New home AV distribution plan - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 106 Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Got it, okay, thanks. We're finalizing all the UTP pulls in my house this week, so it's timely advice.

It's a shame HDBaseT hasn't taken off more quickly. Man that'd make things easier.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 106 Old 08-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My two cents. On the location of the AV rack, I would locate in the study. that way you can eliminate the need for the door in the bedroom and the "bump out" in the media room.
I have used some balums here at work that use fibre to DVI to exten signals, would imagened that they have fibre to HDMI.
Great house
post #63 of 106 Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080eyes View Post

My two cents. On the location of the AV rack, I would locate in the study. that way you can eliminate the need for the door in the bedroom and the "bump out" in the media room.
I have used some balums here at work that use fibre to DVI to exten signals, would imagened that they have fibre to HDMI.
Great house

You probably missed that in the string of replies, but that was a noted problem in our first design meeting with the builder. We are going to move the master bedroom door further up that hall and figure out a way to move the "back" door to the rack into the hallway.

The study idea isnt a bad one, but I like the idea of having direct access in the media room for changing DVDs, XBOX games, etc, since the majority of that stuff will happen in that room. We are trying to emulate this room to some degree

With the stealthed in rack.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...788074&page=11

The architect is working on squaring that room off to make access simpler, but Im starting to get resigned to the idea of doing this via a pullout rack instead. Not a deal breaker by any means but I really liked the idea of a fixed rack with walk in access to the back. We meet again next Wednesday to see the first cut of the design changes, hopefully he figured out a way to make this all work.
post #64 of 106 Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
BigMouth's theater is a beauty!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #65 of 106 Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Nuvo question. Does it only display metadata from Nuvo sources? IE, if I use a Denon Receiver to supply Sirius to the Nuvo system, can the Nuvo wallpads display the metadata or does that only work with the Nuvo Tuner? What about streams from an HTPC?
post #66 of 106 Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorchris View Post

Nuvo question. Does it only display metadata from Nuvo sources? IE, if I use a Denon Receiver to supply Sirius to the Nuvo system, can the Nuvo wallpads display the metadata or does that only work with the Nuvo Tuner? What about streams from an HTPC?

Native support only for NuVo-sources... Some of us have written some code to push metadata for non-NuVo sources, too.

If you've got music on an HTPC, you can still find the NuVo MusicPort (not the server), which is an adapter and the Autonomic Mirage software/player which does provide metadata for local media, Pandora, Internet Radio, Sirius/XM online, etc. Street price for that is ~$300-400 these days on eBay.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #67 of 106 Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 78
IMO, the greatest thing about Nuvo is their music server.

Pandora, Spotify, Sirius/XM via net, internet radio via TuneIn.com (formerly RadioTime.com), FLAC, iTunes compatible, play music files from networked PCs, 4 sources provided

It's the only component I use.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #68 of 106 Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

IMO, the greatest thing about Nuvo is their music server.

Pandora, Spotify, Sirius/XM via net, internet radio via TuneIn.com (formerly RadioTime.com), FLAC, iTunes compatible, play music files from networked PCs, 4 sources provided

It's the only component I use.

The XM via net limitations on channels is a turn off. We dont listen to much besides XM and our Itunes library, but we are quite sold on the whole home audio distribution that Nuvo provides.

Next question, Nuvo vs Russound. Any particular pros or cons that put one ahead of the other? For some background, the most Im looking at is 12 zones, the inputs are pretty meager as shown above. The reason Im asking is I found out who my builder's AV guy is and he has a Russound logo on his site. We like the look of the Nuvo system, but I have a feeling this guy will push Russound hard when we talk

They seem to be a security installer doing home AV on the side, is that something to be concerned about? I dont see many examples of rack mounted systems and/or big structured cabling installs in their examples either.

http://www.vipsecuritytexas.com/residential.html
post #69 of 106 Old 08-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

The XM via net limitations on channels is a turn off. We dont listen to much besides XM and our Itunes library, but we are quite sold on the whole home audio distribution that Nuvo provides.

