New HTD Lync Whole-House Audio System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 64 Old 12-09-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, I haven't seen any threads yet specifically discussing the new Lync system by HTD. This replaces their old Advanced system.

http://www.htd.com/Products/Lync

I am strongly considering getting this system for my new house. We finished construction in January and I was planning to pick up the Advanced system after a while, but when I called HTD to discuss it they told me to wait for their new system to come out. It took a while, but according to their website it is now shipping! Has anyone placed an order, or better yet, received one? Actual pictures and impressions/reviews of the new double-gang control panels would be awesome.

Funny story, I pre-wired the house with the specific intent of getting the HTD advanced system, which used single-gang control panels. So I have five single-gang boxes positioned throughout the house all ready to go, but now they have moved to this new system that uses double-gang panels. Looks like I will have to cut out the old boxes and put in doubles... oh well.

Update: See my review on page 2 of this thread!

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 12-10-2010, 02:23 PM

I'll probably be putting this in my new home as well.

It's got so many great features like whole house intercom and doorbell. Price is great too.

David
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2002! Whoop!
post #3 of 64 Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, still no reviews of this product on AVS Forum or elsewhere. I talked to HTD one last time yesterday and I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I will try and post a full review of the system with pictures once it arrives. It is currently backordered until February 28th.

If someone else here HAS bought this system recently - please let us know your impressions!

Anthony
post #4 of 64 Old 02-24-2011, 08:36 PM

i am so torn between this system and a full sonos setup. My electrician will be done tomorrow on our new house and i have the weekend to run "whatever" i decide to run.
I love the intercom feature (2 story house with 4 kids) on the HTD setup.
But also like the ability to use my droids/ipods as volume controls for the sonos.
help!!!
post #5 of 64 Old 02-24-2011, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamneon View Post

i am so torn between this system and a full sonos setup. My electrician will be done tomorrow on our new house and i have the weekend to run "whatever" i decide to run.
I love the intercom feature (2 story house with 4 kids) on the HTD setup.
But also like the ability to use my droids/ipods as volume controls for the sonos.
help!!!

Home run the speaker wire, loop it through a keypad location in the zone, and add a cat5e cable in parallel to each keypad location. That will set you up for using most any of the whole house audio systems (with in-wall/ceiling speakers).

If you're not sure that you'll use the keypads or volume control locations, just bury the cable behind the drywall, loop some slack, record the location with photographs and measurements, and you won't even have to look at "blank plates" while you decide...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 64 Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM

besides the cost of wiring, would it be dumb to run all 16/2 speakers to media closet to amp, and leave sonos zp90s in each room and also run the output of them to the media closet to tie back in?
Also, can i use imp. matching local volume controls in each room since ill be wired?
post #7 of 64 Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Regarding Sonos and HTD: I plan to just add one Sonos ZonePlayer 90 in my utility room hooked up to the HTD system as a source. That way I can use it to play all my music on my computer as well as internet radio using iPhones and iPads. That will probably be the primary source we will be listening to. I would just go all Sonos, but I like the HTD keypads, and especially want the intercom feature.

Quote:

besides the cost of wiring, would it be dumb to run all 16/2 speakers to media closet to amp, and leave sonos zp90s in each room and also run the output of them to the media closet to tie back in?

This would certainly work but it does seem a bit expensive. I assume the reason you want the ZP90s in each room is so you can plug in a local source, right? Do you already have an amp in hand or in mind? As I understand it most people just buy a bunch of Sonos ZP120s and use them to power the zones instead of a separate amp. Then you wouldn't have to home run anything, just slap a ZP120 in each room and you get a local source and power for the zone, and they all connect wirelessly. However, if you already have the amp, then I think your solution makes sense.

Quote:

Also, can i use imp. matching local volume controls in each room since ill be wired?

I think you will be able to use impedance matching volume controls with this configuration, that should work fine.

Anthony
post #8 of 64 Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post

Then you wouldn't have to home run anything, just slap a ZP120 in each room and you get a local source and power for the zone, and they all connect wirelessly.

As Jeff mentioned though, it may be beneficial to home run everything and do a more "standard" setup so that you are compatible with just about any other whole-house audio system that you may want to switch to in the future. (i.e. Cat5/6 + 4-conductor speaker wire to each keypad, 2 2-conductor speaker wires from keypad to the ceiling speakers)

Anthony
post #9 of 64 Old 02-25-2011, 01:51 PM

This suggerstion applies to the new HTD system or any cat5e/6 intercom system

Add several runs of cat 5e/6 to various locations, where the keypad will be most convieent. A wall may not be the best location for a keypad that includes a microphone.

