Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 117 Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2jet View Post
So a balun that runs from the avr hdmi out to the wall plate will be sufficient... hopefully one with emitters..?
I also own an AA DuoDrive 9870 with two wall plates if I am convinced component is fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 117 Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

My thread has lost momentum, for which I take complete responsibility.

I got hung up on the "contoller" (IR) part of the configuration.

Im begging? :P
post #93 of 117 Old 09-17-2011, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:

My thread has lost momentum, for which I take complete responsibility.

I got hung up on the "contoller" (IR) part of the configuration.

Im begging? :P

Sorry to hear about your complications, but must say, sounds like a hell of a lot you've taken on - be proud of that...

Absolutely nothing wrong with delaying the A/V distribution. Many times we've told folks to worry about the wiring and forget the gear until later. You've got the wiring set, the rest can come any time. And yes, slow down and be able to take it all in over time - get the basics running, adopt more later...

For the living room control and HDMI, two easy options:

1) Pick an HDMI balun with built-in IR repeating. I haven't used any of these directly, but the Intelix is mentioned a lot. There are cheaper units, too - can't vouch for any of them. The Xantech unit would be another one to look at, but it's IR solution assumes you have external Xantech IR pieces...

2) Pick any HDMI balun, and use an RF remote or a separate IR repeater on one of your other cat5 links. This is probably the cheapest route.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #94 of 117 Old 09-17-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Sorry to hear about your complications, but must say, sounds like a hell of a lot you've taken on - be proud of that...

Absolutely nothing wrong with delaying the A/V distribution. Many times we've told folks to worry about the wiring and forget the gear until later. You've got the wiring set, the rest can come any time. And yes, slow down and be able to take it all in over time - get the basics running, adopt more later...

For the living room control and HDMI, two easy options:

1) Pick an HDMI balun with built-in IR repeating. I haven't used any of these directly, but the Intelix is mentioned a lot. There are cheaper units, too - can't vouch for any of them. The Xantech unit would be another one to look at, but it's IR solution assumes you have external Xantech IR pieces...

2) Pick any HDMI balun, and use an RF remote or a separate IR repeater on one of your other cat5 links. This is probably the cheapest route.

Jeff

Hey, Hi Jeff.

I guess I'm really not understanding something about IR. Is that one Repeater on the unit or a cat5 going to be able to control all of the devices hanging off of the AVR?

Thanks
post #95 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

I'm softly "nudging" my thread as opposed to "bumping".

Here's where everything stands.

Big Picture -

I have 6 "zones"
I own an AA AVM-562 with an 1176 expander. (Component over Cat 5e)
I own a URC MRF-350 and the RF antenna (but no remotes yet)
I have 4 CAT5e drops to each location and 2 cat6 drops to each.
I pulled a legacy coax to each in the event I sell the home and the new owner isn't interested in AV Distribution.

One of the six zones is my LR and will be HDMI separated from the rest of the system other than "control".
That part of the system will have independent sources all passed through an AVR (Dune HD Max with Blu Ray Player installed, Yammy Ipod Dock, Tivo or other DVR with cable).
This area has 7.1 with additional front Presence Speakers.

The rest (5) zones will have access to:

3 - DVR with Cable (Probably TIVO)
1 - Dune HD Max with Blu Ray Installed
1 - Standalone Blu-Ray Player

So... there you have it.

Things I know I need:

3 More AA "Wallplates"
Set of HDMI over CAT5e or CAT6 Baluns for the LR (closing in on 100')
Remotes
IR Blasters, etc.
Programming of Control

This project started with a 2000 budget, I'm staring at at least 5k now.

Questions are:

Any obvious holes in my plan?
Which Remotes for the URC MRF-350 (don't want to spend a fortune... but want an awesome one for at least the LR)

How to run the IR system... how to wire it all.
How to program the IR system...

How to incorporate the Dunes on my computer network to transfer media to them locally...

Hi Mike and Jeff.... thank you for everything. I'm doing this finally!

Kind regards,

Rich
post #96 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Thinking about the IR, since you've got an unused zone available on the AVAtrix, and have plenty of cat5 to the Living Room, just buy one more AA wallplate and use it for IR. You'd also have component video from the matrix in case any of your sources doesn't allow for simultaneous component and HDMI output.

Then all zones are controlled the same way, through the AVAtrix - you just have an additional HDMI run to the Living Room. This prevents the issues of controlling the multiple set-top boxes, since the AVAtrix has IR routing. Also means you can buy a less-expensive HDMI-over-cat5 solution, since you don't need one with IR. Cost of the AA wallplate, probably comes out a wash...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #97 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff!

