HDMI over Cat5e problems and solutions, read before posting - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 400 Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Member
 
whitmans77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was having the same issue, so i ordered some single cat extenders from amazon and so far so good. i havent experienced the drop outs yet. Crossing my fingers!
whitmans77 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 400 Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmans77 View Post

I was having the same issue, so i ordered some single cat extenders from amazon and so far so good. i havent experienced the drop outs yet. Crossing my fingers!

thanks for that feedback--- do you mind telling us what product you're now using? If this thread could contain links to products that worked for people, that'd be great...

cheers,
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #93 of 400 Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 AM
Member
 
whitmans77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
no problem. i ordered these

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Extender-...0342704&sr=8-4

i have a Ps3, TivoS3 and a cable box running through a Monoprice 4x4 hdmi matrix switcher to 2 insignia 42 inch plasmas and a Sony projector. I only hooked up the new single cat extenders to the projector and 1 one of the plasmas. On the plasma with the double cat extender I was still getting droupouts occasionally. Before reading this i though the problem was the 4x4 matrix but before i hooked everything up i ran my ps3 straight to the monoprice extender wall plates then to the projector and the dropouts still occurred so i am thinking the wall plate extenders were to blame.
whitmans77 is offline  
post #94 of 400 Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Member
 
whitmans77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a quick update, the single Cat baluns have done the trick . Its been a few weeks and I have had no glitches from the TV of the projector. I have 2 identical TVs side by side one has a single Cat and the other has a dual cat on it. Whenever my skybox fridge cycles the TV with the dual cat blinks for a second. So for me the fix was going to a single
whitmans77 is offline  
post #95 of 400 Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Newbie
 
Cyntax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you so much for this thread. I have had the same problem as many of you for the past few months.

I run a central HTPC in my basement that I run to 3 tv's in my house. When we were doing renovations I got a chance to run 2xCat6 to the 3 different rooms and use the monoprice extenders (along with monoprice 4x4 splitter). The TV in the kitchen has been giving me dropouts anytime there is any power fluctuation in the house(including just flipping a light switch). Its been driving me crazy, i've tried just about everything including investing in an expensive power conditioner which has not solved the problem.

I am going to try out those single cable connectors mentioned above and will report back if that helps.

Thanks for all the research you guys have done so far. Its greatly appreciated
Cyntax is offline  
post #96 of 400 Old 12-12-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitmans77 View Post

Just a quick update, the single Cat baluns have done the trick . Its been a few weeks and I have had no glitches from the TV of the projector. I have 2 identical TVs side by side one has a single Cat and the other has a dual cat on it. Whenever my skybox fridge cycles the TV with the dual cat blinks for a second. So for me the fix was going to a single

Great!! Thanks for the update. It's also QUITE awesome that you have found us a single-Cat extender that is priced not-much-higher-than the dual-CatX extenders. Yours is over Cat6, mine over Cat5e, so we don't yet know how that might affect things. I'm planning on keeping mine just because it's been rock solid since day-1, and I really don't want to mess with it anymore! But I'm glad for others' sake that you have found a lower-priced alternative. Thanks again for the update....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyntax View Post

Thank you so much for this thread. I have had the same problem as many of you for the past few months.

I run a central HTPC in my basement that I run to 3 tv's in my house. When we were doing renovations I got a chance to run 2xCat6 to the 3 different rooms and use the monoprice extenders (along with monoprice 4x4 splitter). The TV in the kitchen has been giving me dropouts anytime there is any power fluctuation in the house(including just flipping a light switch). Its been driving me crazy, i've tried just about everything including investing in an expensive power conditioner which has not solved the problem.

I am going to try out those single cable connectors mentioned above and will report back if that helps.

Thanks for all the research you guys have done so far. Its greatly appreciated

You're very welcome! That's why I asked this thread to be made sticky and re-titled more appropriately-- because it gets so many views I know there have to be plenty of folks out there with this same (frustrating) problem..

