Problems connecting Sony Blu-ray player to internet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-05-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wondering if anybody can help me connect my new Sony Blu-ray player (BDP-BX57) to the internet.

I don't use a wireless network at home. Everything is wired. I bought an ethernet switch (Trendnet 5-port 10/100MBPS Fast Ethernet Switch). I have an ethernet cable (CAT5e) running from the cable modem (from comcast) into the ethernet switch, and an ethernet cable running from the switch to the back of my PC. Internet works fine from PC. Just hooked up the Sony Blu-ray (BDP-BX57) to the ethernet switch with another ethernet cable (CAT5E). The internet still works fine on my PC, but the Bluray player can't connect for some reason.

When I look at the player internet diagnostics, it reads:

Connection Method: Wired
Physical Connection: OK
Internet Access: Failed

etc..., etc...

It shows my IP address and other info, but it can't connect for some reason. Does anybody know if I'm doing anything wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-05-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Your cable modem will only provide one connection (IP address) to the Internet. You need a "residential gateway" aka 'a router' to allow multiple devices to share that one connection. This would replace the switch (or at least be the first thing after the cable modem, you can use that switch to increase your port count later). This one will do the trick:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-091-_-Product

Note, however, that since *wireless* routers are so popular, they can be had for the same price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127241

Even if you don't need the wireless today, for the same price, get one - and just turn off the wireless network until you need it.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 22 Old 09-06-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot, I'll try that!
post #4 of 22 Old 11-24-2010, 07:05 PM

need a little help, already been on the phone with Sony support and they ran out of ideas. they had me reboot the modem, because a diag mentioned a DNS failure, reset to factory settings and tried everything all over again.

I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys/Cisco E3000 wireless router.
My download speeds are sufficient at 11Mbps. I already have a Wii accessing the internet. But i cannot figure out how to get the Sony BX57 to access the Internet.

I get Connection Okay, Internet access Failed.
I can see the Sony Player in my routers client Table.
Tried auto/scan connection, WI-FI protected setup, and a manual connection entering all the addresses.
This router is dual band. I have set the 5ghz band to WPA2 encrytion and verified the keys again and again. still get okay/failed result.
I have even tried disabling the router firewall while trying to connect the player!
still okay connection, failed access!

The router also has an Unencryted guest network that I cannot get this player to access. I know the guest network is good, I can connect to it using the phone.
Still get okay/failed result!

Do you think it could be a faulty player? I am outta ideas... would love to hear if anyone has some suggestions, before I make a trip to return!
post #5 of 22 Old 11-25-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Probably not a faulty player, but could be a firmware / compatibility issue with either the player or the router. Also, I don't know if the player is using the 5Gz band, probably only the 2.4GHz. Make sure you have the 2.4GHz band enabled (mixed b/g/n). If it can't connect to an unencrypted/open guest network, that's not a good sign... A couple of other things to try:

1) Check for firmware upgrades on both your router and the BD player - make sure you're using the latest. The Sony will have alternate ways to update the firmware if you can't connect to the Internet.

2) Attach the player to the router using a wired Ethernet connection and see if it connects.

3) Attach the player directly to the cable modem (disconnect the router) and try again.

4) Borrow a different make/model of router, or take the BD player to a friend's house any try their setup.

Hope that helps, these types of issues are never easy...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 22 Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM

I have the same problem as described above with my BDP BX57. I can connect to the wireless router, but it says that the gateway is not responding. Funny thing is, that I can get all of the streaming services without a problem. I even get notices displayed on the box from Sony that I need a firmware update. Therefore, it is connecting to the internet just fine. Also standing next to the box, I can get to the internet through my wireless router with my laptop and cell phone.

But when you look at the network status, it says that there is a wireless connection but no internet connection. The Sony Diagnostics say that the gateway is not responding, but I know the gateway is fine, I have three other computers and two cell phones that are going through that gateway without any problems. I checked all of the IP addresses and they are what they should be. Why are they looking for a response from the gateway anyway? Shouldnt they just be passively going through the gateway? Are they trying to do something stupid with my gateway as part of their DRM?

When you try to get a firmware update, it says that there is no internet access so it will not update. I finally downloaded the latest firmware update and put it on a disk and updated the box manually, but it didnt change anything.

I finally hardwired the box to my wired main firewall router to bypass any potential wireless problems, but it didnt fix anything, I still get the same problem. I have 20 Mbps internet connection, so I know that it is not a bandwidth problem. I also checked that cable going to the Sony by connecting it to my laptop and it connected to the internet just fine.