Quote:

Thinking about the IR, since you've got an unused zone available on the AVAtrix, and have plenty of cat5 to the Living Room, just buy one more AA wallplate and use it for IR. You'd also have component video from the matrix in case any of your sources doesn't allow for simultaneous component and HDMI output.

The last part is confusing. I am running the LR independent from the HDMI out on my AVR over balun to the zone. I guess maybe I've missed an opportunity here... can you elaborate?

Then all zones are controlled the same way, through the AVAtrix - you just have an additional HDMI run to the Living Room. This prevents the issues of controlling the multiple set-top boxes, since the AVAtrix has IR routing. Also means you can buy a less-expensive HDMI-over-cat5 solution, since you don't need one with IR. Cost of the AA wallplate, probably comes out a wash...

You say all the zones are then controlled through the Matrix... by control, you're referring to system distribution or RF/IR control?

I think of everything involved here I am most confused about "wireless remote control of each zone and source". Maybe you can be a tad more detailed about how that works and what role my URC MRF-350 Base Station integrates. I"m truly lost on that.

Thanks a ton Jeff... although I'm probably being a pain, your efforts are greatly appreciated and you've helped immensely thus far... this system will be up and going in less than two weeks a lot of that has to do with your advice and knowledge.

Kind regards,

Rich

post #98 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The last part is confusing. I am running the LR independent from the HDMI out on my AVR over balun to the zone. I guess maybe I've missed an opportunity here... can you elaborate?

I was talking about the video sources themselves (set-top box, etc.). Some products won't produce HDMI and component video output at the same time, although this is fairly rare these days... But if one of your sources had that issue, you would have the Component signal to the LR "just in case".

Quote:
You say all the zones are then controlled through the Matrix... by control, you're referring to system distribution or RF/IR control?

Yes. Control of the distribution system and the sources.

Quote:
I think of everything involved here I am most confused about "wireless remote control of each zone and source". Maybe you can be a tad more detailed about how that works and what role my URC MRF-350 Base Station integrates. I"m truly lost on that.

I forgot about your RF basestation. But since the AVAtrix has built-in IR routing, and the wallplates have inputs for IR receivers, using those capabilities is probably a better path. Since you don't have the remote(s) yet, sticking with IR (instead of RF) is cheaper and gives you a lot more options. For example, I use a $20 URC WR7 in many of my zones. Not as easy to use as a Harmony or more powerful URC solution would be, though...

Take a look at the manual for the AVAtrix - you'll see a lot of info about IR routing. You'll need to pick up some IR receivers for each zone, but that's all the equipment you'd need. The AVAtrix does the rest...

Jeff

post #99 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I was talking about the video sources themselves (set-top box, etc.). Some products won't produce HDMI and component video output at the same time, although this is fairly rare these days... But if one of your sources had that issue, you would have the Component signal to the LR "just in case".

Got it! What I thought you meant!

Yes. Control of the distribution system and the sources.

I forgot about your RF basestation. But since the AVAtrix has built-in IR routing, and the wallplates have inputs for IR receivers, using those capabilities is probably a better path. Since you don't have the remote(s) yet, sticking with IR (instead of RF) is cheaper and gives you a lot more options. For example, I use a $20 URC WR7 in many of my zones. Not as easy to use as a Harmony or more powerful URC solution would be, though...

I could maybe use the RF for one remote for the LR.

Here... I guess.... is where I was confused... Way back when in this post Mike was referring to one-way versus 2-way capabilities of the IR... this was when we were talking about whether I should buy the IR routers from the friend I got my matrix from... Now, I'm gathering that with the wallplates (have IR built in) and all the CAT wire... I have a way to send the IR signal from the remote to a receiver through the wallplate back to the matrix and out to the source via an emitter... ? Amazing... I save a crapload of money this way!!!

So, other than the additional wallplates and IR emitters and receivers I am set?

Take a look at the manual for the AVAtrix - you'll see a lot of info about IR routing. You'll need to pick up some IR receivers for each zone, but that's all the equipment you'd need. The AVAtrix does the rest...

Jeff

Thanks!

Rich
post #100 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, other than the additional wallplates and IR emitters and receivers I am set?

Terminology (since it's confusing):

IR Receiver = Thing you stick on the TV to catch IR signals from a remote - requires DC power, plugs into an IR In wallplate or connecting block.

IR Emitter = Small "flasher" placed in front of a component that emits IR signals received elsewhere.

