Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

I agree and this is a huge setback I think in their design. This is a deal killer for and I really like their product. For those installs where you have a clean line of sight to their keypad its a great product but when you run into the scenario I have up above AND you are not using an external amp, you run into problems.

Originally you stated you wanted to control a keypad behind you while on the couch. What sort of distance is present there from the couch to the front wall to the back wall where the keypad would be?

I just did some various testing around my home and was able to point the remote at opposite walls in my office, kitchen and master bath and still control the keypad. In the office I put the remote next to the keypad against the wall and pointed it at the opposite wall which is about 10.5 ft away. So the signaled traveled just over 20 feet no problem without pointing it directly at the eye. I even moved it five feet or so down the wall away from the keypad to be at an angle and it still worked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwolf View Post

I am glad i stumbled upon this thread today. I am currently wiring for in home audio with our remodel and will have between 4 and six zones. I was going to go with the Russound CAV 6.6,but I don't have any need for the vidoe really as we only have two TV's and don't watch them much. So it looks like the Lync 6 with the DMA-1275 just moved to the top of the list. It seems pretty simple and straight forward and I also like the 3.5mm jack in each room for separate inputs.

My only real concern is I have not heard of HTD, how is their qaulity? Anyone have long term expeirence with the basic or mid-level? One thing I do like is it seems like their customer support is pretty good which can always be a plus when dealing with electronics.

Berwolf, I wouldn't have any "quality" concerns with HTD's products. I have had six of their HD-R80 speakers for over 6 yrs, the A-2050 Stereo Amplifier to power a subwoofer for about 5 yrs. And I expect I'll be enjoying the Lync 6 system for many years to come with the additional seven speakers I purchased. Also, I just ordered a pair of HD-R65AIM High Definition In-Ceiling Speakers for another zone I added.

Also, give some thought to whether you really need the additional power of the DMA-1275. I'm using the DMA-1240 and it's quite adequate for $500 less than the DMA-1275 to power all six zones.
post #33 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojorisin247 View Post

Originally you stated you wanted to control a keypad behind you while on the couch. What sort of distance is present there from the couch to the front wall to the back wall where the keypad would be?

I just did some various testing around my home and was able to point the remote at opposite walls in my office, kitchen and master bath and still control the keypad. In the office I put the remote next to the keypad against the wall and pointed it at the opposite wall which is about 10.5 ft away. So the signaled traveled just over 20 feet no problem without pointing it directly at the eye. I even moved it five feet or so down the wall away from the keypad to be at an angle and it still worked.

thanks for testing it...this may sway my decision but im still worried about this.
post #34 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

If you are looking to control all the Lync Volumes and you have a PC hooked up for your MP3 files, just permanently attach it via the RS 232 cable to the Lync. That way you can use any PC and/or a smart phone to control the PC via a wireless network connection. This is accomplished with a freeware called Go to my PC.
post #35 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojorisin247 View Post

Berwolf, I wouldn't have any "quality" concerns with HTD's products. I have had six of their HD-R80 speakers for over 6 yrs, the A-2050 Stereo Amplifier to power a subwoofer for about 5 yrs. And I expect I'll be enjoying the Lync 6 system for many years to come with the additional seven speakers I purchased. Also, I just ordered a pair of HD-R65AIM High Definition In-Ceiling Speakers for another zone I added.

Also, give some thought to whether you really need the additional power of the DMA-1275. I'm using the DMA-1240 and it's quite adequate for $500 less than the DMA-1275 to power all six zones.

mrmojorisin thanks for the feedback. After reading your feedback, all the reviews on their website, seeing the pricing and the 30 day money back guarantee it almost seems to good to be true. But judging by the feedback they must just have a good product.

