NetStream Questions for a new apartment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a new apartment and want to have multi-room video and audio integrated into the rooms.. I have looked at Vidabox Liiv controller, Sonos, Nuvo and Netstreams. I am leaning toward netstreams, but I am struggling to understand some of the components and if I really need them

For example, the installer is including the DigiLinx TH-100 Hometheatre Bridge. When I read the netstreams PDF about this product, it basiclly just brings audio from the home theater AVR to the Digilinx system. Why would I want this? I want to send audio to my home theater system AVR from NAS, not take from Home theater and send to other rooms. Secondly, this device does not stream video content from a NAS to the TV as far as I can see - correct? What components do I need to stream the mkv, avi, iso and other video files from my nas to my home theater?

The DigiLinx TLA-250 TouchLinx is also being suggested but at a cost of 2000 USD per piece. This is far more than Nuvo, Casatunes or any other OLED control pad. Sure the amp is built into the key pad, but that is a lot for basic multi-room audio. What have you guys done for this area?

Finally, the installer has proposed the Naim Uniti Serve SSD Audioserver this will allow me to access and stream my digital audio files to my home theater and to the netstream controlled multi-room speakers. So I have to ask again, what does functionality and role does the DigiLinx TH-100 Hometheatre Bridge play in my setup?

There is no mention of a Netstreams music manager or the new Anthology . I like the idea of Netstreams, but I am not seeing where the added value is compared to Revox, or Vidabox for 3d and video streaming combined with Nuvo or casa tunes for audio. Can you guys enligten me on what I am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 AM

When you say you are building a new appartment, do you mean that the walls are open and you run new wires easily? or are the walls already finished? That will make a huge difference to the responses you will be getting.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

walls are open. They have not yet started digging the cellar yet so everything is wide open
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM

Ok, so how many rooms do you want to distribute audio? How many of the rooms require video? How many will have multi-channel audio (5.1 or 7.1)? How many sources will you have? Are all sources going to be centrally located? Do all the video locations have the same resolution (ex: 1080P)? For video, what would be the longest length of cable required from the source to the display?
And finally what is your budget? and do you already own some equipment or are we going from scratch?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post

Ok, so how many rooms do you want to distribute audio? How many of the rooms require video? How many will have multi-channel audio (5.1 or 7.1)? How many sources will you have? Are all sources going to be centrally located? Do all the video locations have the same resolution (ex: 1080P)? For video, what would be the longest length of cable required from the source to the display?
And finally what is your budget? and do you already own some equipment or are we going from scratch?

Wow thanks for the offer of help and support.

Audio Desires:
  • 6 Zones of inceiling speakers
  • 6 zones of amplication needed to drive the speakers
  • 1 zone (home theater) needed - would be input to my AVR and Amps for audio
streaming

Video desires:
  • cabling to 5 zones for video streaming
  • 2 zones would go live with video streaming upon move in...others would follow as needed
  • all media servers and streaming devices in media closet
  • video resolution should be 1080i or 1080p
I own a TV and home theater stuff, but other rooms will be built from scratch with inceiling speakers.

As for budget, I estimated $10,000 for multi-room audio and to stream video to 2 TV units. Not sure how accurate that is, but your advice would be helpful to set expectations.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM

ok, one last set of questions:

1. In each audio zone do you expect to be able to select source & set volume?

2. In each video zone, do you expect to be able to select source?

3. One question you did not answer: How long would the video cabling be to each TV location?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Canuck_fr, here are some answers. Thanks for the support and follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck_fr View Post

ok, one last set of questions:

1. In each audio zone do you expect to be able to select source & set volume?
that would be good. Although I expect only 2 sources mainly ( Internet radio and my nas). Volume is needed.

2. In each video zone, do you expect to be able to select source?
Yes I would want to be able to stream, watch sat or cable from each location.

3. One question you did not answer: How long would the video cabling be to each TV location?

As for the length of video cable, I expect to have each tv next to the wall outlets where I would have the cable, sat and whatever device would stream media to the tv. So I guess the max hdmi cable I would have is 10 foot (3 meters).

Thanks again
post #8 of 9 Old 09-01-2011, 07:55 PM

ok,

Here is what I would do:

1. Multi-room audio:
Purchase a system from Sonos or the Lync 6 system from Home Theater direct for 6 zones. I would also recommend purchasing the ACE 800 8 inch in ceiling speakers from Outdoor speaker depot. My personal preference is the Lync system from HTD, because I think it has alot of bang for the buck. Both of these would allow for your 2 sources and allow for future additions to your sources. The Lync system also allows for local sources to be connected in each room. Both of these would allow for each room to select their own source and control volume. For HTD this would cost 2 000 total, for the Sonos, expect to spend a little more money.

Multi-room video:

I would purchase a 4x4 HDMI video matrix from Monoprice. This will allow you to stream video to each room with the ability for each room to choose their own source. This might not be the best option going forward, but for the price will allow you to do what you want. I would wire each TV location with the following: 7 (yes 7) Cat 5-6 cables, and one HDMI + 1 RG6. I would also allow for a conduit to be placed for future proofing.

As for the rest of the budget, I would spend on your sources to be connected to your video & audio multi-room systems.

Sounds like fun. If you have any other questions, I will be out of town for the next 10 days... Hopefully others will pick up where I left off.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Netstreams is a different beast than the Lync system. It is much more robust:

It shows the ID3 tag information on its touchscreens, as well as any Flash-enabled device on the network.

It has an iTouch/iPhone controller software option

It controls lighting and IP cameras

The Anthology (releasing in November) indexes unlimited songs on a NAS drive (plays MP# and WAV - I think maybe the new unit will play other codecs) and streams internet radio.

Sound quality is absolutely superb.

I went through some headaches with my original Digilinx system (4 years ago), but everything has been stable for quite some time, and I do like it.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page