For esamp;e put a cat5e/6 drop behind the headboard in each bedroom then you can tether the keypad to a nightstand or table on either side of the bed.
Make sure you put one very close to the big screen so when the beer and popcrn run out:.Honey will you bring us more popcorn and beer thanks..(That when the fight started)

For our home, ihis type of setup would have been very convenient. (health and elderly parents issues) on several occasions .
Note: Requires a decorative box to house the keypad.
post #10 of 64 Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 AM

ok...screw it...im goin with the HTD system instead of a full blown sonos system. Ill just add a z90 as a source lol

quick question about the HTC Lync system.
Instead of using a plain volume control for a subzone, if i order a second keypad and run it off the rj45 jack from the keypad in the main zone, will the intercom still mirror the room zone like the music?
(im thinking intercom usage in the master bath attached as a subzone to the master br)
post #11 of 64 Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

That question is probably better for HTD to answer, but the owner's manual seems to indicate that you can daisy-chain multiple LyncPads and they will all just be mirrors of each other:

"When more than one LyncPad is installed into the same zone, an adjustment to any one LyncPad will automatically be "mirrored" by the other LyncPads."

I do not have any sub-zones in my setup but I could probably do a quick test when I get my system.

It is Feb 28th today, and that is when the website says it will ship! I still have to cut out the single-gang boxes into double-gang, I better get started

Anthony
post #12 of 64 Old 02-28-2011, 02:28 PM

The Lync system looks very nice. Any thoughts on whether you could plug an external hard drive into the back of the controller instead of a memory stick? It would be much nicer to have access to all of my music. I wonder what the interface would be like for scrolling through thousands of songs. I read through the owners manual, but it doesn't really get into any detail on the mp3 playback feature. I'd love to hear a review when someone gets it all installed!

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
post #13 of 64 Old 03-01-2011, 05:52 PM

I have purchased the Lync 12 system with one MA 1235 and one MA 1265 amp. I have received the amps and the Lync kepads. I am waiting for the Lync 12 controller which will start shipping on March 15th.

I have installed the keypads and have been using the amp connected to my PC. I am using Apple's Itunes application that I can control over the wifi using my Iphone using "itune Remote" application. You can select songs, playlists, and change volume. and all the inwall speakers from Outdoor speaker depot.

The amps are absolutely great! I have actually tried the MA 1265 as a Home Theater setup and it is impressive. It is not as deep or as powerful as my HK Signature 2 but the soundstage was very impressive for this price and for a 12 channel amp.

I can't wait to receive & setup the Lync 12 controller!
post #14 of 64 Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post
I have purchased the Lync 12 system with one MA 1235 and one MA 1265 amp. I have received the amps and the Lync kepads. I am waiting for the Lync 12 controller which will start shipping on March 15th.
Thanks for your quick review of the amps! That's awesome, I didn't even know they were coming out with a 12-zone controller. I assume the keypads are just sitting unused for now since you don't have your controller yet, but at least we know the amps are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_the_man View Post
The Lync system looks very nice. Any thoughts on whether you could plug an external hard drive into the back of the controller instead of a memory stick? It would be much nicer to have access to all of my music. I wonder what the interface would be like for scrolling through thousands of songs. I read through the owners manual, but it doesn't really get into any detail on the mp3 playback feature. I'd love to hear a review when someone gets it all installed!
I assume you could probably use a hard drive, but the interface seems to simply be a flat list, not even playlist support, so thousands of songs might be painful to navigate through. I do not plan on using the mp3 feature too much but I will definitely run some tests as part of my review.

I called HTD today to check on my order, apparently it is shipping today. Getting excited, it cannot come fast enough!

Anthony
post #15 of 64 Old 03-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midblue View Post
I assume you could probably use a hard drive, but the interface seems to simply be a flat list, not even playlist support, so thousands of songs might be painful to navigate through. I do not plan on using the mp3 feature too much but I will definitely run some tests as part of my review.

I called HTD today to check on my order, apparently it is shipping today. Getting excited, it cannot come fast enough!
I figured navigation would be painful with the MP3 support. Definitely let us know what you think when you receive it! I think the mid-level system still looks the most appealing to me.

