Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Hi,

First post here!

I am currently wraping up the framing portion of finishing my basement. I want to create one central networking point for all my TV runs and network drops. Here is how my house is currently wired and layed out.

I have 4 bedrooms upstaris, a den and living room on the first floor. I have Comcast/Xfinity cable for my TV and internet provider. The main line comes in my basement and runs up to the attic. There is a splitter in the attic. I have one line going to my master bedroom on top floor, One line going to den on first floor and one line going to living room on first floor. I want to add 1 TV drop per bedroom along with 2 network drops. The splitter and lines that are currently there I would like to move down into my basement utility room and have one central location and patch panels located there. I am goign to purchase a roll of Cat6 and a roll of rg6 coax cable this weekend.

The network portion of this project I am pretty good with as I work with computers and networking for a living. It's the TV run part that I'm a little fuzzy on. I was looking at getting a wall mount I found on monoprice.com and adding in the patch panels and cable mgnt to it myself to house all my patch panels and the switch. Like I said I get how to do the networking stuff. Now if I purchase a blank patch panel and add in F2 connectors for the rg6 cables to connect too how do I wire this up exactly. This is the part i"m fuzzy on. The network patch panel I get, You run yuor dops to the patch panel then patch down any ports you want active to the switch. But with an rg6 patch panel say I have 7 lines going to the panel. Where do I patch these into to make them live? Do I use the splitter that I have in my attic currently? If so will I need multiple splitters then to facilitate 7 drops? Will I need a booster of some sorts if I do that? I'm am unclear how to wire this part up.

Thank you so much for any help and advice you can provide me! I want to get this done here in the next week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From your RG6 patch panel, you would need to jumper into something like this. From there you would connect to the cable coming in from the street.

I think this will work for you, but before you buy anything, I would make sure it will work with your cable provider.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over.....
post #3 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Patch panels for cable TV coax drops are unnecessary and probably get in the way more than help. You're not likely to "reconfigure" that cable, so the flexibility of a patch panel doesn't help you.

You want to have the smallest number of splitters as possible - one is best - and split the signal only as much as you need (i.e. don't use an 8-way splitter for 4 drops). Amplify the signal before the split, or better yet, use an amplified splitter like the ChannelPlus units for the best outcome.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I wanted to do something like what is in this thread. Right now I have 3 drops. I want to add a TV drop in every bedroom upstairs so that will be 3 more drops. Plus then I will be added 2 or 3 in my basement. So that's about 5 more drops. I won't need all to be active right now but may need to activate them upstairs as time goes on. So I'm really confused as how to go about doing all this with the TV's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1236120

This is pretty much what I was thinking to do but for some reason so out of it when it comes to the TV stuff. It's driving me nuts that I can't wrap my head around it. I will probably have about 7 TV drops and not all of them need to be active right away. But I want them there for the future.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 356
If you can pull the new cables to the same place, just use a single splitter that will cover your needs (for now) and leave the other terminated cables just hanging (and labelled). If and when you want to make those drops 'live', swap out the splitter for a larger one.

Or just get a distribution amp/splitter that covers everything, make them all live now, and be done...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #6 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

I really wanted to do the patch panel for making it pretty and all contained in my network rack. Basically I could get a keystone blank patch panell for like 14 bucks, Add in say 8 keystone F connector plugins to it. Get an 8 way splitter amplifier. Run each line to the back of the patch pannel and patch cord from panel to splitter. I just personally think that it looks better and easier to lable/organize. It may be over kill I suppose. But that would work correct?
post #7 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I suggest you split the incoming cable once, with one split directly to the network modem and the other to a second, amplified splitter for the TVs.

