Russound Help - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That receiver doesn't really have what you are looking for. The cat-5 cable could be for IR receivers, or something else entirely. The easiest thing for you to do would be to get an home theater receiver with a zone two output, and buy an external amplifier for all the volume controls around the house. I would avoid using 6 pairs of speakers in addition to a theater.

Steve LeBlanc
Director of Customer Support
Russound
stevel@russound.com
603-292-0494
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 10

Hello,

I just bought a used CA6.4i on eBay to replace an older CA6.4 that I've had for 12 years. I found the wiring diagram on the Internet for the RJ45 connectors which plug into the CA6.4i. I've tried a couple of combinations but I'm having trouble getting the new unit to work. I have the older CA keypads with the round knob. After reading this forum I assumed that the old keypads could be used with the CA6.4i. The seller of the used CA6.4i said that the unit was in perfect condition. However, when I plug it in all of the zone lights are green. On the old CA6.4 the zone lights would be red. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

post #33 of 37 Old 11-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoore15 View Post

Hello,
I just bought a used CA6.4i on eBay to replace an older CA6.4 that I've had for 12 years. I found the wiring diagram on the Internet for the RJ45 connectors which plug into the CA6.4i. I've tried a couple of combinations but I'm having trouble getting the new unit to work. I have the older CA keypads with the round knob. After reading this forum I assumed that the old keypads could be used with the CA6.4i. The seller of the used CA6.4i said that the unit was in perfect condition. However, when I plug it in all of the zone lights are green. On the old CA6.4 the zone lights would be red. I would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

First, the lights should be red, not green. Sounds like you got a bad unit. The CA series is getting long in the tooth, and I personally have bought two units recently that were bad. Usually the source select board, if I was guessing. So, I'd get my $$$$ back on this unit.

Secondly, Russound has published wiring conversion sheets to allow you to use older pads with newer amps, and vice-versa. They used to be on the Russound sute, but if you can't find them, PM me. I saved a bunch of their data sheets as pdf's and could look them up to see if I can help.

I've also noticed that the newer amps are going for similar prices as the CA's. maybe it's time to buy a complete new system? I've considered this but have three units and 16 zones.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #34 of 37 Old 04-02-2014, 05:56 AM

sorry to revive this thread again. I just moved into this house and it has a russound multi room audio distribution system. it has 6 pads in the wall controlling 12 speakers in the ceiling, but I don't have the control unit so it's not working. really appreciated if someone can give some advise on how to make it work. I am a newbie to this. here are some pics of the system.

post #35 of 37 Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Hi fsfst and welcome to the forum!

Pix were a great idea. You need a Russound CA6.4. controller..not a 6.4i. You will see them on ebay frequently in the $150 to $300 range. make sure that you get one that is stated to work perfectly so you can return it if it does not. Many on ebay have defective zone boards, and don't work properly. Make sure you can return it, or at least get a refund from eBay if it is defective.

To hook it up: The wider, Cat-5 connectors come from the keypads in each room and plug into the top row of outputs on the CA6.4. The other connectors go to the speaker outputs (bottom row) on the CA6.4 controller. The easiest way to figure out which keypad connector goes with which speaker connector is simply to plug in a keypad connector and then a speaker connector right under it. Walk through the house and find which speakers are playing. That's a pair...mark them so you will remember that they go together. Repeat....

Now you have the keypads and the speakers sorted out and connected. The next step is to set up sources so you have something to listen to. The inputs (RCA plugs) are labeled CD, Tuner, Tape, etc... I forget what exactly. You can use any source you want in any input here. The keypads can be programmed to show any of a number of labels. Just push the source button for a few seconds and then scroll to the label you want. When choosing source devices, remember, the keypad will transmit IR remotes signals through the controller and out to the device using IR flashers (the 1/8" plugs on the back). This means you can control the CD player, dvd, tuner, cable box, etc. from each room. Very cool!

Here's how my sources are configured. I have three CA series controllers and have 16 zones in my home. I run four sources: an AM tuner, FM/HD Radio tuner, cable box/DSS and a PC for digital tunes.