Next question, Nuvo vs Russound. Any particular pros or cons that put one ahead of the other? For some background, the most Im looking at is 12 zones, the inputs are pretty meager as shown above. The reason Im asking is I found out who my builder's AV guy is and he has a Russound logo on his site. We like the look of the Nuvo system, but I have a feeling this guy will push Russound hard when we talk

They seem to be a security installer doing home AV on the side, is that something to be concerned about? I dont see many examples of rack mounted systems and/or big structured cabling installs in their examples either.

http://www.vipsecuritytexas.com/residential.html

Have you looked at the channels excluded from the XM via net? I have and for my purposes, it didn't make a difference. If it bothers you (i.e., must-have channels are excluded), then buy a separate XM tuner (though that adds up the cost, the Nuvo ones are still pretty cheap compared to the MusicPort music server). I HAD one in my system, but it fried itself a few months back, and I just haven't swapped out the M3 server with a MusicPort yet.

As for the builder's AV guy, hard to tell by a website, though their site makes it look like they may be on the "simple" side of the biz (hang and bang, structured wiring, etc.). The structured wiring cabinets they did show looked nice and neat, so that should give you an indication that they do take pride in their cabling/layout - that's one positive. You can always have them pre-wire for the Nuvo system and then have someone else come in and install (heck, it's even possible to DIY the Nuvo system).
post #70 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
Have you looked at the channels excluded from the XM via net? I have and for my purposes, it didn't make a difference. If it bothers you (i.e., must-have channels are excluded), then buy a separate XM tuner (though that adds up the cost, the Nuvo ones are still pretty cheap compared to the MusicPort music server). I HAD one in my system, but it fried itself a few months back, and I just haven't swapped out the M3 server with a MusicPort yet.

As for the builder's AV guy, hard to tell by a website, though their site makes it look like they may be on the "simple" side of the biz (hang and bang, structured wiring, etc.). The structured wiring cabinets they did show looked nice and neat, so that should give you an indication that they do take pride in their cabling/layout - that's one positive. You can always have them pre-wire for the Nuvo system and then have someone else come in and install (heck, it's even possible to DIY the Nuvo system).
You know, I havent looked in a while. Apparently they updated their content available online because everything I listen to is there now. My big hang up before was the missing sports and comedy channels.

I think Im getting a good grip on the Nuvo stuff and I agree that it wouldnt be terribly hard to do myself based on the documentation Ive gone through. The thing Im having trouble wrapping my head around at this point is IR distribution. Ill go into detail in a follow up post with some block diagrams.
post #71 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

So here is my dillema. This was my plan for the initial build of the house. I will have the provisions in place for a matrix, but at this point I dont think Ill have the funds for it up front. The wife and I agree that the whole home audio is the bigger desire first, and she really likes the Nuvo stuff (Essentia). As of now I still have my receivers handling a second zone of audio each. If I go with the Nuvo system up front those zones will obviously be handled by the Nuvo directly.

The source question was semi cleared up above, so Ill update that at some point soon after I price the music server and look at the budget impact. I will also update the house plans to reflect the 11 zones (the 12th is a standalone workshop). I think Im right on how to handle the 5:1 zones with my amps. The Nuvo will feed it 2 channel audio and the Amp will use 2 speakers when its pumping that audio. I went with LSA40 amplified local interrupts in the two kids bedrooms so they can push their TV audio through the speakers when the Nuvo isnt active. TV audio out is generally line level correct?

My big question is IR control. I know the Nuvo stuff has IR and 232 controls, but there is overlap with my video stuff that wont be tied into the audio anywhere. Can I use the Nuvo for all my IR (and/or 232) distribution or do I need to use some third party IR control and use that to control the Nuvo stuff?
post #72 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Couple of quick thoughts on your questions:

(1) yes, TV Audio is USUALLY line level - check your user manual - it probably says. Big question here - where do you plan to orient your speakers in the kids bedrooms? In ceiling spread across the room for background music might make TV stereo sound a bit weird (no left/right channel separation). Just something to consider for speaker placement in those rooms.

