Coax/Antenna Amp/Distribution/Hub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if I post this in the wrong place.

I am about to move into a new home and want to do a little rewiring. I plan on installing a omni-directional antenna in my attic. I also plan on installing a rack mount system in an unused closet. What I am seeking to do is have the Antenna cable plus my cable coax run to the rack mount system into some sort of Amplified and Distribution system. I have looked on line and can find in-line and on wall but have had trouble locating a rack mount style components.

I would like it to have 2 inputs one for Cable and one for the Antenna. Then have 4+ outputs for each. If needed I would be happy with 2 units one for each signal type.

While I am at it does anyone have any experience with systems the run coax and antenna signals of Cat5. There is a wall plate the coax get plugged into which transforms the single over the CAT5 to another wall plate that then send the signal back over coax? My current plan it to just run coax but was curious if anyone was familiar with this sort of set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
You probably won't find a "rack mounted" RF amplifier at a price that wouldn't shock you - residential amps are meant to be screwed to a wall or placed in a structured wiring enclosure.

You can't combine OTA and CATV signals easily - they overlap in frequency. But you could certainly distribute them separately, choosing which room gets one or the other (not both).

And no, you won't be able to run "cable TV" through a cat5 balun - not enough bandwidth. Coax all the way...

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM

Actually Intelix makes a broadband over cat5 balun and for the most part it works quite well. It is certainly not something we would do as a first option since coax is cheaper and the balun does not do UHF and has a limited CATV window, but it works well in a situation where you have an existing cat5, can't pull coax and you need to get RF to the location
post #4 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You probably won't find a "rack mounted" RF amplifier at a price that wouldn't shock you

Yup. RF rack-mount equipment are like industrial strength with a price to match, would be totally overkill. Just get a desktop unit and put it on a 19" shelf like this:

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericspencer View Post

Actually Intelix makes a broadband over cat5 balun and for the most part it works quite well. It is certainly not something we would do as a first option since coax is cheaper and the balun does not do UHF and has a limited CATV window, but it works well in a situation where you have an existing cat5, can't pull coax and you need to get RF to the location

Interesting and good to know... I'm surprised that works!

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Good deal, thank you all for replying to my posting. Too bad there is not a consumer priced rack mount ANT system. As far as the Coax and Ant I was going to run both to each room and have a 2 labels on the panel saying ANT & CABLE and only use 1 or the other to the actual TV.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page