Extending PC Display & Components Over Cat6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tried searching and haven't seen an exact answer here to what I'm looking for. Apologies if this actually was already addressed somewhere.

I would like to extend my PC desktop over my local ethernet in my home here. I currently have:

- 2 x CAT6 Drops, 50 feet distance end to end.

Over these two CAT6 LAN drops, I would like to extend from my PC the following:

- DVI display 1920x1200 (single display only needed)
- Stereo Audio
- USB for 3 ports: keyboard, mouse, midi controller

I've found various potential solutions, such as the AdderLink Infinity extender, or the SmartAVI DVX-2P.

I've also seen other products that are CAT5, but I would like something that takes advantage of the CAT6 wiring I have installed.

I'm sure I'm not the first to attempt a setup like this, so am looking for feedback, experience, and suggestions.

Thanks much.

- Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 217
www.gefen.com

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 12 Old 09-25-2011, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Glimmie.

The Gefen "Computer Extension Wizard" was interesting, hadn't seen that before. However, I still don't see a solution on their site for what I'm looking for i.e. all three over 2 x Cat6: DVI, Audio, and USB (3 ports).

I also would like to know if anyone else has attempted the same thing and what their experience was.

- Andrew
post #4 of 12 Old 09-25-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydor01 View Post

I've also seen other products that are CAT5, but I would like something that takes advantage of the CAT6 wiring I have installed.

Anything designed for Cat 5 will work with Cat 6, and you might even get ever so slightly better maximum distance out of it.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If nothing else if you can find a way to get DVI and USB over 2x Cat6, then you can use a USB audio device to provide audio ... but otherwise might be asking too much. Heck if you didn't want some serious performance issues you could do all over USB, with a USB video "card"
post #6 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I'm sure COD would work just fine with the USB video card .

Interesting about the audio however. One of my recent purchases was actually a USB based audio card, as I wanted the option to take the high performance audio mobile. For some reason, I didn't even think of placing it on the receiving end instead of trying to push all the audio through ethernet.

Effective throughput of USB 2.0 is around 60MBs, so would think that would be enough for all four USB streams: kbd, mouse, midi controller, AND audio. Definitely simplifies the options.

Still would like to hear some experiences with doing something similar. I'll start checking into the DVI/USB option as well. Thanks.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

trying to push all the audio through ethernet.

Are you looking for an IP based device or just extending KVM over cat5?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-26-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not set on either one, basically which ever works best. It's a set of dedicated lines, they're not part of a switched network, so theoretically it could be a non-IP extension of some sort.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I'd post an update. I had hoped to get more feedback here, but I guess what I was trying to do isn't as common as I thought.

So, I have my set up running now, and I'm actually typing this from my living room in front of my Samsung 40" LED tv on a wireless keyboard. I'll list what I have set up.

First, I sent inquires to 4 different companies asking for recommendations, and ONLY Techorium responded, and quite promptly too. Naturally, they are the ones that got my business. Was very disappointed with the lack of response from the other three.

Here's what I have set up:

NTI DVI Extender with Stereo Audio
Icron USB 2.0 Ranger 2204 - 4 port USB 2.0 Cat5 Extender

Each device I have connected to its own dedicated Cat6 drop, running approx 50ft to the upstairs PC.

My resolution is 1680x1050 (my video card doesn't support 1900x1200, only 1900x1080, which distorts with a too-wide display). I currently have both keyboard and mouse running through the USB hub. Audio is coming through a separate connection on the DVI extender.

I haven't tried connecting my audio card through the USB extender yet, will attempt that soon. It was for the audio card purposes that I got a USB 2.0 version instead of a USB 1.1 extender. Big jump in price let me tell you, but I needed the extra bandwidth.

So what are the results after running this set up for two weeks now? Beautiful. I often forget that my PC is actually upstairs. There is a miniscule delay in video/usb performance, but I only notice it if I pay attention. I've even tried playing Torchlight with this setup. Again there is the odd artifact that shows up in rendering, but for the most part its smooth.

One very minor drawback, there is no monitor detection with this set up, presumably because the DDC info isn't sent through a single-cat5 type device. I had to manually adjust the resolution, but only the one time at first connection.

Total cost for this before taxes: $823.10 CAD. Pricey, but I'll be getting a lot of use out of this for a long time, so worth it to me at least.

Thanks to those who responded :-)
post #10 of 12 Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 PM

I read through your posts regarding extending your service to a separate monitor. Will you please tell me what you used for your wireless/extended range keyboard/mouse? My wife wants to extend her desktop and still be able to browse and work graphic design projects from the living room. I appreciate your help!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Monoprice has a USB over Cat5e/Cat6 extender. Combine this with an HDBaseT HDMI extender and you have video and control remotely using only 2 cable runs. This would work with a wireless keyboard and mouse. If you have a video card with 2x HDMI out, you can mirror the desktop on both ports so it'll be the same in either room.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

ljo000's solution would work, as I used something similar (with the exception of a DVI extender instead of an HDMI extender). For my set up, I used the Icron USB 2.0 Ranger 2204 extender, which provided 4 USB 2.0 ports through a single ethernet run. This might be overkill for what you're looking for however. If she only needs kbd & mouse, then there are 2 port USB 1.1 extenders out there. I paid a bit of a premium for the USB 2.0 version, simply because I had devices on the other end that would need the extra bandwidth.

Also consider the 4 port usb extender as well. While for the majority of her work, she may only need the kbd & mouse through usb, there might be times where a third or fourth USB device would be useful, such as an external dvd drive.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page