Need help, system design and choices not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to design a nice home with audio everywhere, I thought I had it all figured out but running into some major confusion.
I was hoping to use 2 AVR's one for Master bedroom and the other for the Living room with a multiroom system to power the other 8 zones with sources of a home media computer, Blu ray and the 2 Directv boxes, an Ipod using a HDMI splitter.
I am very confused on what Multi room 8 zone system to use and how to properly split the HDMI's with without losing quality and 3d picture. I want the multi room to accept all my sources using keypads as well as the URC 980 remote and if possible video via HDMI or component.
I am also confused on a home media computer since I was planning on getting a high end video card with HDMI output and an audio card with TosLink optical along with analog audio outputs but with windows 7 you cannot have simultaneously audio outputs.
Please help me with the design of this system with opinions on brands for the Multi zone 8 zone equipment and/or HDMI splitters; I listed all the equipment already installed below. I tried to buy good equipment based on a lot of internet reviews and many hours of reading this forum and I think I went way over board with the pre-wire but it was a once only chance so I want to be prepared for anything the future may bring. Of course like everyone the economy has made me consider price as much as quality. All the wiring runs go to a closet with an Installers choice SR43-26 43U rack and four dedicated 20 amp 110 volt wire runs. I figured one line for each amp, one for the multi zone amp and one for all the other equipment using an APC Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500.
My home system consists of; (all AVR, Amps, DVR's, Router,Switches and such go to an amp in a closet.)
Master Bedroom:
Panasonic 58 VT25 series Plasma, Sonance In-Wall Cinema Select LCR and 1 pair of Cinema Select SUR
Mounted with Dynamat In-Wall powered by Adcom GFA-7805 and 2 - Minime 8 self-powered subs with an Interga DCH-40.2 AVR
Living room:
Samsung UN658000 LED, Sonance In-Ceiling Ellipse 2.0 LCR and 2 pair of Ellipse 2.0 SUR
Mounted with Dynamat Dynaboxes powered by Adcom GFA-7807 and 2 - Sunfire 10 self-powered subs with an additional Interga DCH-40.2 AVR
Two rooms (Office & spare bed)
1pr Sonance 625 In-Ceiling Speakers also in Dynaboxes and Pioneer 50 Plasmas PDP series
Three rooms (Laundry, Master bath, walk in closet)
1pr Sonance 625 In-Ceiling Speakers also in Dynaboxes
Two Rooms (Kitchen, Pool table, bar area)
1pr Sonance 625 In-Ceiling Speakers also in Dynaboxes and wiring for TV's not yet purchased.
Outside area (2 pair of 8 outdoor 3 way speaker boxes)
Two Directv HR21 DVR's and a roof mounted HD antenna
Samsung BDC- 7900 Blu Ray player with 2 HDMI outputs
Universal Remote Control MX-980 with MRF-350 & MRF-260 Along with Atom IR receivers
Every room has a Cat 5e ran by the light switch location of that room and 12 Awg speaker wire
Every TV location has 2 HDMI 1.3 (1.4 was not available the time of the prewire) Living room and master bedroom has 3 HDMI and each location has 2 five wire mini RG6 component video/audio wire and 5 Cat5e wire and 1 Cat 6 wire along with 3 RG6 quad shielded coaxial wire.
My thinking was;
I ran the RG6 coaxial for the roof mount HDTV antenna directly to each TV and 2 spare if I ever had to place the Directv box at the TV location. 1 Cat 6 supplies internet to each TV. Five Cat5e one for the IR Eye receiver so I can use the factory equipment remotes or the URC mx-980 to control everything. Leaving four spare cat5e for future upgrades for the next wiring to replace HDMI. The 2 two sets of Components for inputs and then of the HDMI's to the AVR's.
I would love to inter grade the lights and anything else in the future but I didn't plan ahead for that.
Thank you in advance for any and all opinions and advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2011, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

One minor correction: These rooms have 2 pair of speakers in each room due to size.
Two Rooms (Kitchen, Pool table, bar area)
2pr Sonance 625 In-Ceiling Speakers also in Dynaboxes and wiring for TV’s not yet purchased.
I originally listed 1 pair per room
post #3 of 9 Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I assume you home-ran the speaker wire to that rack location and have cat5 wiring to the keypad locations...

Easiest to keep the whole house audio system separate from video distribution (in the DIY realm, at least). Look at the NuVo and Russound products. I'm biased toward NuVo as I've got a Grand Concerto system. Add their MusicPort Server (MPS4 or the Elite) and you'll get digital music/internet radio support with metadata on the keypads.

Since you've got all the source equipment at the same location, you can easily pipe the "TV audio" from your video sources to the WHA system as well. I use this a lot for listening to news in the morning, and for sports events by playing the TV audio in the game room, for example.