(2) I don't know a lot about the Nuvo IR capabilities, but I will offer that IF you get the Musicport server, you can use the Ipad/iPhone Nuvo app to control everything Nuvo so that will get you Nuvo keypad + idevice control, combined with dedicated remote for local IR devices (tv's, avr's). Not positive but for the kids, you may be able to put the app on a (relatively) inexpensive ipod touch for them (again, not sure it runs on that, but many iphone apps will run on ipod touch. Something to investigate as an option to trying to put in separate IR, especially if you are going to do any Home Automation down the road.
post #73 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
Couple of quick thoughts on your questions:

(1) yes, TV Audio is USUALLY line level - check your user manual - it probably says. Big question here - where do you plan to orient your speakers in the kids bedrooms? In ceiling spread across the room for background music might make TV stereo sound a bit weird (no left/right channel separation). Just something to consider for speaker placement in those rooms.

(2) I don't know a lot about the Nuvo IR capabilities, but I will offer that IF you get the Musicport server, you can use the Ipad/iPhone Nuvo app to control everything Nuvo so that will get you Nuvo keypad + idevice control, combined with dedicated remote for local IR devices (tv's, avr's). Not positive but for the kids, you may be able to put the app on a (relatively) inexpensive ipod touch for them (again, not sure it runs on that, but many iphone apps will run on ipod touch. Something to investigate as an option to trying to put in separate IR, especially if you are going to do any Home Automation down the road.
The line level audio from a TV wouldnt be in stereo? I dont see the point in bothering with the local interrupt then. Ill just use the speakers in those rooms for music.

Not really tracking your second point. Control of the Nuvo stuff isnt the concern. Each zone will have a Nuvo keypad in the wall. Im more concerned with IR for the rooms with AV devices that have to interact with the Nuvo system, specifically the two AV receivers for the media room and family room. If the Nuvo system was self contained I think this would be pretty straight forward. My thought was to use 232 control from the Nuvo to the receivers and use a third party IR solution from each room to their respective devices (first block diagram).
post #74 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The line level audio from a TV wouldnt be in stereo? I dont see the point in bothering with the local interrupt then. Ill just use the speakers in those rooms for music.

It will be in stereo, it's a question of if the TV's output is a fixed or variable output. The Local Source Amp (LSA, not the 'interrupt' version) expects a variable input - a fixed input would be at full-volume all the time...

Your system design looks almost identical to mine - NuVo plus video matrix with many zones overlapping.

If you're going the matrix route (eventually) and centralizing the video sources, you can just feed the source's audio as one of your NuVo sources - and play that over the speakers - instead of going the LSA route.

As Mike mentioned, speaker placement for audio vs. TV sound can conflict. What I did in the bedrooms was place the in-ceiling speakers at good surround channel locations. I wired the speakers to loop through the TV location (where a AVR could be) and added the control wire for the NuVo LSI (interrupt). So if I added an AVR and L/C/R speakers to the room, the in-ceiling speakers can be used double-duty for NuVo or as surround channels.

Quote:

Not really tracking your second point. Control of the Nuvo stuff isnt the concern. Each zone will have a Nuvo keypad in the wall. Im more concerned with IR for the rooms with AV devices that have to interact with the Nuvo system, specifically the two AV receivers for the media room and family room. If the Nuvo system was self contained I think this would be pretty straight forward. My thought was to use 232 control from the Nuvo to the receivers and use a third party IR solution from each room to their respective devices (first block diagram).

Doesn't work that way... NuVo has good pass-through IR support to control non-NuVo devices using any IR remote (point at the keypad). You can also learn IR codes (if they're not in the NuVo library you need the NuVo learning kit or borrow one from a dealer) so that the NuVo keypads will control those source devices as well. But any other control is one-way - you can control the NuVo with RS232, but can't use the NuVo (natively) to control another device via RS232...

