Nuvo Concerto + MPS4 vs. Russound Collage - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After looking a lot of systems, I need opinions. I am considering one of the following systems:

- Nuvo Concerto + MPS4
- Cheap and simple A-bus intercom

Good: A-Bus system
Bad: Two separate systems not integrated, already have a NAS so the MPS4 is sort of redundant.

OR

- Russound Collage

Good: intercom integrated, reads from my NAS
Bad: not A-bus, it uses the electric grid (which I sort of do not like)

I have heard very good things about Nuvo. From the price stand point, Russound is a bit cheaper (after a good advice from a member of this forum, I found it at close to 3500 USD for my 6 zones).

Question: anyone with any kind of experience using the Russound Collage system?

Thanks,
Miguel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I haven't heard of anyone DIYing Collage, still new.

If you're not installing the system yourself, the pro installer may have a system set up and running that you can try out.

Don't expect any help from a pro installer if you're buying the system yourself. You typically have to buy the system from the installer at a (legitimate) markup. And, not many people online to help you with the install - something I considered before buying my Nuvo system. Support from Russound for the Collage may be limited for the DIYer.

So, not having great support for the install may play a role in your decision.

Like UPB, Collage devices on different phases may cause headaches. I think Russound offers testing equipment, to be used by the installer, prior to the install.

If you can wait, Russound's music server will likely be an option for Russound's other, conventionally wired systems, eventually.

Nuvo's powerline system is called the Renovia. Nuvo's MPS4 Music Server can work with both the Renovia and their other systems. Russound isn't to that point yet, AFAIK.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the quick response.

The problem I am having is that I live in Japan; there are no authorized dealers/installers at all in this country. So I do not mind to pay a bit more from a dealer as long as they can provide help over mail.

From everything I have seen about Collage, seems more directed to the DIYers and I can see explanations and videos on the web about what to do if one of the zones do not play well within the network. In my case, if any zone gives me headaches, I would patch an electric wire from the central closet just to connect the device remember I have conduits to all walls, so I can sort of create a dedicated electrical network just for the system if required I do need to rewire the speakers (currently going to the central closet instead of the walls where the plate-wall will be), but this should not be a big deal (any idea if cables from the ceiling speakers to the central closet and then back to the wall-plate in each room is ok?).

I do like Nuvo (and I have heard so many good things about it) and other Russound systems, but what I want to avoid is to buy another music server (like Nuvo, Russound, Crestron ) when I have a quite equipped ReadyNAS with all my music on it and barely used now.

If Collage were an A-Bus system I would not be thinking twice. If Sonos and Nuvo had intercom and wall-plates I would not be thinking twice either.

Any one with any experience installing or using a Russound Collage system?
post #4 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I started hanging around this forum and learned a bit of new info. I was going to go the exact same path with you with the Nuvo system but the media server is pricy and in your case redundant. Sonos seems to be the best alternative with either the integrated power amplifier or an external distribution amplifier.

Nuvo seems to get a lot of complaints about the sound quality; breaking up at higher volumes. Also, with a large music library, browsing through the keypad could be a time consuming task. An iPhone app is offered but for $100. Obviously this system requires tearing down walls. (you can find a good deal on this system for about $4,000+)

The SONOS system would integrate your NAS as a music server for way less. The interference IMO is a bit simpler to use and large libraries are more easy to navigate. The app for an iphone is free and it allows you to control everything from a computer. Not to mention no tearing down walls, except installing speakers.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar0215 View Post

The SONOS system would integrate your NAS as a music server for way less. The interference IMO is a bit simpler to use and large libraries are more easy to navigate. The app for an iPhone is free and it allows you to control everything from a computer. Not to mention no tearing down walls, except installing speakers.

I love Sonos for what I have seen, and they can be stacked-up in the central closet, connected through Cat 5e/6 to each other or to a hub, no need to use the wireless feature at all if you are equipped.

But Sonos offer neither intercom nor wall plates. I do not want to have one (or two, or three) controls hanging around, nowhere to be found when you need them. And adding 6 remote controls, one for each zone, turns to be expensive.

Also, I do not mind buying a cheap intercom system (I would need it for either Sonos or Nuvo), but I prefer not to have the music and intercom systems separated (when music is playing you may not hear the intercom).