For video, 3D will be difficult, as is all multichannel audio with HDMI distribution, because the sources will downshift their output to the common denominator. So if you have a non-3D TV with 2-channel audio support (read: any <40" screen), nothing is going to get fed 5.1 or 3D... Search the forum for HDMI matrix switches and you'll see the hassles.

Consider dedicating some sources (a BD player, perhaps a set-top box) to the location that will be 3D-capable for that reason. Remoting a BD player isn't necessarily helpful, as it means you have to go to the closet to put a disc in...

That's a start, anyway. Sounds like you've at least got enough wire, for now...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 9 Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 AM

I would agree with Jautor's post for one simple reason, in the last section of your text you mention you want to integrate to home automation system. If i were you I would plan on doing that right away. The cost will be minimal of you don't immediately purchase all the end point (switches, heating and terminals). I would recommend you look at the Nuvo audio products and the HAI home automation products. Both will integrate well.

Sounds like a great project.

Have fun!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post

I would agree with Jautor's post for one simple reason...

Oh, and I thought it was because I was right...

+1 on looking at HAI + NuVo. Absolutely make sure you've got the wiring in place to do the automation stuff. That was an area I under-explored when I built my house. I *may* have enough cables to enough places to take care of it, but some more research would have had me bury a few more cables in the wall.

Oh, that's a good reminder - you don't have to surface every wire at a J-box. If you secure the wire and document its location (photos, measurements), you can bury it in the wall and punch through later if and when you want a "something" there... There are some places in the house where, in the future, one would expect the "cool, flush-mounted home controller touchscreen" to go, where I should have had a cable in the wall to support.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #6 of 9 Old 06-03-2011, 08:04 AM

I forgot to mention the HAI has a great remote function that you can use with an Iphone/Ipad/Ipod. It will allow full control of all zones for your Nuvo system as well as all the security and home automation.

Hey Jautor... You are very seldomly wrong... Your input is very valuable to this site
post #7 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

I really appreciate the input.
All the speaker wiring and cat 5e are home run to the rack. I did run spare three cat 5E and 1 Cat 6 to all major walls in the house and in most locations 1 or two RG6 and left them in a wall caddy 12 from the floor so they are easy to find. All the wire runs come down from the ceilings for easy access at any height. I figured there will almost always be one or more left at for the plate at the wall caddy so it would look fine regardless of furniture placement and easy to find. I also took tons of pictures and movie footage, with a ruler in view for easy of future installs and to avoid the water pipes and such.
I was first planning on using the Sonance multi Zone system but after reading this forum I was leaning towards NuVo, Russound or Total Control. Any input on Sonance or Elan? The NuVo does look very good but the MusicPort Server has me a little confused on how it operates. I will do my research on it this week.
I am really interested in something that could also distribute the video along with the audio if it exists, I would give up the 3D capability if needed.
As for home automation I picked up a bunch of different Lutron switches radioRA RB-AD-WH, RB-10D-WH and 8 different similar models but I cannot find much information on them.
I know I must sound nuts with the amount of wiring but, I purchased most of the stuff, wiring, switches, speakers, etc at a foreclosure auction of a local business. I had cases of wiring. Not including the HDMI's and the Component ends which were extremely expensive all the other wiring cost me $250.00. I ran Cat5e everywhere all four walls of each room to every appliance in the kitchen, every light switch location, etc
I don't own any I-pod's or such just figured on having the port if a guest may bring one, I have a windows phone and my wife loves her blackberry. We both hate headphones. We hardly ever use the Blu Ray also so I don't mind going to the closet the once a year to load a disk we have a ranch style house so it is close by.
Thank you again for the ideas all and any are really appreciated.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post
Hey Jautor... You are very seldomly wrong... Your input is very valuable to this site
Right back at ya, my North-o-the-border buddy!

Jeff

post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple151 View Post
The NuVo does look very good but the MusicPort Server has me a little confused on how it operates. I will do my research on it this week.
Which part confuses you? I use the MusicPort (SW version running on a PC), and there's some other folks 'round here that have the MPS4 / MPS4E that can explain it... But simply - it's got a local disk, will sync (copy) files from your PC, and has Internet music service support. The Elite version adds remote (NAS) storage, cloud services, etc.

Quote:
I picked up a bunch of different Lutron switches radioRA RB-AD-WH, RB-10D-WH and 8 different similar models but I cannot find much information on them.
RadioRA is a popular system, you need a controller to get the system up and running. Note that the newer system is RadioRA2 - make sure you get the right gear (not sure if the RadioRA2 controller/parts work with RadioRA (1)).

Quote:
I know I must sound nuts with the amount of wiring
No one here is going to say that. Now, you might not want to mention that much cable to innocent bystanders...

Quote:
I ran Cat5e everywhere all four walls of each room to every appliance in the kitchen, every light switch location, etc
Brings a tear to my eye... Well done.

Jeff

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page