Please do get back with us and let us know how the single-cable extender works for you. Also your configuration (cable type and length, adapter model number, etc) and of course whether or not it solved your problems so that I can update the first post with your info.

cheers,
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #97 of 400 Old 12-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Newbie
 
Cyntax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post


Please do get back with us and let us know how the single-cable extender works for you. Also your configuration (cable type and length, adapter model number, etc) and of course whether or not it solved your problems so that I can update the first post with your info.

cheers,
..dane

I am happy to report that using the single cable extender has solved my problem in the kitchen. No amount of light flipping, fridge opening, or dishwasher running could cause this new unit to skip a beat. I am very very happy

To be specific:

I am running approx 20 feet of Solid Core Cat6 from a 4x4 monoprice splitter to a Dell monitor in the kitchen. I purchased this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product) from amazon and it has worked great for me.

Its unfortunate that it requires to be plugged in to power at both ends, but i'll take that over the horrible drop outs
Cyntax is offline  
post #98 of 400 Old 12-18-2010, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Cyntax-- awesome! thanks for the update. I have included your success in the original post...

Merry Christmas!
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #99 of 400 Old 12-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Newbie
 
madmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys for all the info.

Just ordered the Amazon single cat HDMI extender and can't wait to try it.

I am also experiencing the drops when turning on a light switch or the AVAC turns on, etc...

I'm currently using the dual cat wall plate extender from Monoprice with a 4x4 Matrix.

Crossing my fingers that it fixes my problem. I will report back once it is installed and that it had run for a couple of days.
madmart is offline  
post #100 of 400 Old 01-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
madmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgot to ask.

Do you guys have a patch panel between the HDMI singe cat transmitter and receiver?

Was reading on another forum that we should remove the patch panel in the line so you have the least number of terminations. Just want to know if I should remove my wires oing through the patch panel and plug them directly in the extender.

Let me know

Thanks
madmart is offline  
post #101 of 400 Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmart View Post

Was reading on another forum that we should remove the patch panel in the line so you have the least number of terminations.

I read that too so I have my wires going straight to the adapters with no couplers/patch-panels/etc in between. Have not tried to see if any such couplers would really make a difference though.

if you can go straight through, go for it and save yourself one potential problem up-front...

good luck, and be sure to report back!
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #102 of 400 Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Newbie
 
madmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone

Happy to say that the signle cat HDMI powered extenders fix the problem. No more image flickering when you turn on a light switch or the heating system turns on, etc...

The only thing is that I noticed that with these extenders (http://www.amazon.com/Menotek-EXTEND...4403275&sr=1-2) I canot get more then 2 channel LPC audio. I do get the 1080P with no problem and even if they are HDMI 1.2a there is no handshake problems.

Any of you know of any other HDMI over single Cat that would also send 5.1 sound on top of 1080P video?

Let me know

Thanks
madmart is offline  
post #103 of 400 Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks for your update madmart, I will update the first post of the thread with your information.

I only send 2ch information over HDMI to the TV anyway, so I wouldn't have an answer to your question. I have an AV rack with everything in it (except the TV) and the Cat5 adapter is the long-haul from the final rack device (DVDO Edge) to the TV. Nothing comes back from the TV in my setup...

Maybe someone else can chime in with more support to your question..

btw, what kind of display are you using and how long (and what type) is your Cat5e/6/7 cable?

cheers,
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #104 of 400 Old 01-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Newbie
 
madmart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

My display is a 50" Panasonic 1080P. My cable is UTP Cat6 and the length is approx. 40'

I do notice now that the handshake takes a bit ot time when I switch between my PVR 8300HD and the PS3.

Not sure if it's because it's only HDMI ver 1.2b. Wondering if I could get the same results with powered extenders ver 1.3 which use Dual Cat wires?

Anybody with positive results?

Thanks
madmart is offline  
post #105 of 400 Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Colm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Cable powered media adapters have a lousy track record. Externally power ones seem to do better. The best seem to be the ones that use a single cable. I think you need to go back and read the thread.

FWIW if you aren't doing deep color or 3D you would probably do at least as well at that length with a passive HDMI cable like the Blue Jeans Cable Series 1. BJC claims to have done 125' at 1080P with that cable. Of course performance depends on more than just the cable. It also depends on all the electronics involved, the bit rate, and the environment.

