Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2002, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello

I need to run 2 digital audio signals from dvd and stb to my reciver about 15-25 feet away. My reciver only has one coax digital input and i am sure the length of the run will rule out the optical input on the reciver. So here is my two part question.....is that length of a run going to cause problems if i use the coax and part 2....is there a switcher i could use to switch between the two digital sources....i thought of just an a/b video switch, but i dont know if that would work (by it not being 75ohm)....any ideas??

Thanks

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2002, 08:34 PM

Liked: 10
Why are you sure that the length will rule out the optical cable? You can get an optical cable up to 30 feet long premade if you can find one, or longer if you have one custom made. Most retail stores will stock up to about 15 feet. You will not encounter any line loss or signal degradation with length. The only downside is an optical cable is more expensive than coaxial. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

This might solve your problem, assuming your preamp/receiver has free optical inputs. ParstExpress has a "coax to optical" converter (here's the link directly to the part) for $15. Just in case my link doesn't work, the part # is 180-960. So, you can run coax from the source, convert it at the receiving end and connect a short optical cable. I disagree with the above post. There is a noticeable difference between optical and coax, especially on long runs. Optical cables (compared with good 75 Ohm coax) are more susceptible to reflections and jitter, degrading the sound. However, I don't know that my solution improves the jitter problem (my guess is that the converter will introduce some jitter in the conversion, but I've never used one) - it simply makes it easier for you to run the lengths you need without an external A/B switch.

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
post #4 of 11 Old 04-01-2002, 09:40 PM

With cable length this long? As long as you have your hand on 75ohm connectors, you'll be fine. I sometimes have to try this unconventional way, by setting source component away from pre-pro ... so I do not have to remove the original source components off the AV rack.

Be sure you are using shielded video cable (RG59 or RG6).

Optical cable actually will need a signal booster device (lament term) after a certain distance (Bell guy in family).

If you decide go for custom made or premade, prepare to open you wallet. Plz disregard if money is no subect to you.
You should invest on a decent set of crimping tools; you might find it very handy if you are a frequent visitor here.

Find out how it would cost you custom vs premade. I'd like to have it made for you if you are willing to try this method. As long as you are covers the cost of materials and shipping.

On the splitter issue, try this site www.digitalconnection.com
As you've mentioned, there is only one (1) coax input on your receiver. In my opinion, I would rather to invest into a new receiver has two or more coax input than a splitter module. Which might as well cost you somewhere $150.00 - $200.00 for an additional input.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-03-2002, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the input, i am planning on upgrading to a newer reciver, but i would like to be able to use the one i have untill then.....the coax to otical converter sounds good.....as my reciver has one of each type of input, but the expected costs of an optical cable that long was the ruling out factor, but i already have a short optical cable so all i would need is the converter and the coax......i have thought about making my own cable, just not for sure what to use, where to buy, and what is the best crimping tool to use....any help here would also be appreciated......
thanks

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2002, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

I just recently started making my own cables using Canare coax cable and RCA crimp connectors from Markertek. I got all the info from Chris White's 'how to' page. The tools are somewhat expensive for one job, but a worthwhile investment if you plan on buying a lot of cables (as I am/do). For coax digital, the cable I made (costing about $10 in materials excluding the tools) beats the heck out of any digital coax I've tried (Monster and MIT). I could definitely hear the difference. The great thing about the Canare cables from Chris's web site is that they are true 75 Ohm cables and connectors.

If you're in a real bind, I'm willing to make you a cable for only a few bucks above my cost. But, I don't do this for a business. E-mail me if you like at JasonATL@atlantadtv.org.

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2002, 05:23 PM

Ther's a little high tech co. in La Honda, CA ( S.F. Bay area) that makes a device called the "Digital Director". What it is, is a 6 input digital switcher. Each input supports either Toslink or coax, and it outputs either Toslink or coax. So it will convert formats to either/or. But it also has reclocking circuits to reduce jitter. Only $399. www.msbtech.com
post #8 of 11 Old 04-04-2002, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jason thanks for the info and the offer.......i do believe i will try as you to make my own cables.....if you dont mind, could you tell me which items from Chris Whites site that you are using?? I would be very thankful.....if you dont wish to post you could also email at allen8004@bscn.com or allen8004@hotmail.com

Thanks
dirk

post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2002, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'll post here -- that way everyone can keep me honest (i.e., give their opinions as to where I'm right or wrong, which is how I learn).

For video and digital coax cables, I use the Canare L-5CFB coax and the according RCA connectors (RCAP-C5F). This requires the use of both the stripper on his site and the crimper and die set. For the interconnects, I use stranded RG6 LV-77S Coax cable and matching RCA connectors. Same stripper and dies. Chris actually recommends the stranded for the digital coax cable. But, I use the solid core. That is the basics of what you need. I also use some heat shrink tubing, but that is for cable ID rather than anything that affects performance. Again, I've ordered multiple times from Markertek and have been pleased with the price and service. It usually takes about a week to receive the items.

-Jason
Theater L'Idiot RIP
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2002, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can either one or both of the cables be used for OTA and DBS runs from the antenna/satellite dish?? Which one would be the best for that application??

post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2002, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the digital audio of an UltimateTV in a different room connected using normal RG-6 cable with F to RCA adapters (approx. 35' run). I have another UTV unit with the rest of my equipment connected with a 6' optical AR Pro cable. To me the sound quality of Dolby Digital and stereo audio sound exactly the same between the 2 UTV units. You can "make" a digital coax cable in this fashion with no tools and proably costs less than $10. You may want to try this and see for your self. You may be pleasantly suprised.

Jay
Closed Thread Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page