So yes, you'll need both IR Receivers (for each zone), and some emitters for the components back in the closet.

As for using the RF remote for your Living Room - the problem is that you have to get the received RF signal to the components. You'd lose the IR routing and have to either duplicate it, or ensure that all of your settop boxes are programmed independently. Setting different box codes can fix that on many devices (TiVo, DirecTV, etc.) but then *EVERY* remote has to understand that. Much more complicated, and again, defeats the IR routing function that solves this problem to begin with...

Jeff

post #101 of 117 Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sounds like Jeff has you covered on the distribution and IR. You asked about the Dunes (sounds like you will have 2 - one shared and another for the living room?). Anyway, I assume you are asking how to copy files from your pc to the Dune hard drives? Your Dune(s) will be networked anyway (connected via ethernet to your router). Once you have the hard drives in the Dune(s) and setup for storage, you should be able to browse to the Dune from your PC and copy/paste files. There are some posts in the Dune threads on this forum that discuss this in more detail - though if I recall correctly, that file transfer can be slow depending on your network. I think one of the posts discussed how to put the hard drive into a local drive dock on your pc, copy files, then put it back into the Dune, but I'm not sure. I use a server, so I don't copy anything locally to my Dune (other than the media index).
post #102 of 117 Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Sounds like Jeff has you covered on the distribution and IR. You asked about the Dunes (sounds like you will have 2 - one shared and another for the living room?). Anyway, I assume you are asking how to copy files from your pc to the Dune hard drives? Your Dune(s) will be networked anyway (connected via ethernet to your router). Once you have the hard drives in the Dune(s) and setup for storage, you should be able to browse to the Dune from your PC and copy/paste files. There are some posts in the Dune threads on this forum that discuss this in more detail - though if I recall correctly, that file transfer can be slow depending on your network. I think one of the posts discussed how to put the hard drive into a local drive dock on your pc, copy files, then put it back into the Dune, but I'm not sure. I use a server, so I don't copy anything locally to my Dune (other than the media index).

Thanks Mike... I know you're a fan of Dune... I mostly looking to play backups of my Blu Ray and DVD collection. Is Dune "the" way to go?
post #103 of 117 Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks Mike... I know you're a fan of Dune... I mostly looking to play backups of my Blu Ray and DVD collection. Is Dune "the" way to go?

That is a very subjective question. Having owned an older HDX-1000 (knockoff of the PCH A110), I prefer the Dune. BUT it depends on what you want to accomplish. How will you rip your discs? If you are doing full rips (meaning either full movie or full disc in ISO, BDMV, or MKV or similar container format), and keeping the highest audio codecs (like DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD), then I'd say the choices come down to the Dune and PCH products as the leaders. However, if you are going to do conversions of your discs to something like AVI or whatnot (i.e., re-encode your movies to more compressed formats), then you can use something less expensive. There is also the Netgear NEO NTV550, which seems to have a love/hate relationship with many of its users based on the forum here, but can also play the above mentioned formats.

So, how are you planning to rip and store your movies? How big is your collection? Do you want a pretty GUI interface (i.e., movie cover view) or just a simple list of folders/files to play? How much work will you be willing to put in to get the pretty GUI? These all play a factor in which product is best for you.

Also, you might consider splitting this part of your question out and posting over in the networking, media servers and streamers forum, as (1) it won't derail this existing distribution thread, and (2) you will get exposure to lots of folks (like dbone1026) who know much about these and probably don't look often in this part of the forum posts.
post #104 of 117 Old 10-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I don't use the IR functionality of my Aviatrix, so I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but I was under the impression that the Aviatrix's IR control was limited to 6 source input controls along with control of the Aviatrix itself (primarily because when you look at the back of the unit, you have one IR connection from each of the 6 source inputs + one at the AA unit level (which i believe blasts "all"). From my count above, it looks like he's got at least 7, maybe 8 sources to control + the Aviatrix (and multiple copies of the same product as well). Can he really use the IR pass-through of the AA unit to control all of this?