Why would you need to control an AVR from the NuVo? Also, for rooms with AVR's and 5.1 - when are you going to use audio from the NuVo in those zones? You might be able to avoid the $$ of the expansion chassis by keeping the AVRs zones off the NuVo, if that's a concern...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 

post #75 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

It will be in stereo, it's a question of if the TV's output is a fixed or variable output. The Local Source Amp (LSA, not the 'interrupt' version) expects a variable input - a fixed input would be at full-volume all the time...

Your system design looks almost identical to mine - NuVo plus video matrix with many zones overlapping.

If you're going the matrix route (eventually) and centralizing the video sources, you can just feed the source's audio as one of your NuVo sources - and play that over the speakers - instead of going the LSA route.

As Mike mentioned, speaker placement for audio vs. TV sound can conflict. What I did in the bedrooms was place the in-ceiling speakers at good surround channel locations. I wired the speakers to loop through the TV location (where a AVR could be) and added the control wire for the NuVo LSI (interrupt). So if I added an AVR and L/C/R speakers to the room, the in-ceiling speakers can be used double-duty for NuVo or as surround channels.

Doesn't work that way... NuVo has good pass-through IR support to control non-NuVo devices using any IR remote (point at the keypad). You can also learn IR codes (if they're not in the NuVo library you need the NuVo learning kit or borrow one from a dealer) so that the NuVo keypads will control those source devices as well. But any other control is one-way - you can control the NuVo with RS232, but can't use the NuVo (natively) to control another device via RS232...

Why would you need to control an AVR from the NuVo? Also, for rooms with AVR's and 5.1 - when are you going to use audio from the NuVo in those zones? You might be able to avoid the $$ of the expansion chassis by keeping the AVRs zones off the NuVo, if that's a concern...

Jeff

I was just thinking I could use the in ceiling speakers for "bigger" sound than regular TV speakers. I didnt give much thought to the location of the speakers making it sound worse though. Honestly it doesnt make a whoop, its just the kid's TVs and they will move out before long.

I guess pass through is fine, but does the IR info go to all the devices with an IR blaster or does IR from zone 1 keypad only go out of the zone 1 IR output? If its the former I think I have more than enough IR outputs to handle everything, if not Im back at needing some other way to hit all the devices.

I dont need to control the AVR from the Nuvo per say, but I will need to tell the AVR to switch to the Nuvo input in those 5:1 zones? If the keypad is used to activate that zone I would think the Nuvo would have to tell the AVR to switch to X input right? The intent was to avoid the hassle of having to use the UCR to set up the receiver and then use the Nuvo pad to listen to the music.

The family room probably isnt critical since the kitchen can supply that area, but the media room is isolated. The expansion chassis was to handle the 12 zones, even if I eliminate those two Im at 10 zones for the house, which still requires the expansion unit (I think?).
post #76 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess pass through is fine, but does the IR info go to all the devices with an IR blaster or does IR from zone 1 keypad only go out of the zone 1 IR output? If its the former I think I have more than enough IR outputs to handle everything, if not Im back at needing some other way to hit all the devices.

It can do either. There are source-specific IR outputs (IR from a keypad gets routed only to the selected source) and an "all" IR output (everything repeated).

Quote:

I dont need to control the AVR from the Nuvo per say, but I will need to tell the AVR to switch to the Nuvo input in those 5:1 zones? If the keypad is used to activate that zone I would think the Nuvo would have to tell the AVR to switch to X input right? The intent was to avoid the hassle of having to use the UCR to set up the receiver and then use the Nuvo pad to listen to the music.

That's probably unavoidable. The keypad volume up/down is going to control the NuVo amp, not map to the AVR's vol +/-, for example...

I feed the fixed output of one of the zones to an input on my AVR in the family room, use the iPhone app to control the music server from there. But even that capability is rarely used, since I have other ways to get to the digital library... And with many AVRs and devices having access to Pandora/Spotify/Airplay - the need to connect NuVo sources to an AVR is becoming less important.

Quote:

The family room probably isnt critical since the kitchen can supply that area, but the media room is isolated. The expansion chassis was to handle the 12 zones, even if I eliminate those two Im at 10 zones for the house, which still requires the expansion unit (I think?).