A few years ago I decided I wanted HDTV's in each room of the house. I use a component cable HDTV distribution system to transmit HDTV video over three RG6 cables for each room. The cable box in my utility closet (where the Russound gear, etc. lives) can be controlled via the Russound IR repeat function from any room. The audio portion is transmitted via the Russound WH system. I simply run the audio out RCA's into the Russound zone for DSS. Sound comes out over the Russound speakers while video comes via the HD video distribution system. Why component and not HDMI? Lots of handshake issues, etc., etc. ,etc. make it a nightmare. On my sub-48" HDTVs in secondary rooms like a bedroom or master bath, the 1080i via component looks fine. The rooms with lots of viewing have dedicated cable boxes, BD players, AVRs, speakers, etc. and ARE connected via HDMI. And there is the dedicated theater downstairs, which is another story .....

I run Foobar 2000on the PC to do media playback and have a Steamzap IR remote dongle to control playback functions. However, I usually just use a netbook and remote desktop connection to control the music server PC. I'm looking at apps to do this on an android or tablet, but just haven't done it yet. I have a USB DAC (Behringer, about $50) but you can use the standard 1/8" output and use a 1/8" to 2xRCA cable if you like to plug into the Russound CA6.4.

Using the AM and HDRadio tuners is pretty straightforward. They are IR remote controllable models, and the flashers send the commands. I set the AM tuner to a news talk station and the HDRadio tuner to a rock station. I rarely change the station, but could.

BTW, I use Logitech Harmony remotes to control all the gear in each room. You don't need the Russound specific remotes, although they work if you have them. Logitech has the codes built in for Russound and any of their universal remotes will work. I use SS-659's, cause they were relatively cheap when I bought them and work fine. I have nearly 20 at last count. Make sure to do a unique ID when you program them online. Write it down!!! Save it!! Voice of experience here :-) I have flat panel TVs everywhere, and the room remote is programmed to control the specific TV and the volume for the Russound system for the room. Each room remote is programmed to control the radio tuners, cable box and music PC. Go in the guest bedroom, pick up a Harmony, push 'Watch TV' ad the TV comes on, the Russound system comes on, and you can control the volume and change channels via IR. The video feed is already live from the HD distribution system. But a labelmaker and label each remote by room. More voice of experience.

You may want to use other sources like CD changers (I had three daisy chained together for years before I went digital). Even an old receiver will work....and you can control it via IR remote from any room.

If your head hasn't exploded yet.....let me know if you need anything else.

Have fun!! It's a cool system!
Steve LeBlanc likes this.

