HDMI over Single UTP Cat5e - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need to route HDMI A/V from a Dish VIP-622 HD Sat receiver located in bedroom upstairs to my projector downstairs. I have an existing single Cat5e UTP cable run between the 2 locations. It's not easy running additional cables because of finished ceilings and I beam joists.

The Conversion Technology single Ethernet cable solution mentioned in the main thread is out of stock at Amazon. Any other recommendations less than $150?

TI Purepath Digital:
Quote:
An audio revolution from the source to the ear...found in $99 DVD receivers to audiophile-grade $10,000 audio systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
Be careful not to interchange the word ethernet with CAT5 in reference to HDMI extenders. There are actually solutions that use the ethernet network to distribute HDMI as well as cat5 extenders that go from point A to point B. Both of which use one CAT5, but one requires moderate network knowledge and hardware, one doesn't.

I always recommend the Binary B-200-1CAT-HDIR as a one CAT5 solution because it is the only one I know of that does 6.75gbps AND is HDMI 1.4 but it is $299.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a source for several brands of HDMI-Cat5 converters.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2011, 11:44 PM

You didn't mention about the distance between each devices. But As I know, network cables are used for extending hdmi signals but you should choose right solution for your requirement. Hdmi normally high bandwith signal, especially 1080p.

When you check to market you will see two type of solutions , one network cable or two network cables. two network cable solution use one cable for audio transmission and other cable for video.

So, It is better solution than single cable solution. because you will have a chance to carry high bandwith from two network cables.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroguru View Post

...two network cable solution use one cable for audio transmission and other cable for video.

Wrong. Audio is embedded in the data stream on the same TMDS pairs used for video and control.
Quote:

So, It is better solution than single cable solution. because you will have a chance to carry high bandwith from two network cables.

Wrong. Whether single or double cable extender is better solution depends on the specific implementation of the devices being compared. Double cable devices are typically relatively simple (i.e. they have to do little more than adapt to the different media). So, it should be easier to develop a reliable device. But this doesn't always seem to be the case. Single cable solutions require significantly more engineering because they have to multiplex the control signals onto the same cable that carries video and sound. Even so, they seem to perform better than double cable devices in many cases. Maybe the reason is that real engineering is required to make them work at all.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page