If they need to be independent, then yes, you're looking at the expansion system. I'm expanding mine with a (cheap) external amp and combining some rooms into single zones to avoid (for now) the cost of the expansion system. You can wire extra keypads and assign multiple keypads to control one zone, for example.

Jeff

post #77 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ah, so thats the SUM IR output? Do they have an octopus cable that can hang multiple blasters off of the SUM input so you can hit multiple devices at once?

I thought by using the variable output from the Nuvo that the keypad volume would work even with an AVR? I guess I should clarify, Im hanging the AVR off of the Nuvo because I thoughts how you had to tap into a 5:1 zone since those speakers will all be routed to the AVR. Is there a way to split the speakers between the Nuvo and AVR? Is there any risks there?

By combining multiple rooms into one zone I dont have any ability to individually control one room's audio though do I? IE, if I wire the bathroom and bedroom together into one zone and use either keypad it will turn both sets of speakers on, and use the same volume settings for both right?
post #78 of 106 Old 08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, so thats the SUM IR output? Do they have an octopus cable that can hang multiple blasters off of the SUM input so you can hit multiple devices at once?

Yes, the SUM IR output is 'global'. There are dual-emitter cables and other connecting blocks, but if you're running a lot of non-source-specific gear off of the NuVo's IR repeater, you're probably not going about it the right way...

Quote:

I thought by using the variable output from the Nuvo that the keypad volume would work even with an AVR?

Well, I suppose you could do that, but then you're going to have two volume knobs, and potentially get blasted when someone switches sources. And you've still got source selection and power control, among other things.

Quote:

I guess I should clarify, Im hanging the AVR off of the Nuvo because I thoughts how you had to tap into a 5:1 zone since those speakers will all be routed to the AVR. Is there a way to split the speakers between the Nuvo and AVR? Is there any risks there?

Yes, NuVo LSI (local source interrupt).

Quote:

By combining multiple rooms into one zone I dont have any ability to individually control one room's audio though do I? IE, if I wire the bathroom and bedroom together into one zone and use either keypad it will turn both sets of speakers on, and use the same volume settings for both right?

Correct. My point was that since budget is always an issue, you could give up some flexibility by combining some zones. You can always expand later. But if you can't reasonable combine to 8 or less, it won't help so don't bother...

Jeff

post #79 of 106 Old 08-24-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, the SUM IR output is 'global'. There are dual-emitter cables and other connecting blocks, but if you're running a lot of non-source-specific gear off of the NuVo's IR repeater, you're probably not going about it the right way...

Understood. Right now Im still in the learning phase, so Im trying to get a handle on what is and isnt possible within certain approaches. So a third party IR solution from each room is probably the safer play here correct?

Quote:

Well, I suppose you could do that, but then you're going to have two volume knobs, and potentially get blasted when someone switches sources. And you've still got source selection and power control, among other things.

Yes, NuVo LSI (local source interrupt).

So I do an LSI on a pair of ceiling speakers that are part of the 5:1 wiring. When I power the Nuvo keypad it will switch to the Nuvo input (via a relay Im assuming?) Is there any risk involved with having the AVR pumping 5:1 audio while the Nuvo is active? If youre going to pump audio into the room from the Nuvo the AVR should be off but Im thinking if someone walks in the room and doesnt know it (visitors, kids) and powers the keypad while the TV is on.

Quote:

Correct. My point was that since budget is always an issue, you could give up some flexibility by combining some zones. You can always expand later. But if you can't reasonable combine to 8 or less, it won't help so don't bother...

Jeff

There are some possibilities, but it would be a stretch to combine those zones down to 6. Worst case we will have 6 active and 6 capped until the extender gets bought.
post #80 of 106 Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Understood. Right now Im still in the learning phase, so Im trying to get a handle on what is and isnt possible within certain approaches. So a third party IR solution from each room is probably the safer play here correct?

To control what? If you're going down the video matrix path, many of those products also route IR to the matrix sources. Which is a better answer for video, since you'd place an IR receiver on the display. Point the remote at the TV control the video == makes sense...

