Whole Home Audio Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I am in the winding down stages of a new construction design. I have all of my cable plans laid out, and decided to plan for a whole-home audio system as well. Since I am already pulling a load of Cat-5e cable, I have decided to go with one of the systems that utilizes it. The house is two stories with 8 planned zones, all cabling ran to a closet in the garage with cooling.

My question for everyone, is their experiences with either the Channel Vision 4 input/4 zone system or the On-Q system. They both appear to have about the same performance characteristics, and roughly the same price. I am not worried about having the A number One sound, because I know that the units are power limited. The system is being put in for general listening and during gatherings, so that you don't have areas where the sound is unbearably loud where the speakers are.

I am not against going to the home run of speaker wires either, I just haven't seen a system at roughly the same ballpark cost. The Sonos systems seem to be nice, but also seem to be a bit out of the range.

Thanks ahead for the input!

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-29-2010, 07:56 PM

I am exactly in the same situation, with the exception that I would like mainly to browse and play my digital audio collection stored in a ReadyNAS DLNA enabled (On-Q seems like does not fit, but I do like the wall plates). I actually have a very similar post in this forum with all the details of what I have and what I need.

Can I know what exact solutions you have look for? Did you see the Russound Collage system for example?

Thanks,
Miguel
post #3 of 5 Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Regardless of your choice now, you should seriously consider running speaker wire in parallel with your cat5. Loop the speaker wire through a control panel / volume control location in the room on the way to the speaker locations.

Then you'll be set to choose any system now, and any different system later, since you'd have the proper cabling in place for any of the products...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 5 Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

@Jeff - Thanks for the comments. It won't be that much more difficult to pull a 14/4 cable along with the Cat-5e, so no big one there. I like the idea of have it in the wall just in case. Since the speakers will already be wired to a junction box, it would just be a swap of the wall item.

@ Miguel - I have looked at a lot of the A-Bus capable systems, even though they "should" be compatible, I kind of doubt that full functionality would exist. I have looked at Channel Vision, Russsound, MTX's version, now On-Q.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-30-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Nuvo Simplese and EG6 might be worth looking at - I think both can be used with the MPS4 Music Server (which provides internet sources and networked music files).

If you get the MPS4, you don't really need any other components like the FM tuner and CD player, unless you want more than 4 sources playing at once.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page