Your handshake issues are likely due to the less robust method of transmission used for the handshake signals compared to the actual video/audio data.
Colm is offline  
post #106 of 400 Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Agree with what Colm has written. This thread is only 4 pages long and can be read in a single sitting quite easily. A lot can be learned from these first 4 pages. Single cable extenders seem to fair *significantly* better than their dual-cable counterparts. I even kept my old Cat5e UTP cables that I had already run. I am not even running Cat6 much less Shielded Cat6, or Cat7. And I put quite a bit more than the recommended "max pull tension" on the bundle when pulling 6 Cat5e plus 3 RG6QS through a 1" conduit for ~55ft. That was back when I thought dual-cable extenders would work better. Now I've got more Cat5e cables in that one conduit than I know what to do with! ... "Had I known then what I know now" applies heavily to my experience in this thread, and I imagine others as well!

The bottom of the first post in this thread has a summary of adapters that have been tried in this thread and reported as successful. If you are not pleased with yours, give feel free to give one of the others mentioned a shot.

cheers,
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #107 of 400 Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Member
 
oldskool75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following this thread for a while now. Firstly, thanks to everyone who has contributed to it so far! It's been very informative to date!

And have switched my purchasing decision from dual catX extenders to direct long (100') HDMI cable to now single catX extenders. I made the purchase but am waiting for delivery. Biggest problem for me is that I'm in Canada, and most places don't ship don't ship to here (including Amazon), so I have to ship via mule/friend.

More details when I finally receive this thing (at the end of this week) and get to test it out.

My concern revolves around madmart's first issue he mentioned (about no more than 2-channel LPC audio. Up to this point, it never occurred to me that no one was doing more than than 2-channel sound! Now I'm a bit concerned that this thing I bought (weeks ago) won't suit my needs afterall.

Has anyone successfully tried surround sound audio (5 or more channels) via HDMI using the single catX extenders? (Raw or encoded, although I'm particularily concerned with raw/lpc)
oldskool75 is offline  
post #108 of 400 Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM
Member
 
david_nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just received a set of the cheap-o Monoprice dual Cat5 extenders. I didn't have two 50' cables on hand to test, so I used a 50' and a 75' between my Dish 722k HD DVR and low-end 26" LCD TV in the kitchen. The sat. box is set to output 720p that matches the resolution of the Toshiba in the bedroom (on component outputs from the Dish box) and the one in the kitchen. The Monoprice ones are available from monoprice.com or from Amazon (which seems to ship quicker). For the price, they seem like they're worth trying out.
david_nc is offline  
post #109 of 400 Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Colm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool75 View Post

Has anyone successfully tried surround sound audio (5 or more channels) via HDMI using the single catX extenders? (Raw or encoded, although I'm particularily concerned with raw/lpc)

If the video gets through OK, so will the audio. It is transmitted on the same wires as the video, at a much lower bit rate.
Colm is offline  
post #110 of 400 Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool75 View Post

More details when I finally receive this thing (at the end of this week) and get to test it out.

[...]

Has anyone successfully tried surround sound audio (5 or more channels) via HDMI using the single catX extenders? (Raw or encoded, although I'm particularily concerned with raw/lpc)

Look forward to hearing your test reports! Please give all pertinent info (see post #1) so I can properly add it to our "database" ...

As for multichannel, you may need to try another thread. There are plenty of threads on here relating to HDMI extenders. This one is fairly dedicated to the loss-of-HDMI-on-power-glitch problem though, and I don't know that it gets enough views of people familiar with the multichannel capabilities of single-CatX HDMI extenders. I would imagine that these extenders are capable of the full surround sound formats because realistically the audio bandwidth is small compared to the video bandwidth on an HDMI link. If you find some answers please do consider dropping us a line back here also..

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_nc View Post

I just received a set of the cheap-o Monoprice dual Cat5 extenders. I didn't have two 50' cables on hand to test, so I used a 50' and a 75' between my Dish 722k HD DVR and low-end 26" LCD TV in the kitchen. The sat. box is set to output 720p that matches the resolution of the Toshiba in the bedroom (on component outputs from the Dish box) and the one in the kitchen. The Monoprice ones are available from monoprice.com or from Amazon (which seems to ship quicker). For the price, they seem like they're worth trying out.