post #36 of 37 Old 08-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtart View Post
Hi fsfst and welcome to the forum!<br><br>
Pix were a great idea. You need a Russound CA6.4. controller..not a 6.4i. You will see them on ebay frequently in the $150 to $300 range. make sure that you get one that is stated to work perfectly so you can return it if it does not. Many on ebay have defective zone boards, and don't work properly. Make sure you can return it, or at least get a refund from eBay if it is defective.<br><br>
To hook it up: The wider, Cat-5 connectors come from the keypads in each room and plug into the top row of outputs on the CA6.4. The other connectors go to the speaker outputs (bottom row) on the CA6.4 controller. The easiest way to figure out which keypad connector goes with which speaker connector is simply to plug in a keypad connector and then a speaker connector right under it. Walk through the house and find which speakers are playing. That's a pair...mark them so you will remember that they go together. Repeat....<br><br>
Now you have the keypads and the speakers sorted out and connected. The next step is to set up sources so you have something to listen to. The inputs (RCA plugs) are labeled CD, Tuner, Tape, etc... I forget what exactly. You can use any source you want in any input here. The keypads can be programmed to show any of a number of labels. Just push the source button for a few seconds and then scroll to the label you want. When choosing source devices, remember, the keypad will transmit IR remotes signals through the controller and out to the device using IR flashers (the 1/8" plugs on the back). This means you can control the CD player, dvd, tuner, cable box, etc. from each room. Very cool!<br><br>
Here's how my sources are configured. I have three CA series controllers and have 16 zones in my home. I run four sources: an AM tuner, FM/HD Radio tuner, cable box/DSS and a PC for digital tunes.<br><br>
A few years ago I decided I wanted HDTV's in each room of the house. I use a component cable HDTV distribution system to transmit HDTV video over three RG6 cables for each room. The cable box in my utility closet (where the Russound gear, etc. lives) can be controlled via the Russound IR repeat function from any room. The audio portion is transmitted via the Russound WH system. I simply run the audio out RCA's into the Russound zone for DSS. Sound comes out over the Russound speakers while video comes via the HD video distribution system. Why component and not HDMI? Lots of handshake issues, etc., etc. ,etc. make it a nightmare. On my sub-48" HDTVs in secondary rooms like a bedroom or master bath, the 1080i via component looks fine. The rooms with lots of viewing have dedicated cable boxes, BD players, AVRs, speakers, etc. and ARE connected via HDMI. And there is the dedicated theater downstairs, which is another story .....<br><br>
I run Foobar 2000on the PC to do media playback and have a Steamzap IR remote dongle to control playback functions. However, I usually just use a netbook and remote desktop connection to control the music server PC. I'm looking at apps to do this on an android or tablet, but just haven't done it yet. I have a USB DAC (Behringer, about $50) but you can use the standard 1/8" output and use a 1/8" to 2xRCA cable if you like to plug into the Russound CA6.4.<br><br>
Using the AM and HDRadio tuners is pretty straightforward. They are IR remote controllable models, and the flashers send the commands. I set the AM tuner to a news talk station and the HDRadio tuner to a rock station. I rarely change the station, but could.<br><br>
BTW, I use Logitech Harmony remotes to control all the gear in each room. You don't need the Russound specific remotes, although they work if you have them. Logitech has the codes built in for Russound and any of their universal remotes will work. I use SS-659's, cause they were relatively cheap when I bought them and work fine. I have nearly 20 at last count. Make sure to do a unique ID when you program them online. Write it down!!! Save it!! Voice of experience here :-) I have flat panel TVs everywhere, and the room remote is programmed to control the specific TV and the volume for the Russound system for the room. Each room remote is programmed to control the radio tuners, cable box and music PC. Go in the guest bedroom, pick up a Harmony, push 'Watch TV' ad the TV comes on, the Russound system comes on, and you can control the volume and change channels via IR. The video feed is already live from the HD distribution system. But a labelmaker and label each remote by room. More voice of experience.<br><br>
You may want to use other sources like CD changers (I had three daisy chained together for years before I went digital). Even an old receiver will work....and you can control it via IR remote from any room.<br><br>
If your head hasn't exploded yet.....let me know if you need anything else.<br><br>
Have fun!! It's a cool system!
I finally found a russound ca 6.4 on ebay and the seller claimed it's pulled from a working system, but when i set it up it seems the keypads communicate with the controller just fine. the key pads can power on and I can select different sources and change volume the light on the controller will turn green. but there is no sound coming out of speakers. I tried different source input and still no luck. is it possible the output from controller to the connectors are bad? or the speakers are bad? do those speakers need power? I just don't know if I set it up correctly. don't want to return something that it turns out it works. these controllers are hard to find on ebay.

I noticed on the key pad the source has 4 selections: tape, cd, tuner and dss
on the controller it has tape, cd, tuner and aux

not sure if that makes any difference.

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
post #37 of 37 Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Hi fstst,

Welcome to the forum!

It looks like (by default) I'm the Russound guy here, so I'll take a whack at your question.

I would suggest checking out each channel, since the unit is configured with separate amps for each zone. For example, zone 1 amp may be bad while zones 2-5 work fine. I have a 4 channel unit with three good channels.

Here's how I would proceed:

Make sure your source is actually outputting sound. Maybe use an MP3 player with a mini-to-RCA Y connector. Try all four inputs. (BTW, the labels on the keypads can be changed by pushing and holding the input button, then scrolling through to choose the one you like. Also, the manual for this unit is on Russound's website. Seems like you have to look in old products section, and then create a User ID. Simple to do. If you can't find it, I think I have a pdf copy I can send to you.)

Make sure you have the correct connectors for the speaker outputs. And that they are plugged in all the way. They can be a little finicky at times. There tiny plastic locks that can get bent and cause poor connections.

Ensure the keypads are wired correctly. There are lots of tiny conductors, and it's easy to miss-wire or have a short. (I'll bet this is the problem if the unit is not bad.)

Try another keypad. They DO sometimes fail.

After all this, I would be comfortable that the unit is bad. Most common failures are input boards, then amps.

They do show up on eBay on occasion, but they are getting older and older. I have three 6.4's and a couple 4.4's. If they die I'd look hard at a newer 6.6.

Good luck! Please keep us posted on what you find!

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page