Airplay systems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

New to the forums so if this is in the wrong section feel free to move it.

So the time has come for me to purchase a wireless audio system of some sort. Currently I'm looking at getting an airplay system as it seems to be the way to go for wireless and future whole home music and video options. I've looked into Sonos a bit as well but don't know that much about the system and i have an iphone4 and will likely continue with iphones in the future. The main reason why i'm looking at wireless is because i would like to be able to keep my phone on me so i can answer emails, texts, surf the net, and have the ability to change songs etc.

The first system will be for the bedroom, and as such i'm looking for something that has very clean and clear sound at lower volumes, but will still pump when need be. So far i've been thinking of getting the following.

Denon RCD-N7 but not sure what speakers to pair with them.

The Libratones aren't out yet but they are one sexy looking speaker! no idea what they sound like so if anybody has and experience with them the feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Zeppelin Air has crossed my mind however from reading a few reviews it sounds like its a bit of a base monster and that's not really what i want for this system.

Klipsch also has the G-17 that's due out soon and might be worth a look as well.

Any others systems that are coming down the pipe or others out right now that i should be considering?

In the future i'll be setting up a surround sound system for movies etc in the den, and possibly one on the main floor as well, i would also like that system to be airplay compatible so i can easily switch from listening to music from upstairs to downstairs...which if i understand correctly is the whole point of airplay...or am i out to lunch and should i be looking into sonos more?

thanks for the advice and help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Sonos provide a Free App for use with iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad.

At home we have a mix of Sonos ( CR100 and CR200) and Apple devices to control an 8 Zone system with Local Sources (PS3) plugged into 4 of the Zone Players plus 1 Zone player plugged as a Source to the main 2-channel Hi-Fi and another Zone Player plugged as a Source to our 5.1 AVR.

I'd find it difficult convincing the family to switch to using anything other than Sonos!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #3 of 11 Old 08-13-2011, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We have seven zones and two of those zones have surround sound. In those rooms I use a Niles SAS-1 for auto switching to Sonos. I really love thus system when I use the iPhone/iPad app. The convenience is great. I also just set up an old Airport Express I had as an additional airplay device with Sonos. So now if there is any audio I have on the iPhone, I can airplay to the Sonos.

As for sound, I think it's fantastic. In the theater area, it obviously sounds great, analog or digital, if the new ones still have optical out. Other ares are fine as well. Would any sysytem benefit from 150 W vs. 50 W, maybe. But with the right speakers it's great. I have one ZP100 powering outdoor speakers on the patio and its enough. While I could use a few more speakers out there, the sound is clean and the low end is fine. You can add a sub if you want, mine have a sub-out jack. Good luck.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

hmmm, this is going to make me do a little more research into sonos then.

One thing i like about airplay is that i'm not limited just the look of the sonos speakers, so depending on the decor of the room i can find a system that either blends in or stands out. Also for the home theater i can then pick up an airplay compliant receiver and have everything run through that to the tv. So while the sonos look good i like variety.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-14-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Sonos have four Zone Player's to choose from - only two of them (Play:5 and Play:3) include a 'speaker'!

The other units can work with pretty much any Speaker system you choose to partner them with!

Get some 'hands on' time with a Sonos system and you'll soon understand why folk love it's simplicity.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #6 of 11 Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There aren't many receivers with AirPlay built-in. Marantz and Denon have models which, for an extra $50, are compatible. The following site lists a few more options:

http://www.airplaycompatible.com/

The Airport Express, however, is well regarded. Tiny device that you plug into the wall and then run an analog or optical audio cable to the receiver of your choice. $100 each.

Craig
post #7 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Here is my plan:

I want 4 zones and want the same source to one or all.

I am thinking
-One Central Apple TV
- An Optical>Stero R/L Converter
- Some Unknown Amp
- 4 Impedance Matching Volume Controllers

I figure that I can use my multiple Apple phones to airplay to the Apple TV. If the user wants audio in that room they will turn the knob on.

What is a simple=cheaper Amp that can power the 4 zones?

Is there anything I am missing?
post #8 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1564 View Post

-One Central Apple TV
- 4 Impedance Matching Volume Controllers

I figure that I can use my multiple Apple phones to airplay to the Apple TV. If the user wants audio in that room they will turn the knob on.

If this is audio-only, why an AppleTV rather than an Airport Express?

Suppose somebody turns on music and somebody else in another zone is jarred (awake?) to find out they forgot to turn down the volume when they finished using it the last time. Besides, mixing hard-wire and hand-held control just feels wrong to me!

Craig
post #9 of 11 Old 09-30-2011, 08:51 PM

Is an airport express capable of AirPlay?
post #10 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

Yes, Airport Express i capable of Airport. The uses an Airport Express in many of our multiroom installs just to give the customer an Airport Source in the system.

// Conny
post #11 of 11 Old 10-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zellarman View Post

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=airport+express+airplay&l=1
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Libratone

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page