I think that the problem is a software glitch in Sonys communication program. Sony customer service claim that that would be impossible, and thats what convinced me that it was true. All the streaming services connect and play just fine, except Netflix, which keeps loosing connection because Sony is rerouting all Netflix through their overloaded servers, but that is a different known problem with Sony.

If you can ignore that fact that it is only the Sony update service, status screen, and diagnostics that can't connect to the internet (everything non-Sony connects just fine) the machine isnt all that bad.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-05-2011, 11:48 AM

I have FINALLY figured out the solution to the 'gateway is not responding problem'. My firewall box is setup to not respond to ICMP pings. Once I allowed it to respond to pings, everything started working. Apparently, what Sony is doing is a ping to gateway as the first step in evaluating whether or not you can connect to the internet. Netflix, Youtube, and all the other apps couldn't care less and they work just fine. I am now able to perform network updates over Wi-fi, which was actually the main reason I sprung for a Blu-Ray player with Wi-fi in the first place. I hope this helps somebody else out because it took me HOURS to figure out and Sony certainly wasn't any help.
post #8 of 22 Old 03-05-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin6case View Post

Sony is doing is ping to gateway as the first step in evaluating whether or not you can connect to the internet.

Kinda intrusive if u ask me.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #9 of 22 Old 12-29-2011, 11:13 AM

wow; just turned "ping" on and viola. That is shady. oh well...
post #10 of 22 Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 AM

we deeply regret the problem caused to you. please make a call to our customer support team,they will assist you in this.
Thanks and Regards
Sony Support
post #11 of 22 Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 PM

I seem to be having the same issues trying to connect to actually anything through my blue ray player. It keeps saying "provisional server failed". I've checked my internet and everything is fine. I'm use lynksis 2.4. I was able to connect to the internet yesterday but today I'm getting the "provisional server failed" message. I'm tried disconnecting and reconnecting everything but this doesn't help
post #12 of 22 Old 02-27-2013, 03:37 AM

How did you allow for pings on your firewall box? thanks!
Kristen
post #13 of 22 Old 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Yes how do you do the ping thing?! I have a Sony Blu-Ray with WiFi. and haven't been able to get communication going between my router and the Blu-Ray.
Frustrating!
post #14 of 22 Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM

Not sure if this will help you but i went into the settings on my sony and turned off auto access permission under renderer options, mine was already hooking up to the wifi but kept bringing down our internet everytime i tried to watch a movie via wifi
post #15 of 22 Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 AM

sorry im kinda late but I had the same problem using a netgear gaming router connected to my sony bdp bx37 suddenly it stopped working connections were all ok and all other devices worked well after tons of googling and resetting I finally decided to reset the router to factory default and reinstall the router software I also unplugged the bluray player for about 15 seconds before resetting the router. and miraculously my internet video service  now works. I did have to do the wifi protected setup on all my network devices which took an=bout 10 seconds and then my network was all in sync and working perfectly again.

Also trend net is a piece of crap I tried using a trendnet gaming router with my bluray before I got the netgear and no matter the trouble shooting it would not work. that's what I got for going the cheap route. I sent it back and purchased a netgear it set up in  30 seconds and has been working great ever since.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Anyone having issues with this tonight? I have 2 Sony devices and both can connect WiFi OK, but can't get to the provisioning service.

I rebooted everything, reset my blue ray to factory default, enabled ICMP ping from WAN, and still can't get myth busters on Netflix for my son....
post #17 of 22 Old 10-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Sussed.

I don't know what did it. I used the browser and book marked www.Sony.com. now it works
post #18 of 22 Old 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM

Having same issues with Provisioning Service connection Status:Failed - La Junta es muy loca!

Never had a problem with this before, unable to stream anything from the BD.

Was working earlier today, have switched to streaming from laptop.

post #19 of 22 Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 PM

Tried the www.sony.com bookmark from laptop - no joy.

I am amazed how frustrating this is - especially given that this is the FIRST time my unit has not worked in 2 years  ;) .....

post #20 of 22 Old 10-17-2013, 07:34 PM

Wife reports that this started around 22:30 - 23:00 GMT

post #21 of 22 Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 PM

Hey nothappy18
Did you try the enable ping on WAN side of your router?

It must have been that, or Sony fixed something related to provisioning server because I changed nothing on my little Sony roku type device, and it started to work again too.
post #22 of 22 Old 10-18-2013, 01:51 PM

Sony confirmed they had an outage today via a chat session. They verified that ICMP ping to WAN interface is not required.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page