Quote:

So I do an LSI on a pair of ceiling speakers that are part of the 5:1 wiring. When I power the Nuvo keypad it will switch to the Nuvo input (via a relay Im assuming?) Is there any risk involved with having the AVR pumping 5:1 audio while the Nuvo is active? If youre going to pump audio into the room from the Nuvo the AVR should be off but Im thinking if someone walks in the room and doesnt know it (visitors, kids) and powers the keypad while the TV is on.

It's a relay that connects to the AVR when the NuVo is off, when on, the AVR just sees no load, so no risk... Just like if there were no speakers connected.

Again, if you have an AVR powering a zone, I'd use that in all cases, and just provide the NuVo line-level signal to the AVR as a source. You can still use the keypads (wired, wireless or iDevice) to control the NuVo sources...

Jeff

post #81 of 106 Old 08-24-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To control what? If you're going down the video matrix path, many of those products also route IR to the matrix sources. Which is a better answer for video, since you'd place an IR receiver on the display. Point the remote at the TV control the video == makes sense...

I completely agree, but as stated a couple of times, the video matrix is at the bottom of the pecking order as far as priorities. We will be doing AVRs connecting directly to the TVs for those initial 3 zones when we build. I will wire for a matrix, but it wont be in place anytime soon. So I need an IR solution minus a matrix for the time being.

Quote:

It's a relay that connects to the AVR when the NuVo is off, when on, the AVR just sees no load, so no risk... Just like if there were no speakers connected.

Again, if you have an AVR powering a zone, I'd use that in all cases, and just provide the NuVo line-level signal to the AVR as a source. You can still use the keypads (wired, wireless or iDevice) to control the NuVo sources...

Jeff

Gotcha, so use the fixed output versus the variable on the Nuvo to an audio input on the AVR? The trigger is pointless as well since this will all be controlled via IR right?
post #82 of 106 Old 08-24-2011, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We will be doing AVRs connecting directly to the TVs for those initial 3 zones when we build. I will wire for a matrix, but it wont be in place anytime soon. So I need an IR solution minus a matrix for the time being.

Ah, ok. Then yeah, a simple IR repeater setup would be the way to go... Xantech kit or something equivalent. Don't rely on the NuVo for that, since your keypad won't likely be in the normal line of sight to the display.

Quote:
Gotcha, so use the fixed output versus the variable on the Nuvo to an audio input on the AVR? The trigger is pointless as well since this will all be controlled via IR right?

Yep, you got it.

Jeff

post #83 of 106 Old 08-25-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ah, ok. Then yeah, a simple IR repeater setup would be the way to go... Xantech kit or something equivalent. Don't rely on the NuVo for that, since your keypad won't likely be in the normal line of sight to the display.

Yep, you got it.

Jeff

Can you wire two IR receivers together to a single 3.5mm into the block? Im thinking of using the second HDMI out from the AVR to push video to a second zone, but I would need IR control to the same devices from two separate zones. I realize that the second HDMI is slaved to the output of the first, this would be a patio/family room thing where we would likely be watching the same thing (football game) on both.

And if I havent said it enough, thanks for all the help. You (and Neuro, Canuck, and others) have been great at walking me through this stuff.

EDIT: Disregard, I found some Xantech documentation that says you can, up to a maximum of 12 on a single block. I can probably get away with a single block and do everything I need. So the next question is, are IR receivers pretty universal? Will I be able to reuse the receivers in each room with a matrix down the road (generally, I know thats a hard question)?
post #84 of 106 Old 08-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Yes you typically can add multiple IR receivers to the same block.
post #85 of 106 Old 08-25-2011, 07:51 AM

Sorry, didn't see your edit. Many IR solutions use 3.5 mm connections. Those are relatively universal. Mind you I have not tried to mix technologies before. I think that would be a trial & error basis, unless someone has had the chance to do this... If they have please report
post #86 of 106 Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

So I tried to bring everything together into a single diagram, I think Im pretty close.

