Help with Selecting a Sensitive IR Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have almost completed my whole home audio video distribution. I am hopeful that someone with IR distribution experience can lend a hand.

The Great Room has a wall mounted plasma with in wall speakers. Matrix switch, AV receiver, and other gear is downstairs. The Atlantic Technology in-walls have a cutout for a IR receiver. I purchased a Speakercraft IRC-1.1 and ran CAT-5e to the connecting block downstairs.

This works well and looks extremely clean. The only issue is that the IR receiver is at approximately 5 1/2' from the floor. When sitting, the receiver does not respond very well. There does not seem to be much plasma interference when the speaker cover is on. Although the talkback LED comes on when the cover is off (indicating some IR interference) the sensitivity is only slightly better. You need to point directly at the receiver and perhaps raise the remote to you head level.

I have another tabletop receiver for my system that I am currently using, but I would very much prefer to have the receiver installed in the speaker.

Does anyone know the best 1/2" diameter or stick-on receiver with great range, plasma rejection, and a wide angle? It would need to be 12 VDC for my system.

I know there are a lot out there, but I am hoping for some first hand experience. Help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 360
What remote are you using (or are you looking)? You might consider going RF instead with a base station to control the gear, which will avoid any interference or placement issues.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

RF has been considered, and actually used as an interim solution here. My URC RF remotes wer not quite powerful enough even though the great room is only about 20' from the AV stack. Getting through the floor seemed to be the issue. I did't have this issue in my previous house.

Also, the Speakercraft block has a IR blaster capability which can cover the whole stack pretty well. This makes for a very clean installation downstairs and is nice since it is next to my bar and theater area. The RF receiver for my URC remotes has only a stick on emitter output. I need to cover 6 components minimum.

Right now I am using the Cable DVR remote in the great room. This will change in the future. I may use my URC or may move to something like Harmony.

Thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details View Post

Also, the Speakercraft block has a IR blaster capability which can cover the whole stack pretty well. This makes for a very clean installation downstairs and is nice since it is next to my bar and theater area. The RF receiver for my URC remotes has only a stick on emitter output. I need to cover 6 components minimum.

You can take the emitter output from the RF receiver and route it into your speakercraft block to take advantage of the higher capacity...

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Its probably just getting physically blocked by the speaker grill for the particular angle you are at. Thats why it works if you lift up the remote. I doubt if any other receiver would make much of a difference.Maybe just make a few of the holes in the grill a little bit bigger or punch a little bigger hole in it.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
Use the cat5 wiring to daisy chain another URC RFX-150 off your URC basestation. Hide the RFX-150 in the wall or secure it on the speaker somehow, or depending on the locale maybe you can move the wire to behind the TV. That will take care of your RF distance issues.

As jautor mentioned you can take the IR output from the base station and into the speakercraft block. Or use dual emitters for more outputs. Or consider using an MSC-400 which has 12 outputs and some other cool functions.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 11:41 AM

The IRC1.1 includes a bezel to help solve issues with plasma/LCD interference.. are you using that? Placing the receiver behind a speaker grill is going to effect the reception angle of the receiver as well as reduce its sensitivity (as you have seen). Personally I would change the receiver to one that can be placed on the bezel of the TV like this Xantech DL85
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page