I've seen this mentioned often, but don't really know if it is a big deal in reality. It would be considered a 'best practice'.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 16 Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks,

I also saw this mentioned and was planning to do that. So I'll have my main line split with a single splitter, one going to the cable modem and the otehr to my amplified splitter. Then punch down my lines as I need. The last question I guess I have is Say I am using an 8 way splitter with amp built in. Later say I need to add more lines. After the 8 way amplified splitter would I just need a regular splitter or do you need to keep going with the amplified kind?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Well I ran my lines this weekend. Here is what I'm looking at. At the moment I have 3 active tv's, 1 living room, 1 master bed, 1 Den. I have my main line coming into my home run in the basement and each active TV from home run up to the attic and to their respective TV locations. I added 2 more lines from the home run location to the attic then down to the new "future" locations. They are let's say Bedroom 1, Bedroom 2. So for now from my home run in the basemenet I have Master Bedroom, Living room, Den, Bedroom 1, Bedroom2. I have a third bedroom upstairs where I wanted to add another drop. Unfortunately I could not get another rg6 line up to the attic as I am all out of room in my chase pipe for another run. So I have a line dropped down into the wall and terminated at the wall plate. The line is only going up to the attic right now. My thinking was if I ever do need to activate it I could use a 2 way off one of the other lines. Now down in the basement I have my patch panel made. If I terminate the 5 lines to the patch pannel what is the best thing to do as far as a splitter. right now I have only a 4 way splitter. I want to get a bigger one so i could activate the lines. I also have a seperate amp that I purchased. So I'm guessing I'd be looking at something like this. Line in---->2way splitter----->one leg to cable modem----->other leg to amp------>amp to 8 way splitter-----patch cables from splitter to patch panel. Now here's another thing. When I finish my basement I will be adding possibly 4 more TV dropps. (1 for kids area, 2 above the bar, 1 home theater projector. So then I'd be looking at like 9 or so lines. At that time do I daisy chain another splitter in the line there at my homerun location? I don't think they make splitters bigger then 8 way? Also do I need to be concerened about the 2 way split in the attic?
post #10 of 16 Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
This website has some great info on splitting

http://www.swhowto.com/VideoLoss.htm

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #11 of 16 Old 04-26-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

I got my mounting bracket and started getting stuff put together. I am going to get a patch panel for the data lines setup soon. I want to get an 8way splitter for the rg6. I have bought this amp I'd like the kind of splitter that has the imputs all facing up so I can better manage the patch cables. Similar to this Does anyone have a suggestion on a good 8 way splitter? I live in the norther sub's of Chicago and have Comcast Xfinity for my cable and internet provider.

Here is a picture of what I have done so far. I have more data lines coming and plan to pretty this up a lot. I'll take care of all the exess cable and such.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM

I have a similar situation where I am trying to split my Dish HD DVR from my basement to my bedroom on the 2nd floor. I am not sure if I should use HDMI straight up or use one of those HDMI to CAT5/6 lines to carry the signal? I know that the HDMI wires are a bit difficult to work with since they are not too flexible, but I wonder if the CAT6 would be good enough to carry the full signal. I want to do this so that I can get my HD signal to my bedroom upstairs, not for bluray or any other signals. Unfortunately,my box only can do 1 HD signal so right now I only get standard on the signal upstairs. Any suggestions?
post #13 of 16 Old 04-26-2011, 07:23 PM

Is there anything that can take the HDMI and split it into coax well?
post #14 of 16 Old 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Nothing reliable for hdmi over rg6. I would recommend cat6 baluns for hdmi over 15' or so.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM

Any recommendations on the equipment to use? I was looking at Monoprice, but any other alternatives, or is Monoprice good enough?
post #16 of 16 Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Updated pic. I got my hands on an older 24 port patch panel. I'm just going to use it for the next month or so until I order a cat 6 one from monoprice. I'm still trying to weed out all the other cat 5 patch cables I have hooked up around the house (mostly office). Eventually I want all to be cat 6. And I want to someday upgrade to a gig switch but for now the 2 10/100 swtiches I have (shown in pic) were the right price. Free!

Right now for what I do on my network I think I'll be OK. Basically the most traffic my network sees is some online game playing and streaming movies from a pc to my living room TV. In the future I plan on using more AV streaming devices however.

Question on the rg6 patch panel. See how I have the patch cable going from the top barrel connector and through the blank opening in the open spaces below each connector? Now if I was to take more of the same type Fconnectors and fill both rows. Then just use a small .5 inch patch cable between the 2 f connectors will I be loosing much on my lines or my over all signal? It would look better but I don't know if that is adding to many connectors?
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page