Need help connecting TV to 'man cave' - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have a "man cave" in the backyard that has a TV and DVD player. When i say man cave i actually mean an oversized shed.

I want to be able to run some cables from the louge room cable TV to the man cave and watch it in there. I dont want to use a AV sender/receiver and prefer to use cables to get the best picture possible. The TV in the man cave is just a normal 32" LCD.

What i want to do is run some PVC pipes in the backyard (under the ground) to the man cave to make it nice and neat. And to do it all nice and neat (up the walls, against the walls, in the ground etc...) i am going to need about 160ft of cable.

What would be the best way to do this? Do i just try and find a very long 3RCA cables?? Somebody did mention getting a roll of RG6 Coaxial and doing it that way.

Would love to get some ideas.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-26-2011, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Do you have power already, in the shed?

Will it just be another cable TV 'drop' out there? I get basic cable without the cable box. Or do you want to use the cable box in the family/lounge room? Do you mind watching the same thing in your shed as is playing in the lounge room? Do you need a cable box in the shed?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, its got power in shed. And because there is nothing else in there, my cable company has told me that they cant set up another box in the room due to no infrastrcuture being available.

Watching whatever in the louge room is ok i guess because i will eventualluy get one of those remote control sender/receivers to change the channel.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
You know what they say.... If your not in total control of the remote, your not going out to your man cave, your being sent out into the proverbial Dog House

Not that I or any friends of my associates would do this ... but if you want to save on the needed RG-6 direct burial cable :

Call your local cable company and tell them your building a house and have a long service trench from your house to the street, around 250 feet, that you must fill in tomorrow. Let them know you need to have them come out and lay their cable in the trench before that, so you can be a cable customer. They will inform you that there is no way they can get anyone out there with so little notice, but will typically inform you that if you could come by their facility, they would be happy to give you the needed cable if you would not mind placing it in the trench yourself. Not that I or anyone I associate with has ever done this, but, they will typically just give you a 500' spool given that needed distance.
You might want to have an address off hand to give them, as they may want to confirm your in their service area though. Or so I hear

You may want to pull some direct burial twisted pair also for phone / IR Repeater ..... this requires a similar call to your local phone company
Or so I hear again

"if you can't find the answer to life, change your questions"
post #5 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaDz View Post
Yes, its got power in shed. And because there is nothing else in there, my cable company has told me that they cant set up another box in the room due to no infrastrcuture being available.

Watching whatever in the louge room is ok i guess because i will eventualluy get one of those remote control sender/receivers to change the channel.
Assuming your cable box is HD and has an HDMI output, my suggestion would be to use an HDMI over Cat5 extender. If you're already using the HDMI output from your cable box for the TV in the lounge, you can either use an HDMI splitter or use the component video output (which is also HD capable) from the cable box for the lounge TV (you'll also need to make a separate audio connection) which would free up the HDMI output to feed the other TV via the HDMI extender.

To control the cable box remotely, the Hot-Link-CAT-5-Repeater-System is highly regarded by many on this forum but I have no first hand experience with it myself since I use the Next Gen wireless remote extender which maxes out at 100' based on the specs.

Vin
post #6 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVanMeter View Post
Not that I or any friends of my associates would do this ... but if you want to save on the needed RG-6 direct burial cable :

Call your local cable company and tell them your building a house and have a long service trench from your house to the street, around 250 feet, that you must fill in tomorrow. Let them know you need to have them come out and lay their cable in the trench before that, so you can be a cable customer. They will inform you that there is no way they can get anyone out there with so little notice, but will typically inform you that if you could come by their facility, they would be happy to give you the needed cable if you would not mind placing it in the trench yourself. Not that I or anyone I associate with has ever done this, but, they will typically just give you a 500' spool given that needed distance.
You might want to have an address off hand to give them, as they may want to confirm your in their service area though. Or so I hear

You may want to pull some direct burial twisted pair also for phone / IR Repeater ..... this requires a similar call to your local phone company
Or so I hear again
Why don't you just steal it off one of their trucks?

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Why not just run an RG11 from the demarc at the house to the man cave and add a new cable box? RG6 would probably work too, but 11 for sure. I would guess that the cable company was just saying that there is no drop to that building and they aren't interested in running one.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-28-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch999 View Post

Why not just run an RG11 from the demarc at the house to the man cave and add a new cable box? RG6 would probably work too, but 11 for sure. I would guess that the cable company was just saying that there is no drop to that building and they aren't interested in running one.

Exactly. The cable company doesn't need to know where the box is, or care for that matter. They don't install the boxes anyways, you do, so as long as it is at the same physical address, then you're fine.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page