It is generally NOT recommended to use CatXX cables of different lengths. The fact that you're only running 720p helps you significantly, but I'm still surprised that a difference of 50% (25') between the two cable lengths works at all. Extenders can usually go crazy distances with 480p and 720p and even 1080i, but 1080p datarates drop the transmission length pretty dramatically.

did you have dropout problems before with previous extenders? you didn't seem to mention prior difficulties ..

cheers,
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #111 of 400 Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

If the video gets through OK, so will the audio. It is transmitted on the same wires as the video, at a much lower bit rate.

said much more succinctly than me ... thanks Colm...

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #112 of 400 Old 01-10-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Colm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

It is generally NOT recommended to use CatXX cables of different lengths. The fact that you're only running 720p helps you significantly, but I'm still surprised that a difference of 50% (25') between the two cable lengths works at all.

Except for the fact that one cable may just be too long, I think it is only an issue for the four TMDS pairs used to transmit the clock and video data. Putting some of those pairs in one cable of one length and others in a cable of a different length might result in excessive inter-pair skew. I think most dual cable media adapters put all four TMDS pairs in the one cable and everything else in the other cable. But I seem to recall seeing at least one that didn't.
Colm is offline  
post #113 of 400 Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Imageek2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Except for the fact that one cable may just be too long, I think it is only an issue for the four TMDS pairs used to transmit the clock and video data. Putting some of those pairs in one cable of one length and others in a cable of a different length might result in excessive inter-pair skew. I think most dual cable media adapters put all four TMDS pairs in the one cable and everything else in the other cable. But I seem to recall seeing at least one that didn't.

I have 2 pairs of the Monoprice wallplate baluns along with pairs of 50' and 75' CAT5e cables purchased from Monoprice. On the 50' run I had to cut the connectors off to go through a wall. When I redid the connectors I wired them incorrectly, one of the inner pairs was reversed on both cables. No signal. I rewired cable 1 correctly and was about to do the same with cable 2 when I remembered reading that on baluns with IR control the IR runs through cable 2, that cable 1 is doing the heavy lifting. I plugged in cable 2 with no modifications and had signal. Haven't had a problem since. Seems like the Monoprice wallplate baluns aren't using all the pairs on cable 2.

At some point I will correct the mistake on cable 2 but at that point I was just so happy to have it work I figured leave well enough alone. I haven't had any problems with interference on either run with the dual baluns, but I am happy that if I did this thread would provide a solution!

When the moon is in the Seventh House
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
And love will steer the stars.
Imageek2 is online now  
post #114 of 400 Old 01-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Member
 
david_nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post


It is generally NOT recommended to use CatXX cables of different lengths. The fact that you're only running 720p helps you significantly, but I'm still surprised that a difference of 50% (25') between the two cable lengths works at all. Extenders can usually go crazy distances with 480p and 720p and even 1080i, but 1080p datarates drop the transmission length pretty dramatically.

did you have dropout problems before with previous extenders? you didn't seem to mention prior difficulties ..

cheers,
..dane

I definitely wouldn't install these with mis-matched cables like that; I just wanted to see how much better that TV would look with HD and to see how / if the extenders would work (I hate waiting to test out my 'toys'!) Plus, it was a 'worse case' test. I ordered two 50" Cat6 cables to be used when this is installed. I've not used any extenders before (if that question was for me); I had Output 2 from my 722k connected over coax to the old CRT TV until recently.
david_nc is offline  
post #115 of 400 Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Newbie
 
jc8587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

I am attempting to place all of my components in one place and ship HDMI out from my Denon, over cat-6, and on to the Panasonic. The previous owner of this house used component extenders with success, but I wanted to upgrade to HDMI.

I wanted to add my experiences with the following units:

1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Would transmit any signal 480p and below, but nothing 720i and up. I tried on a very short 3' run and on my 50' run of cat-6 I am attempting to set up. So we have an HDMI extender that does not extend HD. Awesome (sarcasm). These are going back tomorrow.

2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I thought I would have a backup with these component extenders... I was wrong. The audio was sickening to listen to and the video had many random lines flowing all over the screen. Needless to say these are going back to amazon as well.

3) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I know these are the two-wire extenders that people do not recommend, but they get good reviews. I am going to test these out next and will update with my results when they arrive.

