Cheap whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have cabled my house for whole house audio (speaker cables to 6 rooms, and Cat5 for control pads), but never actually went ahead with it due to the cost. I'd now like to install a cheap and cheerful system. It's not for the room where my Home Cinema/Hi Fi stuff is, just for other rooms.

Proper multi-channel amplifiers still seem very expensive, so I am thinking of using an existing amp I have (Arcam A80) and source equipment (CD, tuner), together with an Aton DLA6 to distribute the sound to the 6 rooms. For control, I am thinking of controlling everything from my iPhone using an iTach IP to IR converter and software such as iRule. Can't see the point of expensive room control pads when my wife and I both have iPhones.

Does this make sense? The Aton is a fair bit of money, but still a lot less than a proper multi-room amp. I will never use more than 3 of the speaker pairs simultaneously, and don't mind not being able to have different things playing in different places at the same time. The amp doesn't have a digital audio input, which is a pity - not sure how much difference this will make given the limitations of in-ceiling speakers.

I will want to be able to play music stored on a hard drive (NAS or computer) and control it from the iPhone. What is the best way of doing this? I have an old XP machine I could use. I was thinking of running iTunes on it and controlling it by the Apple Remote ap. Is this a good way of doing it, or is there something better? I would like to be able to create playlists, play albums (not just tracks), easily browse and locate music. Another idea is to use a single Sonos ZP-90 as the source.

So, my questions are:
1. Does the overall approach make sense?
2. What is the best way of adding a music server with proper control from an iPhone?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon View Post

Can't see the point of expensive room control pads when my wife and I both have iPhones.

Assuming you carry them with you in the house, and no one else will need to adjust volume, sure, that will work... Keypads allow a lot of other functionality, but they can be expensive, and there's nothing wrong with a simple system (using local or remote volume controls).

Quote:
Does this make sense?

Yep. To control with an iTach, note that you'll very likely need the Global Cache GC-to-Xantech compatibility cable (GC-CGX). I need one to make the iTach work with my Aton video matrix.

Quote:
The amp doesn't have a digital audio input, which is a pity - not sure how much difference this will make given the limitations of in-ceiling speakers.

None whatsoever... Most whole-house systems are analog-input-only, regardless of price.

Quote:
I will want to be able to play music stored on a hard drive (NAS or computer) and control it from the iPhone. What is the best way of doing this? I have an old XP machine I could use. I was thinking of running iTunes on it and controlling it by the Apple Remote ap. Is this a good way of doing it, or is there something better? I would like to be able to create playlists, play albums (not just tracks), easily browse and locate music. Another idea is to use a single Sonos ZP-90 as the source.

If you're starting from scratch here, definitely look at the Sonos box. Does what you want, and has Internet radio, Pandora, SiriusXM, etc.

I have my music on a 'server' and use iTunes and an Airport Express to stream it to the A/V system, controlled with Apple Remote on an iPod.

Hope that helps. Most important part of any good multi-room system is to ensure you can control it, turn it on/off, etc. from the room you want to have music in. Having to go elsewhere to select tracks, turn the thing on, etc. is a hassle and makes it much less likely to be used on a daily basis.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
Home Theater direct have a very good system with keypads to control the system in every room. Their systems are much less expensive than one would anticipate.

I have installed the Lync 12 and am very happy with it.

Otherwise your approach will work. One of my sources on my Lync 12 is a computer running Windows XP and Itunes. I control it over a wireless network using Ituned remote on my Iphone.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM

Liked: 11
airport express to the amp. control itunes with iphone.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page