Video Extender - Transmitter
which has 2x Ethernet outputs, and 1x VGA output for local monitor.
into the Cat6 cables
into 2x identical StarTech.com ST121R VGA Video Extender Remote Receiver over Cat 5
which have 2x VGA outputs each. I only used one of them each.
I was very happy with the signal distribution in this setup. I tested only 720p.
My problem was my projector is XGA and insisted on 4x3 aspect ratio. So when I sent 720p, it
stretched it tall. So I had to set the laptops to 1024x768 resolution for the external monitor and then constrain my image to 16x9.
Eg, 16x9 powerpoint presentation, or 16x9 video files from PC. These displayed properly on the projector.
4x3 video files, however, would display above and below my 16x9 screen.
So I returned those StarTech extender units to Amazon.
TRY 2 - HDMI
I was not happy with this solution.
Tripp Lite 4-Port HDMI over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender Splitter, Transmitter for Video and Audio, 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-004)
for the transmitter/splitter and
2 of Tripp Lite HDMI Over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender, Extended Range Receiver for Video and Audio 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-1A0)
as the receivers.
Then I had to buy 2 HDMI-DVI-D cables
(AmazonBasics HDMI to DVI Adapter Cable - 3 Feet (Latest Standard))
(Amazon id=B014I8UL8U- - just joined, can't post links)
at the receiver end, to connect the HDMI output of the Cat5 receiver to the DVI-D input of the projector.
I also periodically swapped in a VIZIO 24" D24 TV with HDMI input at the remote end for testing.
The Dell laptop could never send a signal through the Tripp Lite splitter/exender that the Sony projectors would recognize.
Blank screen, no matter what resoultion I chose in Windows 7's Display Resolution settings (1080p 60Hz & 59Hz 32bit color, 1080i 25Hz 32bit color, 1080p 60Hz 16bit color, 1080i 29Hz & 25Hz 16 bit color, 720 60Hz & 59Hz & 50Hz 32bit & 16 bit color, 1024x768 60 & 59Hz 32 & 16bit color)
Swapping in the VIZIO TV as the second remote display, worked pretty well.
All the 16x9 resolution settings worked perfectly.
The 4x3 1024x768 was stretched wide on the VIZIO with no way to correct on the VIZIO.
Meanwhile, simultaneously, the projector was always blank just like when it was alone.
However, connecting Dell straight to projector using the same HDMI-DVI-D cable worked much better.
I was not given the 1080x option by Windows 7. Highest resolution offered was 1280x1024 which is a weird 1.25x aspect ratio.
In the 1280x720 range I was only offered 60Hz 32 & 16bit color.
These all worked I got my 16x9 aspect ratio on the projector.
In addition, when viewing a 4x3 video it did not spill over top and bottom, rather left and right got black bands.
For 1024x768 resolution, the projector was in proper 4x3 mode. 4x3 movie used up the whole screen, and 16x9 powerpoint and movie had black bands on top and bottom and so displayed correctly.
With the HP EliteBook DisplayPort output, I got it to display, but the projector was in permanent 4x3 mode.
1920x1080p 50Hz & 59Hz & 60hz 32bit & 16bit color : right side of screen was cropped off as if the image was internally 16x9 but only the left side was displayed to make displayed illumnicated image 4x3. About 10% of the bottom was cropped off too. Don't know what that's about. And when displaying a 4x3 video, the video was 1st centered in a virtual 16x9 with black bands left and right, then the right and bottom of this now-16x9 image was cropped to display 4x3. So 4x3 image, 4x3 display, but still the image was shifted and cropped.
1920x1080p 59Hz (but not 60Hz nor 50Hz) 32bit (not 16bit) : the picture was jumping up and down just a little bit. Maybe 6 times a second.
1920x1080i 30Hz & 29Hz & 25Hz 32bit & 16bit color : projector was in 4x3 mode and super-stretched. Like stretched 3x. About 70% of the image was cropped off the right, leaving only about 30% of the image (left side) displayed.. Mostly the left-right stretched out, but also about 1.2x stretch top to bottom (cutting off bottom 20%).
720 60Hz & 59Hz & 50Hz 32bit & 16bit color : projector in 4x3 mode, even more cropped than 1080 on bottom and right. About 80% of the right side of the image was cropped off, leaving only 20% of the left.
When at 59Hz picture was jumping up and down at about 6Hz to the eye.
1024x768 60Hz 32bit and 16bit color : projector in 4x3 but not cropped. my 16x9 content displayed properly with black above and below. And showed 4x3 content full screen no cropping. However, picture jumped up and down at a steady 2.6Hz rate.
Adding the VIZIO TV as the 2nd remote display.
1920x1080p 60Hz 59Hz 50Hz 32bit & 16bit color : the VIZIO had constant dropouts.
1920x1080i 30Hz 29Hz 25Hz 32bit & 16bit color : VIZIO perfect even while projector simultaneously borked as described above.
1280x720 60Hz 59Hz 50Hz 32bit 16bit color : VIZIO is perfect
1024x768 60Hz : VIZIO worked as expected.
Hoooking the HP EliteBook DisplayPort directly thru DisplayPort-HDMI adapter, then HDMI-DVI-D cable adapter to the Sony projector produced these results:
I was not offered any 1080x by Windows 7.
Highest resolution again was that weird 1280x1024 aspect ratio 1.25. which I didnt try.
1280x720 60Hz 32bit & 16bit color - perfect on the projector.
1024x768 60Hz 32bit & 16bit color - perfect, meaning 16x9 content displayed with black bands top and bottom, and 4x3 content displayed full screen.
So clearly, things are working direct PC-Projector, but with the Tripp Lite extender in the chain, it's not working.
In fairness, the Tripp Lite extender works very well with the VISIO TV.
I called Tripp Lite tech support. When he heard about the HDMI-DVI cables he stopped debugging and, only a little reluctantly, said I should return the devices.
In truth, it seemed he was looking for an excuse to blame the problem on, rather than fixing it.
So, I am looking for a new setup. I'm considering this:
A-Neuvideo 1x4 HDMI Splitter and Extender over Cat5e/6 System B&H # ANANI0104POE MFR # ANI-0104POE
bhphotovideo product id 1301237
Includes 4x remotes. Sadly, I only need 2.
Anyone have any experience with this unit?