In the meantime, are there any other affordable solutions? I am this close (--) to tying a 50' HDMI cable to my cat-6 and yanking it up and over the attic.

PS.. the Menotek and the Conversion Technologies are the exact same product/user manual/packaging ect...

Here to learn.
jc8587 is offline  
post #116 of 400 Old 01-15-2011, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Phillie14586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The #3 ones I have and need to return. I used to get about 30 sec out of them before it would drop the signal and now they wont even connect. I am running about 80 ft of Cat6 between them.
Phillie14586 is offline  
post #117 of 400 Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Member
 
david_nc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc8587 View Post

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

I am attempting to place all of my components in one place and ship HDMI out from my Denon, over cat-6, and on to the Panasonic. The previous owner of this house used component extenders with success, but I wanted to upgrade to HDMI.

I wanted to add my experiences with the following units:

1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Would transmit any signal 480p and below, but nothing 720i and up. I tried on a very short 3' run and on my 50' run of cat-6 I am attempting to set up. So we have an HDMI extender that does not extend HD. Awesome (sarcasm). These are going back tomorrow.

2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I thought I would have a backup with these component extenders... I was wrong. The audio was sickening to listen to and the video had many random lines flowing all over the screen. Needless to say these are going back to amazon as well.

3) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I know these are the two-wire extenders that people do not recommend, but they get good reviews. I am going to test these out next and will update with my results when they arrive.

In the meantime, are there any other affordable solutions? I am this close (--) to tying a 50' HDMI cable to my cat-6 and yanking it up and over the attic.

PS.. the Menotek and the Conversion Technologies are the exact same product/user manual/packaging ect...

I went even cheaper ($25) with the Monoprice 2-wire extenders. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product. I run 720p and 1080i (the limits of my TV) and use 50' Cat5e cables. The only issue I had, when I was testing the extenders and had the Cat5 cables laying on the floor, was when I changed speeds on a small floor fan. The image would blank for a couple of seconds. Moving the cable so it wasn't laying along side of the fan's cord took care of the problem. Since I installed the 'real' cables over the weekend, I've had no more problems.

One thing to be aware of... these extenders seem to use every wire in a Cat5/6 cable. One of my new (pre-made) cables was bad. Of course, I found out after running them in the walls, crawlspace, etc. After switching out the offending cable, all is well. That bad cable is still good for Ethernet, though. I ran my Seagate FreeAgent Theater + on it with no problems.
david_nc is offline  
post #118 of 400 Old 01-18-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

I think most dual cable media adapters put all four TMDS pairs in the one cable and everything else in the other cable. But I seem to recall seeing at least one that didn't.

The Arkview / Sabrent dual-cat5e extenders do in fact split the video across both cables (see here). It's a nice pinout option in that it does not matter if you terminate with T568A or T568B technique, but does not keep all the TMDS pairs on one cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post

Seems like the Monoprice wallplate baluns aren't using all the pairs on cable 2.

which might be why more people have better luck with them-- if they're re-encoding the down to primarily one cable, then that's doing the trick to fix the EMI vulnerability. From what I am reading, it seems that most dual-cat5e adapters do not down-encode to one cable but simply attempt to impedance-match and cleanup/recover the signal on the far-end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageek2 View Post

I haven't had any problems with interference on either run with the dual baluns, but I am happy that if I did this thread would provide a solution!

...trying to, anyway!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jc8587 View Post

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

I am attempting to place all of my components in one place and ship HDMI out from my Denon, over cat-6, and on to the Panasonic. The previous owner of this house used component extenders with success, but I wanted to upgrade to HDMI.

I wanted to add my experiences with the following units:

1) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
Would transmit any signal 480p and below, but nothing 720i and up. I tried on a very short 3' run and on my 50' run of cat-6 I am attempting to set up. So we have an HDMI extender that does not extend HD. Awesome (sarcasm). These are going back tomorrow.

2) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I thought I would have a backup with these component extenders... I was wrong. The audio was sickening to listen to and the video had many random lines flowing all over the screen. Needless to say these are going back to amazon as well.

3) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
I know these are the two-wire extenders that people do not recommend, but they get good reviews. I am going to test these out next and will update with my results when they arrive.