Red is the IR distribution. Blue is speaker, them running through the Nuvo keypads is understood, I just didnt want to get that detailed in a block diagram. Yellow is the fixed output from the Nuvo running to the AVRs. All the cabling to the video zones is going to be 6x CAT-6 and 2 RG6 with HDMI running through conduit where noted. The Study receiver is a bit of overkill, Im using it to push other sources to that room (plug and play) if the need arises until the matrix is in place. I put the LSI in the study because Im considering making that a 5:1 zone as well. Ill have my computer stuff in there, and there is the possibility that Ill game with that set up from time to time.

The LSI on the patio is because those speakers will not be ceiling mounted, they will likely be some kind of high mounted external speakers in the corners of the patio area projecting horizontally. I think that will work well for both TV and stereo music.

For usage, we are looking at 4 people living in the house; my wife and I, 10 year old son, and 18 year old daughter that is moving out in the next year or two. As stated before, my wife and I arent big TV people. We enjoy movies, and we watch the news, but we dont sit down and watch TV from 5-10 PM. We are serious sports fans though, watch a ton of soccer, college football, hockey, and the NFL. That is mainly a weekend thing though. The kids watch a fair amount of TV, but they are just as likely to play video games all day if they were allowed.

The family room will get the most usage obviously. We will probably do quite a bit of family room / patio stuff during sporting events. We grill a lot (outdoor kitchen) so the ability to keep track of the game going back and forth from the big kitchen to the outdoor one is important. That is why Im running the second monitor out from the family room AVR to the patio. Slaving to the famly room's channel shouldnt be a problem 90% of the time, and shouldnt be critical until we get the matix in down the road.

The whole family enjoys music, I have an Itunes server that will go along with the XM streaming to feed the NuVo stuff. I think that will be enough sources but we will adjust as we get a feel for how we will use it long term. Our TV habits are understood, how we will deal with having music at our fingertips all the time isnt.

Internet access will be plentiful, Im planning on putting in 3 WAPS in strategic locations (Study, Family Room, and Bedroom 2 closet) to ensure there is plenty of good wifi access in any point of the house or patio area. There will be plenty of CAT taps located to adjust that as we figure out usage as well.

Budget will dictate our priorities to some degree. Right now our plan is:

1) Wiring the living crap out of the house to include conduit on any external or soundproofed walls. Then adding some more.
2) Nuvo Essentia and Music Port. Still working out the priorities what 6 zones we consider a priority
3) Ceiling and in wall speakers (paint matching, no place holder plates)
4) Nuvo Extender for the additional 6 zones.
5) TV for the patio
6) CAT matrix and additional TVs.

As of now we think 1-5 will make the initial budget, but we are still early in the build plan. Worst case 1-3 will make the initial cut.

Please review and tell me where I may be going wrong.
post #87 of 106 Old 08-26-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you have your priorities correct!

Note that the LSI (local source interrupt) requires a powered local source, while the LSA (amplifier) takes a line-level variable input. Just wanted to make sure you were clear on that...

If you're doing the LSI/A for TV sound, and the set-tops boxes are located centrally anyway, do what I did and just feed the set-top box audio to the NuVo as a source. I use TV audio via NuVo every morning to listen to the news while getting ready for work... And gets used in many rooms for sporting events.

Don't buy those additional wireless access points until you've checked the coverage once you move in. I suspect you won't need them, or perhaps only one to cover your patio area.

Jef

post #88 of 106 Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Looks like you have your priorities correct!

Note that the LSI (local source interrupt) requires a powered local source, while the LSA (amplifier) takes a line-level variable input. Just wanted to make sure you were clear on that...

If you're doing the LSI/A for TV sound, and the set-tops boxes are located centrally anyway, do what I did and just feed the set-top box audio to the NuVo as a source. I use TV audio via NuVo every morning to listen to the news while getting ready for work... And gets used in many rooms for sporting events.

Don't buy those additional wireless access points until you've checked the coverage once you move in. I suspect you won't need them, or perhaps only one to cover your patio area.

