Aton HDR44 set-up questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-01-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm installing two Aton HDR44s to handle a Blue-Ray, two DTV HD receivers, and my security cameras. I have the house wired with Cat 6 and all runs have checked OK with a comercial tester. I hooked up the Blue-Ray to see the system work before I started installing the other goodies and have had no luck.

I am still on one Aton box and have the Blue-Ray hooked to #1 and a tv set up at one of the wall boxes. The IR repeaters are in place. The tv has no input. I tested the tv with a direct connection to the Blu-Ray and it works just fine.

Question: What turns the blue lights on on the Aton? None of mine are lit up.

Any troubleshooting suggestions appreciated. The Aton manual is useless at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Also, any suggestions on best/easiest programable ir remotes?
post #3 of 9 Old 11-01-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 354
The unit powers up with all outputs "off". the blue LEDs on the front of the unit indicate that a zone is turned on. Use the Aton remote to turn the zone on/off. And a great shortcut - using the remote to select a source in a zone, also turns the zone on... And a note - just leave all the zones on - it actually decreases power consumption a bit (don't ask me why!).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 9 Old 11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedInput View Post

Also, any suggestions on best/easiest programable ir remotes?

I'm using the Universal (URC) WR7, which can learn the Aton codes (I make them the 'aux' source, and program 1-4 for the sources). About $20-30, cheapest learning IR remote I know of, and it's not a bad remote, either!

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #5 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

The unit powers up with all outputs "off". the blue LEDs on the front of the unit indicate that a zone is turned on. Use the Aton remote to turn the zone on/off. And a great shortcut - using the remote to select a source in a zone, also turns the zone on... And a note - just leave all the zones on - it actually decreases power consumption a bit (don't ask me why!).

Jeff

Neither HDR44 will respond to either of my remotes in regards to turning on the blue lights. I'll check the remote batteries today.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I don't actually need an input signal or output zone to get the blue lights to come on. Is that correct?

Thanks, Jack
post #6 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedInput View Post

Neither HDR44 will respond to either of my remotes in regards to turning on the blue lights. I'll check the remote batteries today.

If I'm reading your post correctly, I don't actually need an input signal or output zone to get the blue lights to come on. Is that correct?

Thanks, Jack

No.

There's no IR receiver on the HDR44 unit itself. Unless you've got an external IR receiver hooked up to the unit (unlikely), you need an output zone with an IR receiver to turn the zone on.

In other words, if you're pointing the remote at the HDR44, nothing is going to happen...

Jeff

post #7 of 9 Old 11-02-2010, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

No.

In other words, if you're pointing the remote at the HDR44, nothing is going to happen...

Jeff

post #8 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 AM

I am doing an addition and am going to get the HDR44. Right now, we only have one television and it has a built in DVD player. After the addition, we will have 4 total televisions. I was going to hook up one cable box, a Roku 3, and a DVD player to the HDR44. In the future, I might hook up another cable box. Anybody have any suggestions for what type of DVD/Blu Ray player I should get? As I am getting a Roku 3, I do not think it needs to be Network enabled. All that I need for it to do is play the DVDs/Blu Rays.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbat View Post

I am doing an addition and am going to get the HDR44. Right now, we only have one television and it has a built in DVD player. After the addition, we will have 4 total televisions. I was going to hook up one cable box, a Roku 3, and a DVD player to the HDR44. In the future, I might hook up another cable box. Anybody have any suggestions for what type of DVD/Blu Ray player I should get? As I am getting a Roku 3, I do not think it needs to be Network enabled. All that I need for it to do is play the DVDs/Blu Rays.

You'll need to find a used or previous-to-2012 model BD player, as any models newer than that will not have component video outputs. The Roku is HDMI only, so you won't be able to use it with the HDR44. Those inexpensive streamer boxes are better off being dedicated to each TV.

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page