I think I may have steered him toward the URC setup because he's going to have multiple copies of the same products (i.e., multiple Tivo's, maybe multiple Dunes), and I wasn't sure that using the AA would completely avoid crosstalk because of the limited number of IR outs. If the AA IR distribution will work, then that's great and is a massive cost savings, but I didn't think it would?
post #105 of 117 Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike

Quote:

That is a very subjective question. Having owned an older HDX-1000 (knockoff of the PCH A110), I prefer the Dune. BUT it depends on what you want to accomplish. How will you rip your discs? If you are doing full rips (meaning either full movie or full disc in ISO, BDMV, or MKV or similar container format), and keeping the highest audio codecs (like DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD), then I'd say the choices come down to the Dune and PCH products as the leaders. However, if you are going to do conversions of your discs to something like AVI or whatnot (i.e., re-encode your movies to more compressed formats), then you can use something less expensive. There is also the Netgear NEO NTV550, which seems to have a love/hate relationship with many of its users based on the forum here, but can also play the above mentioned formats.

So, how are you planning to rip and store your movies? How big is your collection? Do you want a pretty GUI interface (i.e., movie cover view) or just a simple list of folders/files to play? How much work will you be willing to put in to get the pretty GUI? These all play a factor in which product is best for you.

Between Blu Ray (close to 250 titles) and DVD, I have about 700. Not all of which I would rip. I use a subscription copy DVDXCopy to rip to ISO. I love a neat organized GUI with covers. I don't mind the work, I treat it like a hobby.

I'm definitely leaning toward the Dune line or PCH for the full menu and sound processing.

Also, you might consider splitting this part of your question out and posting over in the networking, media servers and streamers forum, as (1) it won't derail this existing distribution thread, and (2) you will get exposure to lots of folks (like dbone1026) who know much about these and probably don't look often in this part of the forum posts.

post #106 of 117 Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Jeff, I don't use the IR functionality of my Aviatrix, so I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but I was under the impression that the Aviatrix's IR control was limited to 6 source input controls along with control of the Aviatrix itself (primarily because when you look at the back of the unit, you have one IR connection from each of the 6 source inputs + one at the AA unit level (which i believe blasts "all"). From my count above, it looks like he's got at least 7, maybe 8 sources to control + the Aviatrix (and multiple copies of the same product as well). Can he really use the IR pass-through of the AA unit to control all of this?

I think I may have steered him toward the URC setup because he's going to have multiple copies of the same products (i.e., multiple Tivo's, maybe multiple Dunes), and I wasn't sure that using the AA would completely avoid crosstalk because of the limited number of IR outs. If the AA IR distribution will work, then that's great and is a massive cost savings, but I didn't think it would?

Does the fact that I'll be somewhat isolating the living room via hdmi over CAT via sources run through my AVR and maybe adding IR to the balun change any of your thinking Mike?
post #107 of 117 Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Does the fact that I'll be somewhat isolating the living room via hdmi over CAT via sources run through my AVR and maybe adding IR to the balun change any of your thinking Mike?

Actually yes. If you plan to run two separate (in a sense) ir routes (1 thru aviatrix + 1 thru LR hdmi then I think you can cover them all in that setup. I thought Jeff was suggesting you use an aviatrix wall plate in LR to run ir back and i think that confused me. Almost time for another diagram!!!
post #108 of 117 Old 10-11-2011, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Actually yes. If you plan to run two separate (in a sense) ir routes (1 thru aviatrix + 1 thru LR hdmi then I think you can cover them all in that setup. I thought Jeff was suggesting you use an aviatrix wall plate in LR to run ir back and i think that confused me. Almost time for another diagram!!!

Thanks Mike. Yes, Jeff did suggest the avatrix wallplate for the IR solution to the living room.

Maybe Jeff can chime in. I'm scooping up Harmony One remotes on ebay.

Still need to find some good IR receivers and emitters.

Have a good day!
post #109 of 117 Old 10-11-2011, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The source IR outputs need to be used for those duplicate sources to avoid conflicts, but any number of devices could hang off the "all IR" output. Assuming it works like most other products, the "all" output just gets anything received by any IR input. The AA shouldn't even know what the codes are... It's only repeating, and selectively turning on IR outputs...

Jeff

post #110 of 117 Old 10-13-2011, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The source IR outputs need to be used for those duplicate sources to avoid conflicts, but any number of devices could hang off the "all IR" output. Assuming it works like most other products, the "all" output just gets anything received by any IR input. The AA shouldn't even know what the codes are... It's only repeating, and selectively turning on IR outputs...

Jeff

Jeff... Thanks.

I'm gathering IR Receivers and emitters. Anything I should be looking for particularly. I assume these should be singles. I'm wanting to buy from a reliable source (obviously).

Thanks again,

Rich
post #111 of 117 Old 10-13-2011, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jeff... Thanks.

I'm gathering IR Receivers and emitters. Anything I should be looking for particularly. I assume these should be singles. I'm wanting to buy from a reliable source (obviously).

