Monoprice HDMI Switches/Splitters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm kind of a noob to av, so please pardon any idiocy in this question.
Why would one pay $1k+ for a 4x4 HDMI matrix when Monoprice sells one for around $150? Same with 1x2, 1x4, 1x8, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 PM

One could ask the same about cars, Kia and Ferarri
post #3 of 6 Old 09-27-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Good idea for an analogy, not sure I'd buy a Kia though =P
So really Monoprice pwns all? That's great, because I don't have a spare 2k lying around.
Do you know of anyone that sells a reasonably priced 4x8 matrix with at least 1.3a spec (for 3d)?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-28-2011, 01:32 PM

I own and use several monoprice HDMI splitters and switchers and they all work perfectly.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Abear View Post

I own and use several monoprice HDMI splitters and switchers and they all work perfectly.

Bear, I have a question since I currently have a wee problem with my monoprice 1-->2 switches. As they are both in the same "circuit" I may have some handshake issues which are causing a regular buzzing in my sub. Everything else works perfectly.

Here's the deal: From my cable box I go HDMI to Switch #1. Output goes to TV and receiver (for regular viewing I just want to switch on the TV and listen thru TV speakers, only occasionally I might watch a movie via the receiver and 7.1 speakers). From the receiver out, I go to Switch # 2, which goes back to a different HDMI input on the TV or my projector. (Since my receiver has only one HDMI output I want to avoid unplugging/swapping between TV and projector).

It all works beautifully so far EXCEPT: I get an intermittent buzz, sort of a beep - beep - beep about once a second coming from the sub. It seems like I'm listening to all this handshaking which must be going on with 2 switches. If I play a BD, I still hear it even though I'm only using Switch # 2, i.e. from receiver to projector. If I power down (unplug the DC supplies) to both adaptors I just get a blank screen - and a Handshake error message - probably understandable). If I power down Switch #1, but leave it connected I still get the buzzing.

I still have to try removing Switch #1 completely from the circuit thereby going to a situation with just one switch, and will update. But am curious to know if you have had these kind of issues.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-03-2011, 02:42 PM

Just a quick update. I'm no longer sure the problem is coming from the switches after a bit more experimentation. I think the sub connect is picking up interference from somewhere, and I just finished moving receiver into a new rack so a lot of disconnecting/re-connecting has been going on here. Its quite difficult now to pull everything away from the wall and checking the wiring, but that's what I will do before blaming the switches (after all, they are doing everything else exactly as they should. It might also be a problem with the sub itself.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page