7.1 Receiver to run 4 stereo (2 channel) single-source zones - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, newbie question here. I've done a lot of research and searching on these forums, but haven't been able to find anything covering this topic.

What I'm looking to do is this:

-Play audio in 4 zone's throughout my home
-Need ability to play MP3's from USB flash drive.
-Each zone will have 2 in-wall speaker's.
-I need only one source (single source) to play throughout the home at a time.
-I don't foresee any need to control the zones volume separately.

What I'm thinking as a solution:
Use a Pioneer VSX-920-K Receiver, since it has USB port and 7.1, and connect zone 1 to "Front" speaker terminals, zone 2 to "Surround" speaker terminals, zone 3 to "Surround Back" speaker terminals, and zone 4 to "Speaker B" terminals. Speakers in each zone would probably be Polk Audio RC85i's.

My questions:
1) Will this Work?
2) If so, what are the down side's, if any, to this setup?
3) Is this a good match of receiver to speaker?

Thank you in advance! Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

I don't see why this won't work for your application, as long as the AVR has something like an all speaker stereo setting.

You wouldn't be able to use any surround or processing modes as you would not get the same output from the surrounds as you would the fronts.

Also you will want to verify that with the Pioneer you can use the speaker A and B terminals at the same time. I have an older AVR that I use in my garage that I can only use one or the other, not both at the same time. If this is not the case, assuming the Polks are 8 ohms and the Pioneer can handle 4 ohms you could run 2 zones from the front A outputs. Just connect 2 speakers to the left and 2 to the right front channels in parallel.

As I have not heard either this AVR or the Polk speakers I can't really say if they will be a good match, but for whole home audio I'm sure they will work fine.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #3 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Beemer. I've played with this receiver at BestBuy. A and B can be on at same time and it does have a "all channel" output feature. Any other suggestions? Do you think I will get ample bass in each zone?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Bass really depends on the speaker size; for most in ceiling speakers I wouldn't count on a whole lot of bass output....

With my WHA setup, if I feel like extra bass, I'll use my IB sub which can be felt throughout most of my house.

For the most part though, the WHA music is just background for me so it doesn't need much bass.

post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2011, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The pioneer only has 7 amp channels.
Can't run 4 stereo pairs off that amp.
If you use the B speakers most likely the surround backs will be disabled.
So 3 stereo pairs is all you will have.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Good point.. I wasn't thinking clearly! I would just run 2 pairs from the front 'A' channels (assuming it can handle 4 ohms), the third set from the side surrounds and the 4th set from the rear surrounds.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

I don't know why people like to use surround receivers for distributed audio. In my mind it would make a lot more sense to use a stereo receiver with speaker selector (with or without volume controls) with an inexpensive Blu-ray player that has USB support. At some point, the surround receiver absolutely WILL go into a mode where DSP is being used and one room doesn't sound right or only half the room does.

An even better solution would be to get a Sonos ZP120, speaker selector, and play your MP3s off the network instead of a thumb drive. Not to mention it opens up music services, streaming radio, and great control options that the surround receiver would never have.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iimig View Post

i don't know why people like to use surround receivers for distributed audio. In my mind it would make a lot more sense to use a stereo receiver with speaker selector (with or without volume controls) with an inexpensive blu-ray player that has usb support. At some point, the surround receiver absolutely will go into a mode where dsp is being used and one room doesn't sound right or only half the room does.

An even better solution would be to get a sonos zp120, speaker selector, and play your mp3s off the network instead of a thumb drive. Not to mention it opens up music services, streaming radio, and great control options that the surround receiver would never have.

+1
post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2011, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

After doing some extensive research, you guys are right. Sonos or Apple Airplay is a much better solution. I'm now looking at the Sonos S5 with Zonebridge or using Apple TV with Airplay and a good set of 2.1 powered speakers. I'm looking for suggestions or advice on these too, but I'll start a new thread in the appropriate forum on that.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page