Cheers,
Mike

Mike
post #16 of 64 Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 AM

In my opinion the best way of using an MP3 player is hooking up a PC as a source on the home system. That way you store the MP3s on Itunes and can control the Itune app remotely over your wifi using your smartphone app called "itunes remote". That way you have all the luxury of playlists and with all the MP3 stored on multiple PCs. You can even share multiple playlists from multiple PCs in the house by using "homeshare" on itunes to do so!

However, I am very curious to see how the MP3 player on the Lync pads stacks up.
post #17 of 64 Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 AM

Yes they are coming out with a Lync 12 - 12 zone controller. Version 1 is coming out in March and v2 is coming out in June. the V2 version will also include a doorbell option and a plug in phone option. That means that when the phone rings, it will mute the channels and ring on the speakers!. The same thing with the doorbell option. Using the intercom function, you will be able to answer someone at the door from any Lync keypad in the house. COOL!!!
post #18 of 64 Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM

my system should be here tomorrow, they are just now doing insulation in my house so i wont get to play with it for another month or 2

as far as my kitchen and front porch go:
i put a rotary impedance matching volume knob by the back door for the porch. and another one next to my keypad in the kitchen...
so the outdoor speakers stay off most of the time, but when we are grilling out we can have it louder and turn the kitchen down a notch.
post #19 of 64 Old 03-08-2011, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

My Lync 6 system finally came today! No time to get it set it up yet, only to receive the delivery and poke around a bit. I quickly plugged in a keypad just to see it light up, here is a preview:

Anthony
post #20 of 64 Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 PM

ya i got mine in the other day also...sheetrock coming next week so i still have some time b4 i get to play
post #21 of 64 Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM

Hello all,

I recently purchased and installed the Lnyc 6 system with DMA-1240 amp advanced system. I pre-wired my home several years ago when it was being built and just now adding this to the home.

I thought I would address a few of the questions that have appeared in the thread.

1. The Lync 6 built in MP3 player must use a memory stick and has a capacity of 8GB according to HTD. I called and asked. I've been using a 4GB tiny stick I purchased on clearance from Staples for $8 and it works well. Have it loaded with a few hundred songs right now about 400MB. But you can only scroll through the list forward or backward one song at a time. I plan on also hooking up a pc and use the audio output into the Lync as one of the sources to have access to the entire music library.

2. I was in the same boat as midblue and when I prewired the home installed mostly single gang boxes thinking they would just be volume controls or simple keypads. And now they came out with this system. So now had to swap out for double gang boxes in a finished home in four out of the six locations. I found a double box at Menards, called the "onebox" which has two screws mounted on the interior of the box for mounting to the stud. They work very well. Better than trying to use the ones with tabs against the drywall. My Rotozip came in handy for enlarging the hole and trimming precisely to fit. Removing the old single box was cumbersome at first until I used tin snips to cut off a portion of the top of the original box which include the mounting nail. I would first outline the front of the Onebox over the existing hole, cut the hole with the Rotozip, allowing me room to free the single box, then I would tilt the box forward so the top would protrude slightly out the hole. Then cut the front half top of the box off with the tin snips. This allowed me to not have to make an oversized hole and have a snug fit for the double-gang box.

3. The Global IR of the Lync is something I have had to overcome. The owner manual states you can control a max of 2 components with a dual emitter from the sngle global output jack. I have three I wanted to control, home theater receiver, Direct TV and Sony 400 disc DVD changer. I already had a wall mounted Decora IR in the family room for my home theater using a Buffalo Electronics block with four inputs. I kept that in the system by connecting six of the eight cat5 wires to the back of the receiving eye Decora wallplate. At the headend, three wires run to the Lync, then I used the other three connected back into the Buffalo Electronics block so they're essentialy joined together as one system sharing the same eye. I have a dual emitter plugged into the Global Output of the Lync to control my Home Theater receiver and Direct TV box. A single emitter is plugged into one the four outputs on the BE block. This allows me to continue using the Decora IR wall plate in the family room to control these components, but also I can control two of these components through the IR of any Lync keypad (the ones with the dual emitter). So, theoritically I could use four dual emitter into the the BE block for a total of 8 components plus the 2 for a dual emitter in the Lync for a total of ten.

4. When I first got the system up and running it all worked Great! The system was working just as it should from all the keypads and adding local sources from the keypads. For example, I plugged into the Direct tv box audio out in my office to the keypad with an Audio Y-cable (1/8" stereo male to dual RCA Male) from Radio Shack and turned on the source and I'm listening to the tv over the ceiling speaker. The MP3 worked as it should and I used a stereo cable connected to a "fixed" zone source on the Lync to an input on the Home Theater receiver, turned on that source and had all the speakers going with both systems.

