Upgrade ELAN System or start over???? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-26-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have an ELAN system set up in my house, however we have out grown it. I have the following components:

1 - Via touch video panel - Broke
5 - S Series Intelligent Keypad (single gang)
1 - Z600/601 Series 1 Communication Controller
1 - Z880 Video Controller (Not currently using, replaced all cams and VIA panel is dead)
1 - S6 Multi Zone Controller
1 - ELAN Dual AM/FM tuner
2 - Sonos ZP90's

We have a few problems with this system now.
1 - Nearest dealer is over an hour away and the service calls are ridicously high for them to come and program anything
2 - Only 5 of the current 6 zones is working, I am remodelling the basement now and really need 9 or 10 zones to cover all the rooms.
3 - frustration with not being able to program anything myself!!!!!

We love that our door bell rings through all our speakers and that we can pick up a phone and use it as an intercom through all of our speakers.

I am trying to figure out if I should try to upgrade this system but buying some of the outdated ELAN components off of EBay, and buying one of the programmer kits from old dealers that pop up on ebay from time to time or if I should go with a whole new system.

I have Cat 5 wires going to all the locations where I want to put key pads in, i have all the speaker wires home runned from each room back to the same location as my Cat 5 wires, so my wiring is pretty much all taken care of.

I was looking at a Nuvo Grand Concerto system, but it was adding up quickly if I jump over 8 zones. Plus I have not seen a clean way to add functionality for having my door bell ring through all of the speakers and using the phone as an intercom over all of them also. I have seen a white paper about using I think a Viking module, but have not read it completely yet.

I would like to stay around the $4,000 range if I go all new and substantionally less if I upgrade existing.

Any suggestions? I am pretty frustrated with the whole thing right now, any suggestions, well almost any suggestion would be welcomed right now!!!

Thanks,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

The HTD systems also looked like they might be a fit. Any suggestions in regards to them or any other company?
post #3 of 5 Old 09-28-2011, 06:14 PM

Liked: 11
why not continue on with the sonos. you already have two. nothing can beat it in my opinion.

another 8 is only 2800. get a nice multi channel amp or two should put you within you $4000.00
post #4 of 5 Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

I would like to keep all of my in ceiling speakers functional and the key pads in the rooms. The biggest thing i need to keep is the intercom and doorbell functionality throughout the house.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 PM

Upgrade to the new Elan G system and keep the tuner and Doorbell station.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page