I inherited my setup when my father in-law did a renovation. My set-up consists of a pair of speakercraft aim 8-5's, aim 8-3's, KEF CI-200, CI-160 and a Triad silver in wall sub and amp. These were previously powered by a Crestron 12x60 watt amp and sounded amazing. So knowing what they are capable at this power level I have committed to an amp of at least 60 watts per channel. I will be posting the build in the future just haven't had to much time being in the middle of it.
post #36 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berwolf View Post

mrmojorisin thanks for the feedback. After reading your feedback, all the reviews on their website, seeing the pricing and the 30 day money back guarantee it also seems to good to be true. But judging by the feedback they must just have a good product.

I inherited my setup when my father in-law did a renovation. My set-up consists of a pair of speakercraft aim 8-5's, aim 8-3's, KEF CI-200, CI-160 and a Triad silver in wall sub and amp. These were previously powered by a Crestron 12x60 watt amp and sounded amazing. So knowing what they are capable at this power level I have committed to an amp of at least 60 watts per channel. I will be posting the build in the future just haven't had to much time being in the middle of it.

From what I have read on message boards, HTD is VERY good and has really good customer service. I would not hesistate to buy from them if it suits my needs.
post #37 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

From what I have read on message boards, HTD is VERY good and has really good customer service. I would not hesistate to buy from them if it suits my needs.

After reading mrmojorisin's mini review about the system and the issues I was pretty sure this was the system for me. A company that is willing to stand behind their product and send out new components to help solve the issue is a huge selling point. It is also nice they are geared to the DIY crowd. I understand there is a need for dealers and installers, but there are a lot of people who don't want to spend $5,000+ on the system, programming, then troubleshooting, etc.
post #38 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree and this is a huge setback I think in their design. This is a deal killer for and I really like their product. For those installs where you have a clean line of sight to their keypad its a great product but when you run into the scenario I have up above AND you are not using an external amp, you run into problems.

mrted, maybe I am misunderstanding your requirements, but it seems like they do sell products that would do what you want. What you seem to need is simply an IR extender for the keypads.

http://www.htd.com/Products/IR-Distribution/IR-RX2-T

This module plugs into the back of a keypad, you could then run it through the walls to a location of your choice. The user manual also seems to indicate one that fits into a standard single-gang wall plate (IR-RX2-IW) but I do not see it for sale. This module would then pass IR commands to the keypad that would control both the HTD equipment and the global IR output.

Anthony
post #39 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post

mrted, maybe I am misunderstanding your requirements, but it seems like they do sell products that would do what you want. What you seem to need is simply an IR extender for the keypads.

http://www.htd.com/Products/IR-Distribution/IR-RX2-T

This module plugs into the back of a keypad, you could then run it through the walls to a location of your choice. The user manual also seems to indicate one that fits into a standard single-gang wall plate (IR-RX2-IW) but I do not see it for sale. This module would then pass IR commands to the keypad that would control both the HTD equipment and the global IR output.

If I understand this correctly, this will send all IR signals to any component you want but will not be able to control the actual keypad, where you can control the variable volume for that particular zone. The only way to accomplish this (I think), is to install a IR receiver in front of me and run the blaster to the keypad, but this will not look good as the blaster would be attached to the keypad.

ETA: As someone mentioned above, I can daisy chain keypads and put one by the TV (in front of me) but I do not want a keypad there as it does not look discrete.
post #40 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

As I promised I would like to add my review of this product as well. Sorry for the delay - Things have been crazy at work lately and I went to PAX East this weekend, so that was also crazy

A summary - I love this system! Everything is working very well for me and I have had no technical problems with it. I went with the lower-power DMA-1240 amplifier and it still has plenty of juice to drive my speakers. I am using pairs of Monoprice 4103 6.5" in-ceiling speakers everywhere except the master bath, where I have a single Monoprice 4619 6.5" dual voice-coil in-ceiling speaker. I also have a pair of JBL outdoor speakers ready for the deck but the weather has been too crappy lately to install them.

I have been using the built-in mp3 player primarily so far until I can hook up more sources. The sound quality is quite good and it is very cool to be able to see the currently playing track on the keypad. I am using an old 2GB drive about half full of songs and it has handled everything as expected with no glitches.