Jef

I like that idea better. Some of that could be a pita before the matrix is installed (like getting a TV to the right channel to listen to the news through the NuVo from the bedroom in the morning) but for the patio audio its a great workaround.

The speaker wire is coming from the AVR, so that means its powered correct? I thought the LSI was essentially a relay flicking between the two different speaker wire "sources"?
post #89 of 106 Old 08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Some of that could be a pita before the matrix is installed (like getting a TV to the right channel to listen to the news through the NuVo from the bedroom in the morning) but for the patio audio its a great workaround.

No, it's pretty easy. Three choices, assuming the source is the set-top box, located in the closet with the NuVo:

a) TV remote to the IR repeater in the bedroom, change channels, even without the TV on.
b) TV remote to the NuVo keypad, with IR emitter also in front of the set-top box
c) "Learned IR" codes for the 'favorite' channels into the NuVo system, select favorite channel from NuVo menu, IR emitter on set-top box changes channel.

Quote:

The speaker wire is coming from the AVR, so that means its powered correct? I thought the LSI was essentially a relay flicking between the two different speaker wire "sources"?

Yes, sorry, I was thinking TV sound coming from the TV, not the AVR. Yes, it's a relay, you'll have to do some extra cabling bits to intercept the speaker wire in the closet after it leaves the AllPort. And a cat5 cable from the LSI to the keypad in that zone. You're effectively running a remote-local-source

Jeff

post #90 of 106 Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

So a timely update.

We altered the original floorplan pretty severely on the back half of the house in order to get a covered back patio. I will try to put together a drawing of the final layout so you can see how things turned out. I did get a dedicated media room, and a dedicated structured wiring space to install an AV rack. We did go with 9 video zones and 12 zones of Nuvo for distributed audio. Each video zone consists of 6 category 6 and 2 QS RG-6. I dont have the final floorplan in any form that I can share at the moment, but I can share some pics of my prewire and some lessons learned.

Day one of prewire. This is the structured cabling closet. I tried to achieve something close to the bigmouth theater but the house layout and builder experience just didnt allow it to be as close as I would like. Its wider than it needs to be for a rack, and not deep enough to allow me to install a stationary rack. We placed all our pull boxes at the base of this closet and pulled through a roughly 12x20 opening I cut into the attic decking. More on this later.

This is a typical ethernet/phone drop. Two runs of Cat-6 and I used the snap-on new work LV single-gang boxes. Seemed expedient since LV work was scheduled after the electricians were finished.

Nuvo wallplate run. 16/4 from the closet to the box along with a single cat-6 for control. Second 16/4 run from the single-gang to the speakers.

Subwoofer drop. 14/2 along with a RG-6 run in another snap-on single gang. This covers powered and unpowered subs.

This is what my video drops look like on the interior. 2 triple gang (1 HV and 2 LV) boxes mounted at wall height and floor height. my cabling runs through a loose zip tie on the top box and out the bottom. This will allow me to pull up the cabling I need for the top later on. The close up is showing you a run on a wall that will get spray-foam (theater wall). I had to choose what I wanted on top and bottom ahead of time because the foam locks all the cabling in, so you see 4 cat-6, 1 RG-6, and an HDMI hanging out of the top and the remaining 2 cat-6 and RG-6 running along the left stud going to the bottom box. What you dont see is the LV conduit that got run from the ceiling to the top box and another run from the top box to the bottom box for expansion that was done prior to the foam being sprayed.

And day two of the pre-wire. This went extremely smooth because of careful planning and buying unique colored cable for each drop. This allowed me to pull everything together and mark the entire drop with a single label. The blue-grey on the left is all my ethernet/phone. The white/yellow is the Nuvo. The multicolor bundles are the video drops, and the pure white is 14/2 going to the 5:1 zones for the theater and living room.

Ill post lessons learned and some additional info tomorrow. This was possible because of the help of lots of guys on this forum, I cant thank you enough. We are getting close to completion and Ill be terminating everything and installing the rack in a few weeks. Ill continue to update this thread as we move along.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page