Bluetooth transmitter with optical input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been trying to set myself up with some good wireless headphones for a while now. Ideally I'd like to get one pair, and use it with a bunch of different devices, including potentially:

* TV
* game consoles (PS3, 360, etc)
* PC
* Phone (Android, iPhone)

and it seems like the no-brainer common denominator will probably be Bluetooth.

However, there's a small wrinkle: the only item in the list above that doesn't already handle audio over A2DP is my TV (and the game consoles connected to it), because the TV (LG 47LH40) only has Toslink/optical audio output. Is there an easy way to connect BT stereo headphones to this TV? I've been unable to find one online.

As a data point: I'm considering today's Woot, which is a well-reviewed optical-connected dedicated "gaming" headset, for 80 bucks. If your solution costs a lot more than that, I'd probably just give up and have separate solutions for console/TV versus PC/phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 04-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have a similar issue, with a TV that has optical only output and a pair of wireless bluetooth headphones that I'd like to use with the TV. Surely someone must sell an optical-to-bluetooth converter?
post #3 of 68 Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSteele View Post

Did you ever find a solution for this? I have a similar issue, with a TV that has optical only output and a pair of wireless bluetooth headphones that I'd like to use with the TV. Surely someone must sell an optical-to-bluetooth converter?

What model TV do you have? Worst case you could use an optical to analog converter plugged into a bluetooth transmitter.
post #4 of 68 Old 04-11-2012, 03:25 PM

My TV is a Vizio model, not that it really matters. The issue is that it only has optical out and the wireless headphones I want to use are bluetooth. An optical to analog converter would be an option, although I've looked before and was never able to find anything beyond big expensive boxes. Do you have any recommendations?
post #5 of 68 Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSteele View Post

My TV is a Vizio model, not that it really matters. The issue is that it only has optical out and the wireless headphones I want to use are bluetooth. An optical to analog converter would be an option, although I've looked before and was never able to find anything beyond big expensive boxes. Do you have any recommendations?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #6 of 68 Old 04-12-2012, 08:02 AM

That certainly looks like it will do the job. Thanks. I'll have to see if the local Fry's carries anything like this before ordering over the web...
post #7 of 68 Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 AM

Liked: 32
Logitech makes a BT module also.
post #8 of 68 Old 04-12-2012, 05:40 PM

Which bluetooth module are you referring to? I did a search on the Logitech website and didn't see anything like what I'm looking for. Are you talking about a bluetooth transmitter? I've seen BT transmitters locally in the past, but they've always been analog. But paired with a digital-to-analog converter will give me what I need.
post #9 of 68 Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 32
post #10 of 68 Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM

I'm not sure if this is what I need. I already have a set of bluetooth wireless headphones that I want to receive the audio from my TV. So, my plan is to use an optical/analog converter, plug these into a bluetooth transmitter, and then my headphones would sync with that.

This Logitech product is sort of the opposite of what I want. The intent is to provide a wireless connection to an audio source, and then a wired connection to a set of speakers or headphones. I need something accept a *wired* audio source and then provide a *wireless* connection to a set of headphones.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think this Logitech device will do what I need.
post #11 of 68 Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 AM

Has anyone tried to use this optical to analog converter? I have come up with the same solution and found the Monoprice.com site to give the best prices. In addition they answer questions via chat.
In addition because I also have only an optical outlet I will have to use an optical signal splitter to send a signal to a sound system besides using bluetooth for hearing aids. Has anyone used an optical signal splitter?
post #12 of 68 Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM

To hook up Bluetooth to an optical only TV I have found the following components necessary. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all eyes.

Optical cable to analog converter.
RCA cable with R/W male adapters and single female adapter
Bluetooth transmitter (I could only find them with male RCA single plug outlet)
post #13 of 68 Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM

I found this website and thought I would contribute.

I recently purchased a LG 47 HDTV and wanted to find a way to listen to the TV using my bluetooth headphones. After lots of searches, I found a Norwegian company that produced exactly what I wanted: The TosBlue http://www.telme2.com/#/2. I sent them an email and was able to purchase it. It connects to the TV's toslink digital outlet using the supplied cable and uses the TV's USB outlet for power. So far, it syncs perfectly with my Sony MW600 bluetooth receiver. Hope this helps.
post #14 of 68 Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 AM

Thank you for the referral for the Telme2. This looks to be exactly what I am looking for. I placed my order for 1 today and for $55 + free shipping it is worth the risk. As soon as I receive it and test it, I will be back to post a follow up.
post #15 of 68 Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 PM

Just a follow up on the Telme2 product. I just received this yesterday and was able to get it set up last night. I was pleased at how easy it was to set up and pair with my BT headphones. I simply plugged the fiber cable into the tv and the telme2 box and plugged the usb cord into my TV's usb port for power, put my BT headphones in pair mode and it picked it up that simple. The sound quality was good. Mind you i don't have high end headphones so i will be able to more accurately test the sound quality when i get my BT speakers. Otherwise, this does exactly what i want.