I have also tried plugging in iPods/iPhones to the keypads, that is a very cool feature. They are then selectable everywhere else in the system just as advertised. Sound quality here is good as well.

The keypads themselves are pretty nice looking and perform well. The rubber buttons light up when you press one and stay lit for a few seconds afterwards. You can set the display brightness separately for when the pad is in use and when it is idle. Also, you can customize the display colors! You can choose from maybe 8-10 colors for both font and background. This usefulness of this is debatable as white-on-black is certainly the most readable but it's cool nonetheless. White-on-blue and green-on-black also work well. My wife changed the master bedroom one to have purple text on a sky blue background - this of course looks terrible, but hey, anything to increase the WAF, right?

However, I do have a couple complaints. First, and most disappointingly, there is no option to shuffle songs on the built-in mp3 player! It just plays all the songs on the USB stick one after the other in alphabetical order by file name. You can tell it to repeat, but no shuffle. This annoyed me to no end while setting up and testing the system... you have to power cycle the controller if you unplug and replug any keypads, and then the mp3 player starts over from the beginning. I got quite sick of the first 5 songs on my USB stick. :P I will just write a script that will put a random number at the beginning of each mp3 file name so I can get a different shuffle order whenever I update the files, but still - shuffle is a pretty basic function these days and they should have included it.

Second complaint, the keypads DO correctly parse ID3 tags for the artist name but for some reason it tacks on ".mp3" to every song title... weird. You can see this in the picture I posted earlier.

Third and final complaint - the intercom only works when a zone is turned on. If a zone is not on you are unable to page it. You can turn on all zones from any keypad using the "Party Mode" feature, but that's not really the desired operation for me. The intercom was one of the big reasons I chose this system and this may limit its usefulness. We may end up just leaving certain zones on 24/7, however, that will mean the amplifier is also powered on 24/7, so... I dunno. A bit disappointed there.

One other thing, and this is my fault, not HTD's, but I should note it to save someone else some hassle. Be very careful when you cut out the holes for the double-gang keypads, especially if you are like me and you cut holes for them of existing single-gang holes, On 4 out of my 5 keypad locations I cut the holes just slightly too big for the old-work bracket and the face plates do not cover up very much margin. I have some drywall patching and painting in my future.

I will try to post some more pics of the installed keypads and controller hardware in the next couple days.

Anthony
post #41 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I understand this correctly, this will send all IR signals to any component you want but will not be able to control the actual keypad, where you can control the variable volume for that particular zone. The only way to accomplish this (I think), is to install a IR receiver in front of me and run the blaster to the keypad, but this will not look good as the blaster would be attached to the keypad.

Oh, I apologize, it appears you are correct. Sorry, I misinterpreted the manual. There is another unused connector on the back of the keypads so I assumed that was what it was for.

Anthony
post #42 of 64 Old 03-16-2011, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post

Oh, I apologize, it appears you are correct. Sorry, I misinterpreted the manual. There is another unused connector on the back of the keypads so I assumed that was what it was for.

No need to appologize, I was hoping I was wrong.

Thanks for your detailed review! Very informative. That is a major flaw about the intercom feature.
post #43 of 64 Old 03-17-2011, 08:02 AM

Ok, here is what I have found that may solve your issue. irule via irule builder has the ability to build custom commands. This might be the solution that enables the control of the whole HTD system remotely using an Iphone/ Ipad / Ipod. I have not tried it, But I did talk to a rep who said that if the system is contollable via RS 232, the irule builder will allow you to create the functions to control the system.
post #44 of 64 Old 03-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:

The only way to accomplish this (I think), is to install a IR receiver in front of me and run the blaster to the keypad, but this will not look good as the blaster would be attached to the keypad.

I suppose you could just put the blaster next to the IR receiver and blast it back at your face (and keypad behind you).

Or else, since the keypads can be daisy chained, maybe HTD uses a dedicated wire in the cat5 for the IR, that you can connect an IR receiver to.
post #45 of 64 Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes778 View Post

maybe HTD uses a dedicated wire in the cat5 for the IR, that you can connect an IR receiver to.

