Question about pre-wiring a house? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have ran wire before but got to thinking about it due to the fact that I will be helping a family member with their new house installation in a few months. Basically, you read about attempting to future proof by running an insane amount of wire such as 4-6 runs of coax, 2-4 twisted pair, and speaker wire to each room. So here is the question, say if you have a two story house and you plan on making the main distribution area in a basement, what would be the best strategy for running wire throughout the house? My initial thought was to put in 2 or 3 runs of conduit, maybe ¾ or inch in diameter and run them maybe one in the middle and two on each ends of the house from the basement to the attic. But for example, if you have two rooms stacked on top of each other say, a living room and then a bedroom on top of that, how are you supposed to fit all the required future proof wire through that one conduit? You're talking about 8-10 coax, 6-8 twisted pair, and 2-3 runs of speaker wire easy. I can't see that fitting through a conduit of ¾ to an inch in diameter? And you can't really go much bigger than that or maybe not even that big due to building codes in regards to drilling that size of a hole through your studs to fit the conduit.

So do you just run a lot of conduit from the basement to the attic, say 5-6 runs? Or is there another solution? I have seen and read plenty of wiring threads but nothing really addresses running a crap load of wire through a conduit that I know of. When I ran the wire for my new house, I did not run all the future proofing wire that is talked about these days and two, I created each pathway myself without the assistance of running conduit (basically I just drilled ½ holes or whatever through the studs from the basement to the second floor.
What am I missing? Thoughts / Suggestions?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 335
You don't run any wire through the 'future use' conduits. You leave them empty for the wires in the future that you didn't pre-wire. Run all the low-volt wiring outside the conduit(s). Document the locations with diagrams and photos.

2 runs of coax per location is plenty. At least 2 cat5/cat6, 3-4 is better, per location.

And yes, making sure there is a path from the basement to attic is key to any future-proofing effort.

If you haven't read the Wiring You House wiki over at cocoontech.com, check that out...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

You don't run any wire through the 'future use' conduits. You leave them empty for the wires in the future that you didn't pre-wire. Run all the low-volt wiring outside the conduit(s). Document the locations with diagrams and photos.

2 runs of coax per location is plenty. At least 2 cat5/cat6, 3-4 is better, per location.

And yes, making sure there is a path from the basement to attic is key to any future-proofing effort.

If you haven't read the Wiring You House wiki over at cocoontech.com, check that out...

Jeff

Jeff-

Thanks for your help...that makes sense...not sure why I didn't think of that. So basically what your saying is to drill the necessary holes through the studs of everything you know your going to do now and then use the conduits for any future stuff?

And in ref to multiple drops of coax...figured at least 4-6 per location due to distributed video....figured that would be easier than using twisted pair and baluns.

And yes thank for referring cocoontech. I go to that site every once in awhile to browse around.

Thanks,
Michael
post #4 of 5 Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1chael View Post

So basically what your saying is to drill the necessary holes through the studs of everything you know your going to do now and then use the conduits for any future stuff?

Yep.

Quote:

And in ref to multiple drops of coax...figured at least 4-6 per location due to distributed video....figured that would be easier than using twisted pair and baluns.

Not for HD distribution. You'll want cat5e/cat6 for HDMI or Ethernet-based distribution. 5 coax runs can be used for component video, but so can 2 cat5 cables. Much easier to deal with now, and more useful in the future...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #5 of 5 Old 10-06-2011, 09:22 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yep.

Not for HD distribution. You'll want cat5e/cat6 for HDMI or Ethernet-based distribution. 5 coax runs can be used for component video, but so can 2 cat5 cables. Much easier to deal with now, and more useful in the future...

Jeff

You can run almost anything through cat5e so it may not be a bad idea to put in extra runs and leave them in the basement to the attic even if not being used.. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to leave a pull string in the conduit.. It makes it much easier in the future...
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page