5. Lync software - this is where the trouble began. Edit - I think I thought the trouble was caused by the software because I hooked up the IR right before or after doing the programming of the keypoads. I used a laptop to change the zone names and label the sources. Played with the memory settings and then somewhere along the lines of messing with it the keypads no longer responded. I could turn the system off or on however I chose and adjust settings, zones, source, etc... But, I could no longer control a keypad at the keypad, to adjust the volume when turned on by the software. Then when I turned them "all off" or individually I couldn't turn them on at the keypad either manually or with the remote. Long story short, HTD is sending me another controller expected to arrive tomorrow (Friday). They don't know what would cause the controller or the software to "lock out" the keypads. I'll be sending the original Lync back with the UPS driver when he arrives. HTD said they will definitely delve into the controller to see what is wrong.

(Update) New controller arrived on Friday, hooked everything back up the way it was and same problem. I called HTD and after some troubleshooting decided they would send me six more keypads. Then Saturday, the IR was no longer working right so I started to fiddle with it. When I unplugged the green IR connector on the back of the Lync I was able to turn on the Lync Pads. Then I discovered when I had the power supply for the connecting block plugged in the Lync Pads didn't work. So, there was the source of the problem. The way I had intially tried to circumvent the limited IR output capabilty of the Global IR. The way I describe above now works since editing my posts. I have everything functioning as it should except for the doorbell mute. Still working on that.

That's all for now, but I think it is a great system and value. I think HTD's speakers and amps are very good products. The six 8" HD round in-ceiling speakers I have had for about 6 years still sound great. The amp I use from HTD to power the in-wall sub works great. The new speakers I purchased for the Lync are five MP-S65 and a pair of HD-W80 rectangulars.
post #22 of 64 Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How does IR work on this? For example, in a room, if the keypad is behind the couch and one does not want to aim the remote behind him to control the keypad (volume) how does it work? I would want to aim it at an IR "eye" by the TV and be able to control everything. I do not see an IR connection on the keypad so a wire would have to run to the main unit as the IR main. I get how it would control every component except the volume on that particular zone. Is this possible with HTD?

Basically, using my IR equipment, how will I control the volume on the HTD controller on my particular zone.

If I am not being clear, please ask and I will try to clarify.
post #23 of 64 Old 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM

Hi Mrted46,

The IR in this system will be directed 2 ways:
1. There is an IR directed to the source being used
2. There are a possibility of using 2 x 2 global IRs for use on multiple equipment.

So essentially, when you select a source in any given room, you may control that source specifically using a remote pointed at the Keypad. If the keypad is behind you, you should use an IR repeater. There are a number of solutions out there for $50 or so.

The IR on the keypad allows you to use the HTD remote to control the multi-zone pre-amp from the Lync Controller also.

I hope this helps.

You can also always call HTD, there are great to deal with and will answer any questions you may have.
post #24 of 64 Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post

Hi Mrted46,

The IR in this system will be directed 2 ways:
1. There is an IR directed to the source being used
2. There are a possibility of using 2 x 2 global IRs for use on multiple equipment.

So essentially, when you select a source in any given room, you may control that source specifically using a remote pointed at the Keypad. If the keypad is behind you, you should use an IR repeater. There are a number of solutions out there for $50 or so.

The IR on the keypad allows you to use the HTD remote to control the multi-zone pre-amp from the Lync Controller also.

I hope this helps.

You can also always call HTD, there are great to deal with and will answer any questions you may have.

Where would I repeat the IR signal in order to be able to control the HTD equipment is what I am not understanding. I know I can setup a seperate IR system (not use HTD) and control all the other equipment but not sure how I can control the HTD equipment. Unless, I can repeat the signal to the actual keypad somehow (like russound system).

I will call them and ask, thanks for your help.
post #25 of 64 Old 03-14-2011, 02:30 PM

What I understand is that your Lync Keypad would not be in front of you, but behind you.

if the Lync Keypad is in the same room as you but behind you:
1. You can add another Lync Keypad that would be "daisy chained" to the one behind you
2. You can place a mirror in front of you if the Lync keypad is behind you and if the added distance is not too much for the remote signal strength.
3. You can purchase an IR-RF-IR repeater: ex: http://www.smarthome.com/8045I/IR-to...433-MHz/p.aspx

I hope this helps
post #26 of 64 Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrted46 View Post

How does IR work on this? For example, in a room, if the keypad is behind the couch and one does not want to aim the remote behind him to control the keypad (volume) how does it work? I would want to aim it at an IR "eye" by the TV and be able to control everything. I do not see an IR connection on the keypad so a wire would have to run to the main unit as the IR main. I get how it would control every component except the volume on that particular zone. Is this possible with HTD?