I didnt think of that! If I have time I will call them and ask them.
post #46 of 64 Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 AM

Good news

The Lync 12 controller is shipping today. Being in Canada I should receive it around April 3rd or so. As soon as I get it, I will setup, take pictures and post a review.

Stay tuned.
post #47 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post

Good news

The Lync 12 controller is shipping today. Being in Canada I should receive it around April 3rd or so. As soon as I get it, I will setup, take pictures and post a review.

Stay tuned.

Any update? I'm itching to pull the trigger but I'd like to read a few more reviews on this system.
post #48 of 64 Old 08-23-2011, 05:34 PM

This is installed and working very well. One trick I learned for the intercom, you can turn all the zones on by selecting an inactive source and using "party mode". This turns all zones on and you can speak to any zone.

I am also using the IR functions for my video distribution using a 4 x 4 matirx with 4 identical 52 inch 1080 P Tvs. works very well and the sound is amazing!
post #49 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 02:49 PM

Hi all,
I've just read this whole thread as i have been looking into htd and lots of other WHA options.

my Q's revolve around how do you browse your music library and control the zones.I'd rather use an ipad/iphone/android to select music and control zones.

1. If I'm using itunes, I can use Itunes remote on an iphone and select my music, but how do you control the zones. (It seems the only way to control zones is with the HTD software on the PC which is connected via RS232 to the controller)

2. If using another media player on the PC (eg Jriver), are you reliant on an itunes-like app as well? and if it doesn't exist do you have to use home automation software?

3. If you use the keypads(which I'd rather not), how do you browse your music library with them.

thanks

Capall
post #50 of 64 Old 08-24-2011, 06:58 PM

Hi there,

This is the setup I have:
One of my zones is a PC on which I havs Itunes setup and I have installed the HTD control software which is connected to the Lync controller via a RS232 wire.

From my Ipad & Iphone I can control the music selection using Itunes remote app using my home wireless network connected to my itunes app on the PC.

I can control all the zones from My Iphone using "Go to my PC". There are also other options out there including "Logmein", but that I have not tried them yet.

I very seldomly use the Lync pad controllers. I have purchased the HTD remote controls and I have 2 on every floor + 1 in every room.

If you are asking about how to control the HTD "internal" MP3 player, I personally don't think it is a very useful function as it can only be used with a 2Gb USB key (2 Gb being maximum size). To browse, you must select the MP3 menu and move up & down the different folders and there are buttons on the keypads and remotes to change songs stop, play & pause the music. There are no buttons to use on the remote controls for browsing the different folders.

To the best of my knowledge, you cannot integrate the HTD software with Home automation applications (such as HAI). This would require programming which I am not very handy with.
post #51 of 64 Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM

thanks canuck

So you have your PC always set as one zone and use ipad/phone apps to browse music, correct?

For other zones you use gotomypc, to access the HTD controller software on your PC to select the zones and then navigate back to the itunes app to browse music. correct?

if yes, is their any latency or log out issues with using go to my pc, ..how's the ease of use?

HA s/w, I believe you can integrate the HTD RS232 commands in their media player software, such as CQC and mainlobby, but I need more info on this.

Thanks
derek

Capall
post #52 of 64 Old 08-25-2011, 11:53 AM

should say this also,
My preference is music on a PC controlled via tablet/phone.
Not interested in mp3 function or keypads, or at least the keypads would compliment the tablet/phone usage.

However, if you use the keypads, how do you browse your music, or can you?

thanks

Capall
post #53 of 64 Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Yes that is correct, my PC is connected as a source to my HTD Lync controller.

For the zones, I use "Go to my PC" using my iphone (The HTD software is always up & running on my laptop) and I can control all the zones.

