YAMAHA RX-V867 (HDMI2) to Projector sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

I tried looking for a solution but have yet to find one in these forums.

I just purchased the optoma HD20 from woot for a low cost theater in my basement. I also have a meritline dual cat5e hdmi extender laying around. My question:

Will it work for me to use the 2nd HDMI out from my YAMAHA RX-V867 upstairs, which has all of my components hooked up (bluray, xbox360, boxee, etc.) and use the hdmi extender to get the video and sound to the projector? The projector does not have audio out, so I'm in a dilemma how I want to hook up sound. I plan on having a simple 5.1 setup downstairs.

Are my options to run just a stereo cable from the 867 downstairs to the other receiver and lose all digital sound? I don't believe the 867 has optical out, and that would be one expensive cable to get to the basement receiver.

Would it work to run from YAMAHA RX-V867 (hdmi2out) --> hdmi extender (dual cat 5e) --> YAMAHA RX-V371 (hdmi1in) :: YAMAHA RX-V371 (hdmiOut) -->Projector ?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

The HDMI connection from the first receiver to the second receiver and from the second receiver to the projector should work (but as in all things HDMI you never know for sure until you try it). That means the first receiver likely has to be powered on whenever you use the connection.

Carl
Curmudgeon Elektroniker
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsreid View Post

Would it work to run from YAMAHA RX-V867 (hdmi2out) --> hdmi extender (dual cat 5e) --> YAMAHA RX-V371 (hdmi1in) :: YAMAHA RX-V371 (hdmiOut) -->Projector ?

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

^^That MAY work. The issue I would be concerned with is multiple devices strung together and the HDCP handshake getting fouled up along the chain, resulting in NO signal. Best suggestion is to put them all in one room (that is, mock the setup) and try it before you start installing everything in permanent placement. Hook the projector and speakers to the 371 in your existing upstairs room, connect via hdmi as you outline (use some cat5 patch cables to do the "extender" run on the floor) and see what happens. If it works there, no real reason it shouldn't work when you run the real wiring to downstairs.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, that is what I planned on doing, however, I currently don't own the Yamaha 371, I saw it on sale at newegg for $190 and thought that it would work , but wasn't sure.

I currently own a older Pioneer 5.1 receiver with no HDMI in or out. So first was hoping to get an answer before I go ahead and buy another receiver.. lol.

And yeah, that was my assumption..HMI extenders are always different with each situation from what I have read.. Thinking about just getting the receiver and giving it a go. I might just hook bluray directly to the 371 if there was HDCP problems, wouldn't think that my xbox or boxee would have any hdcp problems..
post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This may be an alternative to trying to pass the HDMI signal between two AVRs.
http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvprod...p?prod_id=9164

You could use your old Pioneer from there.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Yamaha Rx V867 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V867 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page