Thanks again,

Rich

Only important thing is if you have LCD (non LED) or plasma displays - then look for receivers that are made to handle interference from the CFL/plasma...

Dual emitters are fine, but can be a pain to organize neatly...

post #112 of 117 Old 10-13-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Only important thing is if you have LCD (non LED) or plasma displays - then look for receivers that are made to handle interference from the CFL/plasma...

Dual emitters are fine, but can be a pain to organize neatly...

Thanks again (and again) Jeff.

I'm not sure I even understand the reason for dual emitters for my project.

I'm missing something, aren't I?

As for receivers and emitters... is there a brand that people like. I would think it would be very irritating to have this whole grand plan failing because of the cheapest part of the project. Make sense?

Thanks,

Rich
post #113 of 117 Old 10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I even understand the reason for dual emitters for my project.

if you need multiple devices controlled from say the "main IR" output, dual emitters allow you to hit two devices without going through connecting blocks, Etc.

Quote:

As for receivers and emitters... is there a brand that people like.

For receivers I like Xantech, but probably others that are cheaper will work, too. Emitters are easy...

Jeff

post #114 of 117 Old 10-14-2011, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'm feeling like I'm at the point of needing a diagram.

Here is the setup as it evolved.

Avatrix AVM-562 Matrix
6-Zones

1 Balun set for HDMI over Cat6 to LR (Duplicated at AVM-562 over component - see Jeff's post re: IR)

Sources

Yammy Receiver with the following hung off of it's HDMI Inputs
-Cable DVR/DirectTVDVR or Tivo with Cable Cards
-Dune HD Max with HDrive and BluRayPlayer Installed (Networked)

Sources that connect to the Matrix
3 -Cable DVR/DirectTVDVR or Tivo with Cable Cards
1 -Dune (model undecided)
1 -BluRay Player

I have gathered 2 Harmony One Remotes and continue to gather.

LR is 9.1 (Includes two front Yammy presence speakers)

I need a rack solution and my home network (wired and wireless)

I have gaming systems I will use locally at zones.

Thanks!

Rich
post #115 of 117 Old 10-29-2011, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

I've continued to gather remotes and bought an awesome Royal Rack system. I also got the HDMI Balun set (without IR) (since I'll have an Audio Authority wallplate (9880) in the LR as "backup".

I am really struggling with the IR setup... nothing's wrong yet, just having a hard time figuring this out in my head.

I guess I am hung up on the "matrixing" of the IR signal. I will have 1 receiver at each zone plugged into the wallplate... the IR signal passes through the cat5e's into the AVM-562 matrix... now is where I am lost... I will have emitters from the matrix back to the sources... I guess I'm thinking that the IR isn't "matrixed" and will only control the source that is attached to that I/O on the matrix (they're numbered of course)...

Then the LR is "both" component (via wallplate and AVM matrix) and HDMI via balun... so the IR will travel via the path above and I was going to use the ALL input on the AVM for that room... (emitted out to the AVR). I also was going to hook the AVR via component to the matrix and via hdmi to the balun...

For me that's a lot to process, but I've made it this far.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Rich
post #116 of 117 Old 10-29-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I guess I'm thinking that the IR isn't "matrixed" and will only control the source that is attached to that I/O on the matrix (they're numbered of course)...

Well, that's correct, but it is "matrixed" so to speak. Better to say that the IR signal received from a zone is routed ONLY to the source currently selected by that zone.

Quote:

Then the LR is "both" component (via wallplate and AVM matrix) and HDMI via balun... so the IR will travel via the path above and I was going to use the ALL input on the AVM for that room... (emitted out to the AVR). I also was going to hook the AVR via component to the matrix and via hdmi to the balun...

Almost got it. As far as the AVAtrix knows, the Living Room is just another zone (shhh - don't tell it you're just using the IR routing!), so the Living Room's IR signals will be routed to whatever source you've selected.

You'll route IR to the AVR back in the closet using the "All Out" IR jack on the AA, as you want the AVR to get a signal regardless of which source is selected (and you'll only get AVR commands from the living room remote).

The trick - your remote in the living room will need to select the source on the AVAtrix in addition to the HDMI source on the AVR. The audio/video is coming from the AVR, but IR control of the source is switched via the AVAtrix. Shouldn't be a big deal for a Harmony or any macro-capable remote.

Hope that clears it up - you're getting real close!

Jeff

post #117 of 117 Old 10-29-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff! I"m digesting that last part.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page