Go to my PC is a very simple solution to use. You download the free app for both the PC and the Iphone/Ipad. Once both are installed on the same wireless network, you start the Go to my PC app on the PC and the Iphone will automatically detect it. Once it is detected, you may connect and it is very easy to control your PC from your Iphone. However there is a 3-5 second connection time. That's why I only use it to control all the zones at once for "party mode". My preferred mode of controlling each zone is with the HTD remotes.

I
post #54 of 64 Old 08-25-2011, 04:22 PM

thanks canuck_fr

if using your keypads and no tablet/iphone itunes app or similar, can you browse your music from the keypad.

From my understanding you would have to select the music on the PC and send to all zones (or a zone of choice) then go to a zone and select that zone using the keypad or IR remote to the keypad and only be able to listen to the music you previous selected at the PC, correct?

derek

Capall
post #55 of 64 Old 08-26-2011, 06:14 AM

Hi Derek

Keypads don't realy allow for browsing music. They are fairly useless at that.

I use my PC connected as one of the sources. In each zone, I grab the remote and turn un that zone. Once it is on I choose my source, still using the remote. Once it is running in that zone, I grab my iphone and browse my music to choose the music I want to listen to. Then If I want to go to party mode, I can use the HTD remote to select party mode. That turns on all zones with the same source as the one I was listening to. If I want to change the volume of all zones, without going to each zone, I will go to my iphone, and select my PC (wait 3-5 seconds) and I use the HTD app to control the volume in all zones (thats realy the only function you cannot do with the remote and/or lync pad).
post #56 of 64 Old 08-26-2011, 10:31 AM

thanks a lot, makes sense now.

Capall
post #57 of 64 Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 AM

As we all know, one of the draw-backs to the HTD systems is their ability to control all zones at once. There is a new product available: HTDNET-MC : http://www.htd.com/Products/wholehou...ries/HTDNET-MC. It allows to control your Lync system using any networked device, PC, Smart phone etc...

It is available for the mid systems and should be available in February for the Lync systems. This is great news for me. Can't wait to put my hands on one.
post #58 of 64 Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM

thanks for the update, Not sure I really see this as being a big step up though.

Help me understand, is this a typical usage scenario?
The HTD controller needs wired-connected sources, typically a PC connected via an audio cable, (Ipods can be other sources also physical wired).

The current HTD controller s/w is then installed on that PC which is also connected via RS232 to the controller. The software can now be used to control sources, zones and volume via the RS232 to the controller.
This can be done directly on the PC or via remote desktop (eg logmein).

Then, for music selection, for say iTunes, you would use iTunes either on the PC (either at the computer or via remote desktop) or via a phone/tablet app such as "remote for itunes", or by holding the ipod in your hand and browsing your music.

Main disadv here is that you need two interfaces for music control, one for track selection and another for source/zone/volume control.

It seems that this new software is an improved UI, such that you can now access the PC which is connected via RS232 to the controller via any pc/tablet/phone through its browser instead of Remote desktop or directly at the PC.
But you still have to access itunes (or which ever music playback software you're using to select actual tracks)

So only real adv is an updated UI via a browser over wifi vs previous UI via RDP over wifi, which might make connection seem a bit more streamlined and faster.

please correct me if I'm way off base
thanks

Capall
post #59 of 64 Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by capaill View Post

thanks for the update, Not sure I really see this as being a big step up though.

I do. It basically takes an IR system and upgrades it to built-in IP control....a huge benefit for those of us who want to programatically control their whole-home audio/video without the wiring/reliability issues introduced by IR. Also does away with leaving a PC running for simple control functionality....

You could control it wirelessly before (iTach, etc), but this will be much cleaner... Or at least it should be....I'm anxiously awaiting the Lync version...
post #60 of 64 Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM

Ok, I see that as a good advantage alright.

When you are using IR, I assume you're using the keypads, and if so how do you select what music to play. It my understanding that the keypads only allow for volume and source selection to the room that the keypad is installed.

from your comment "Also does away with leaving a PC running for simple control functionality....", in this case are you using an Ipod as the source then?

Thanks
derek

Capall
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page