In the meantime, are there any other affordable solutions? I am this close (--) to tying a 50' HDMI cable to my cat-6 and yanking it up and over the attic.

PS.. the Menotek and the Conversion Technologies are the exact same product/user manual/packaging ect...

Thanks. While the Menotek and CT60S look to be the same, since I don't personally own both I am hesitant to make such a sweeping statement. Most likely however they are both OEM'd from the same source...

There is always a chance to get more information for everyone's configuration. If you (and anyone else) have a chance to go back to the first post to see what newer information I'm looking for, that'd be great.

One question I have for you is whether or not you're using pre-terminated cables, or if you are terminating them yourself. Also in question is whether or not you subjected the cables to excessive force while pulling the cables from location A to location B. Also in question is whether or not your cable runs are run adjacent to 120V power lines, "noisy" fluorescent lights, "noisy" incandescent/tungsten dimmers, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillie14586 View Post

The #3 ones I have and need to return. I used to get about 30 sec out of them before it would drop the signal and now they wont even connect. I am running about 80 ft of Cat6 between them.

If the video is dropping out within 30 seconds without anything else going on (light switches, dimmers, air conditioning/heating units, etc), then it might be an HDCP issue (content protection). Are you sure everything in your chain is HDCP-compliant?

Regardless, thanks for that info. please check the first post for lots more info. that can be provided to give the most benefit for other readers...


thanks again to everyone for your continued support in this thread!
..dane

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #119 of 400 Old 01-18-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
audiodane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_nc View Post

I went even cheaper ($25) with the Monoprice 2-wire extenders. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product. I run 720p and 1080i (the limits of my TV) and use 50' Cat5e cables. The only issue I had, when I was testing the extenders and had the Cat5 cables laying on the floor, was when I changed speeds on a small floor fan. The image would blank for a couple of seconds. Moving the cable so it wasn't laying along side of the fan's cord took care of the problem. Since I installed the 'real' cables over the weekend, I've had no more problems.

One thing to be aware of... these extenders seem to use every wire in a Cat5/6 cable. One of my new (pre-made) cables was bad. Of course, I found out after running them in the walls, crawlspace, etc. After switching out the offending cable, all is well. That bad cable is still good for Ethernet, though. I ran my Seagate FreeAgent Theater + on it with no problems.

very interesting, thanks for that update!

and yes, they use every wire of both cables...

 
audiodane's Panasonic Plasma Black Level Reset Widget
Self-contained widget based on work of mironto and others
Help for those battling HDMI extension
audiodane is offline  
post #120 of 400 Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Newbie
 
jc8587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post

Thanks. While the Menotek and CT60S look to be the same, since I don't personally own both I am hesitant to make such a sweeping statement. Most likely however they are both OEM'd from the same source...

There is always a chance to get more information for everyone's configuration. If you (and anyone else) have a chance to go back to the first post to see what newer information I'm looking for, that'd be great.

One question I have for you is whether or not you're using pre-terminated cables, or if you are terminating them yourself. Also in question is whether or not you subjected the cables to excessive force while pulling the cables from location A to location B. Also in question is whether or not your cable runs are run adjacent to 120V power lines, "noisy" fluorescent lights, "noisy" incandescent/tungsten dimmers, etc..

!
..dane

Dane,

Judging by the Menotek and CT user manuals, which contain the exact same broken english and performance stats word for word, I am going to say you are correct in that they are sourced by the same OEM manufacturer.

These cables were installed prior to my purchase of the house. I'm sure they were terminated by the previous owner. I know for a fact, since he built the house, he ran the cables clear of 120 lines and had access to the walls pre-drywall so no pulling/stress was induced to the runs. The previous owner ran Component over cat-6 using similar baluns with full 1080i compliance. I even witnessed 3d over cat-6 on components while at the house prior to me moving in.

I also ordered another set from monprice which will come today and I will report on it when I get a chance. (http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2)

Still waiting on the other set from amazon. Should be in today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your work, Dane. I hope I can figure this situation out without running HDMI or more cat-6 lines. Are wireless soltutions feasible?

-Chris

Here to learn.
jc8587 is offline  
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Iogear Vga Cat5e 6 Audio Video Receiver Gve140rx Black
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off