Basically, using my IR equipment, how will I control the volume on the HTD controller on my particular zone.

If I am not being clear, please ask and I will try to clarify.

mrted which speakers in your system are you trying to control the volume? My six family rm/kitchen speakers are all plugged into my home theater reciever which is controlled by a receiving eye in the wall. I have a Lync Keypad located in the kitchen behind a wall that's not visible from the couch, it's connected to two zones, dining room and foyer. But if I want to listen to that keypad in the family room, here's what I simply did. I connected a red/white composite cable from the "fixed" output for that zone to another input (Video 2) on my home theater receiver. I simply turn on the keypad, turn the volume all the way down on the keypad, but since the audio is also going through the receiver I can adjust the volume on the six speakers in the family rm/kitchen area independently.

But since I also have my main equipment attached to the global ir on the Lync and an emitter going to that equipment I can control the receiver and Direct TV box by pointing a remote at any of the six keypads.
post #27 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojorisin247 View Post

mrted which speakers in your system are you trying to control the volume? My six family rm/kitchen speakers are all plugged into my home theater reciever which is controlled by a receiving eye in the wall. I have a Lync Keypad located in the kitchen behind a wall that's not visible from the couch, it's connected to two zones, dining room and foyer. But if I want to listen to that keypad in the family room, here's what I simply did. I connected a red/white composite cable from the "fixed" output for that zone to another input (Video 2) on my home theater receiver. I simply turn on the keypad, turn the volume all the way down on the keypad, but since the audio is also going through the receiver I can adjust the volume on the six speakers in the family rm/kitchen area independently.

But since I also have my main equipment attached to the global ir on the Lync and an emitter going to that equipment I can control the receiver and Direct TV box by pointing a remote at any of the six keypads.

I can see how that would work since your speakers are being powered by a seperate receiver (that can accept a discrete IR), but what if your speakers are purely powered just by the HTD receiver? The global IR commands are for all zones, so I am not sure how that will work if I want to lower volume in 1 zone not the other 5.
post #28 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM

The global IR commands are not for the keypads or the Lync system, it's just whatever else you have hooked up.

The keypads can only be adjusted:
1. Manually at the keypad
2. Via their remote or a universal remote that's been taught the Lync remote commands
3. The Lync software on a PC/Laptop

You can turn on all the keypads to "Party mode" but can not adjust the another zones volume from that keypad. You can also turn them all off from a keypad.

One scenario could be to have a PC hooked up to the Lync. Remote into that PC from another PC in your home network either wired/wireless and run the Lync software and control the whole house sitting on your couch.
post #29 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM

I am glad i stumbled upon this thread today. I am currently wiring for in home audio with our remodel and will have between 4 and six zones. I was going to go with the Russound CAV 6.6,but I don't have any need for the vidoe really as we only have two TV's and don't watch them much. So it looks like the Lync 6 with the DMA-1275 just moved to the top of the list. It seems pretty simple and straight forward and I also like the 3.5mm jack in each room for separate inputs.

My only real concern is I have not heard of HTD, how is their qaulity? Anyone have long term expeirence with the basic or mid-level? One thing I do like is it seems like their customer support is pretty good which can always be a plus when dealing with electronics.
post #30 of 64 Old 03-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojorisin247 View Post

The global IR commands are not for the keypads or the Lync system, it's just whatever else you have hooked up.

The keypads can only be adjusted:
1. Manually at the keypad
2. Via their remote or a universal remote that's been taught the Lync remote commands
3. The Lync software on a PC/Laptop

You can turn on all the keypads to "Party mode" but can not adjust the another zones volume from that keypad. You can also turn them all off from a keypad.

One scenario could be to have a PC hooked up to the Lync. Remote into that PC from another PC in your home network either wired/wireless and run the Lync software and control the whole house sitting on your couch.

I agree and this is a huge setback I think in their design. This is a deal killer for and I really like their product. For those installs where you have a clean line of sight to their keypad its a great product but when you run into the scenario I have up above AND you are not using an external amp, you run into problems.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page