In other words, even I learn more and more about other products, nothing fits me 100%
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel.mateo View Post

I love Sonos for what I have seen, and they can be stacked-up in the central closet, connected through Cat 5e/6 to each other or to a hub, no need to use the wireless feature at all if you are equipped.

But Sonos offer neither intercom nor wall plates. I do not want to have one (or two, or three) controls hanging around, nowhere to be found when you need them. And adding 6 remote controls, one for each zone, turns to be expensive.

Also, I do not mind buying a cheap intercom system (I would need it for either Sonos or Nuvo), but I prefer not to have the music and intercom systems separated (when music is playing you may not hear the intercom).

In other words, even I learn more and more about other products, nothing fits me 100%

You would need only one remote to control your ENTIRE system. The problem is dragging the remote everywhere from room to room. Hence the ipod and computer solution helps too.

WIth my search I also have not found anything that fits me 100%. Either this is missing or I have features I wont use. Ideal systems like yours CAN be built but for outrageous costs.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Do you know any way to integrate Sonos with another A-Bus intercom system? I just need the music to pause while intercom is being used.

Have you seen Russound Collage? Thanks!
post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 PM

With what I am reading the Russound ComPoint CAN be integrated with the SONOS system. Do some more research on this as I am not 100 positive.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

With what I am reading the Russound ComPoint CAN be integrated with the SONOS system. Do some more research on this as I am not 100 positive.

Based on ComPoint installation manual, yes it can be integrated, I just need to run the speaker cables through the key-pads. This could be a possible solution for me: Sonos + Russound ComPoint.

Anyone that have seen, used, installed, touched a Russound Collage system? Any opinion about it?

Thanks!
post #10 of 14 Old 10-05-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:

Based on ComPoint installation manual, yes it can be integrated, I just need to run the speaker cables through the key-pads. This could be a possible solution for me: Sonos + Russound ComPoint.

Anyone that have seen, used, installed, touched a Russound Collage system? Any opinion about it?

Thanks!

Because it would work, I am not sure how cost effective this system would be, but works none the less.

The College system, IMO, scares me. People spend a lot of money to clean their power lines and filter the "dirty" power. This products send all your audio through the power in your house. I don't know much but that sounds like a scary concept to me despite a lot of companies going with that. It's also a possible solution without tearing up walls.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The MPS4 has a hard drive, but I'm guessing it's to get around DRM issues. I've heard that the limited hard drive capacity can be expanded with an external HD.

Wherever yor music files are located on your network, they need to be local to be played.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #12 of 14 Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

Wherever yor music files are located on your network, they need to be local to be played.

Not necessarily, the music can be in your central storage and you used thin devices to stream it. For example, with Sonos, each amplifier would connect to my NAS (or network HDD), get the music from there, stream it back to the amplifier and play it.

In Nuvo's case, I would need to copy my digital collection to the MPS4. This is the main reason why I like Sonos and potentially Collage, they get the music from where you already have it stored, no need to change that.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 AM

Quote:

Not necessarily, the music can be in your central storage and you used thin devices to stream it. For example, with Sonos, each amplifier would connect to my NAS (or network HDD), get the music from there, stream it back to the amplifier and play it.

In Nuvo's case, I would need to copy my digital collection to the MPS4. This is the main reason why I like Sonos and potentially Collage, they get the music from where you already have it stored, no need to change that.

That's a plus. Less looking around for files and such. I looked on the Sonos website the other day and I stumbled upon an application for the Mac, probably something equivalent for PC, that allows SYNCING of your iTunes with your NAS. Very helpful and doesn't require manual dragging and dropping of new content into your NAS. Program was called DeJaVu
post #14 of 14 Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

That's a plus. Less looking around for files and such. I looked on the Sonos website the other day and I stumbled upon an application for the Mac, probably something equivalent for PC, that allows SYNCING of your iTunes with your NAS. Very helpful and doesn't require manual dragging and dropping of new content into your NAS. Program was called DeJaVu

Or, you could just move the entire iTunes library to NAS and have it in just one location rather than two. You can still connect to it from your computer of course, just make the itunes point to library file on the NAS. Also helped free up disk space in my laptop. Not much reason to keep library on the computer, unless it is a laptop that you carry out of home and so need it there.

If sync to NAS is still desired, look up syncback - very handy for backups / syncing etc. I have it setup to automatically sync to the NAS twice a week.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page