Also it shipped for free and only took about 10 days.

Hope this is found helpful.
post #16 of 68 Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM

i'm in the same predicament. need one with Toslink/optical audio out, but is there anything cheaper? i looked at the Telme2 but now they increased the price to $69. too rich for my blood frown.gif
post #17 of 68 Old 11-15-2012, 09:34 AM

Still a cheaper and a cleaner solutions than anything else out there.
post #18 of 68 Old 11-18-2012, 09:48 AM

that was not very helpful.
post #19 of 68 Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

has anyone used this device? If you send it a 5.1 signal (LPCM) do you get stereo audio out? or do you get nothing or something that's unintelligible?

I had wireless headphones for my TV and since I upgraded my TV, I can't use them (pout)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 68 Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

has anyone used this device? If you send it a 5.1 signal (LPCM) do you get stereo audio out? or do you get nothing or something that's unintelligible?
I had wireless headphones for my TV and since I upgraded my TV, I can't use them (pout)

Nothing. See the note in RED in the product description:

IMPORTANT NOTE! This device will NOT decode 5.1-channel signals. It will ONLY convert 2-channel digital stereo (PCM) input signals to analog stereo output. This will not work with TVs that only output 5.1-channel digital signals!

MuxLab has a new 5.1 decoder to 2-channel analog, FYI...

http://www.muxlab.com/assets/files/press_releases/Digital_Audio_Converter_5_1Channel.pdf

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #21 of 68 Old 11-29-2012, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

this is all a real bummer. Seems like the only viable option is to buy a wireless gaming headset and hook that into the optical.

I don't understand how the optical to bluetooth converter works at all - if neither device has a delectable pairing mode and neither is NFC enabled, how do they pair?

Also, the Belkin boxes are all built to receive not transmit, right?

I've tried a stereo bluetooth gateway before - that thing was terrible. (Motorola)

So it looks like I should sell my wireless headphones. Hmmm.

post #22 of 68 Old 11-29-2012, 09:32 AM

Not sure why you say there is no viable option? As stated, my BT headphones pair just fine with the Telme2. You put both into pairing mode and they simply just synced.
post #23 of 68 Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

don't want to make value judgments but for what it does, that is an insanely priced device at $69 - my BT headphones only cost $40...

post #24 of 68 Old 11-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Most conversion type devises usually go for a premium. When you are looking for a solution with limited products on the market, the few that do exist are going to be more expensive until more competition is available. you could always hack something together (which is likely going to cost more).
post #25 of 68 Old 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM

If you are simply using it for a wireless headset solution, then it does seem less attractive. I originally purchased it for a wireless BT speaker solution. Spending $60 on this was actually cheaper (and easier) than running speaker wire or buying a stand alone wireless speaker solution.
post #26 of 68 Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

yah I only need a headset - I think I saw a wireless gaming headset (Turtle Beach?) for $70 over the last 2 weeks. That would be wireless and 5.1. That would feel pretty good.

No way am I paying $250 like some of my friends have.

post #27 of 68 Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:

yah I only need a headset - I think I saw a wireless gaming headset (Turtle Beach?) for $70 over the last 2 weeks. That would be wireless and 5.1. That would feel pretty good.
No way am I paying $250 like some of my friends have.

The problem with some of those gaming headsets, like the Turtle Beach ones, is that they only support mono-Bluetooth and not A2DP. The upper end Turtle Beach headphones (+$249) do support A2DP. In my application I would use the RF transmitter for the TV and use the BT functionality when using my laptop.

Go Aggies!
post #28 of 68 Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclimber99 View Post

The problem with some of those gaming headsets, like the Turtle Beach ones, is that they only support mono-Bluetooth and not A2DP. The upper end Turtle Beach headphones (+$249) do support A2DP. In my application I would use the RF transmitter for the TV and use the BT functionality when using my laptop.

How are they pushing 5.1 wirelessly if the only support mono? I'm lost.

post #29 of 68 Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:

How are they pushing 5.1 wirelessly if the only support mono? I'm lost.

With RF. Those headphones support both RF and Bluetooth, 5.1 sound is over the RF

Go Aggies!
post #30 of 68 Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 AM

Hi all...been searching around for a thread on this topic and it seems like I struck gold. Here's my situation and I am hoping you can just confirm that what I found here works for me. I have a TV on a wall that is shared with my flatmate and on his side of the wall is his bed - and because the construction is crappy the sound travels into his room. I want to put wireless speakers above my bed (on the opposite wall) and send the sound there as opposed to using the TV for sound.

Will the TosBlue be a solution for me in sending the audio signal wirelessly to any BT speakers I hook up above my bed? Will it work with any BT speakers?

Does anyone know any other potential solutions for me to get sound wirelessly from my TV to speakers above my bed?

Appreciate your input....
Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Displays , Lg 47lh40 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv Gloss Black , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page