Elan programming with Via!Learner and Via!Works - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I moved into a house with an installed Elan audio distribution system installed. There were no manuals or instructions, just one lonely FM tuner sending its output to 6 different locations around the house. I wanted to do a very simple addition: add an iPod dock to allow me to distibute the music from my iPod around the house.

Problem: Elan locks down the capability to make such changes, requiring one to hire an Elan dealer to make this change. I was fairly certain that it was a simple change and getting a dealer out for a house call would be overkill. But upon further investigation, I discovered Elan has a custom built "learner" box and software that is required to make any changes to the keypad programming. So, biting the bullet, I went through a bunch of rigamarole to locate a dealer, traded numerous phone calls with him, finally got him live on the phone. Yes, he was willing to come out and look at the system, for a $100/hour fee. But, he needed a few days, as he had to go find the manuals and re-read them .... he hadn't worked on one of these systems "in a few years." Not reassuring.

Solution: I was able to acquire the Via!Learner box, plus the Via!Works software and manuals. I programmed my keypads and everything is working great. The total cost was much less than I would have paid the installer. And I can make future additions and changes at any time at no cost.

Word to the wise: Along this journey, I had one Elan dealer tell me the Via!Learner box is tied to a specific copy of the Via!Works software and would not work unless the two were paired. Total BS!! I acquired the box and the software separately and they work flawlessly.

My system has a Z630 preamp and Z100 keypads. I understand the learner box and software can also be used to program Z!Pads and other Elan devices as well.

To assist anyone else travelling the same path I did, I'm willing to make the box and software available, assuming we can come to some arrangements to share costs and guarantee return of the box (I'm not interested in selling it, I have lots of ideas brewing on how to improve and add to my system). Contact me through this forum.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-12-2011, 06:49 PM

Not sure if you still have your via leaner box and via works software. I have an HDS-2000 system and one day I read the manual and it said to change the battery, you need to first power down the unit which I did. After changing the battery, it didn't work anymore. I think I should have left the power on. So now I need to re-program the unit. The original installation company is out of business. Also, the local Elan techs in the south S.F. Bay Area aren't intested in helping me as I've called six local companies and no one is interested. I guess since they can't sell me a system, they don't want to bother. Do you know where I can get what I need to re-program the unit? Sounds like I need the via!leaner box and via!works software. The system already has the rs232 interface card and cable. Thank you.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM

I also have a Via learner. When I bought this device, the seller sent the wrong software and no user manuals making it totally useless. It sounds like you found a solution to resolve these issues. I would greatly appreciate any assistance that you could provide.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Bill
post #4 of 6 Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 PM

I have 2 z630 series 1, z660, 6 z100/150 and 1 touch panel, z 600 , dsc3 and via learner with via tools software and pz6. i tried using the pz6 but it was giving me a headache so i butt spliced everything. how do i program the keypads? can you please give me step by step instruction? P.S. system is in Ghana west Africa. Thanks
post #5 of 6 Old 03-06-2013, 03:29 PM

Hello,

I am in the same situation as yourself. I purchased a house with Elan installed and was able to purchase the Elan programming hardware. I only need the software. Are you willing to sell a copy of the Elan Tools software? Please let me know cost and best way to receive.

Thank you.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 PM

Hello

I presently have an ELAN system with Via keypads screens
I have the learning tools and I believe the correct software
All I lack is the manuals and proper knowledge
The system is working okay BUT I just wish to have the knowledge in caes

thanks