Best Wireless HDMI Device - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone using the actiontec with Directv H21/100? My main tv doesn't show some of the SD channels although HD seems to be well with both tv's. Audio delay with remote tv. I've
Only had the unit two days and I am hoping I just haven't figured it out yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM

OK, my wife is on a mission to clean up cords in our living room. The plasma is over the fireplace, on an external (load bearing), insulated wall. No real good way to run hdmi without tearing the wall open and patching and painting. I have the skills to do that, but dont want the mess and hassle.

Anyone running this just for video? i.e. my yamaha receiver will be switching the hdmi signals and producing all the sound, i just need the video out of receiver to wirelessly go to the tv... However there cant be any video lag or the sounds will be behind the picture.

Will only be transmitting 8-10 ft.

Anyone do anything like this? Thinking about pulling the trigger on amazon and trying to save myself allot of drywall and paint work.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhack View Post

OK, my wife is on a mission to clean up cords in our living room. The plasma is over the fireplace, on an external (load bearing), insulated wall. No real good way to run hdmi without tearing the wall open and patching and painting. I have the skills to do that, but dont want the mess and hassle.

Anyone running this just for video? i.e. my yamaha receiver will be switching the hdmi signals and producing all the sound, i just need the video out of receiver to wirelessly go to the tv... However there cant be any video lag or the sounds will be behind the picture.

Will only be transmitting 8-10 ft.

Anyone do anything like this? Thinking about pulling the trigger on amazon and trying to save myself allot of drywall and paint work.

There is NO lag on the Actiontec MyWirelessTV... give that a shot. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:22 PM

Hello, I'm new to the scene. Just bought a house and want to do everything right.

I really like the idea of wall mounting my TV and have a totally clean look with all of the wires hidden and all of my electronics (cable box, DVD player, computer, etc.).

While I'm at it, why not make these wireless signals available to the rest of the TVs in the house?

It seems that a wireless transmitter that can have multible receivers is rare, a transmitter that has multible HDMI inputs is rare, and a wireless transmitter with multible inputs and that can have multible receivers is non-existent.

From what I can tell the Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit can have multible receivers but only has one input on the transmitter. Whereas the DVDO Air and Belkin Screencast AV 4 have multible inputs but can only have one receiver.

Am I right? Should I just get an HDMI switch as well? I would like to have four ports. Any suggestions? Will this type of set-up work?

What about a remote? Just use one and carry it around room to room.? I've never used a universal remote or IR blaster. Looking to get a couple that can control all my boxes through walls.

What about a wireless keyboard that can go through walls should I decide to add a computer to my set-up. Will I need a repeater or something?

I realize these are a lot of questions, but I'm excited about my new house and if I get this working, you can come over and watch TV and drink beer whenever you want.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhounds View Post

Hello, I'm new to the scene. Just bought a house and want to do everything right.
I really like the idea of wall mounting my TV and have a totally clean look with all of the wires hidden and all of my electronics (cable box, DVD player, computer, etc.).
While I'm at it, why not make these wireless signals available to the rest of the TVs in the house?
It seems that a wireless transmitter that can have multible receivers is rare, a transmitter that has multible HDMI inputs is rare, and a wireless transmitter with multible inputs and that can have multible receivers is non-existent.
From what I can tell the Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit can have multible receivers but only has one input on the transmitter. Whereas the DVDO Air and Belkin Screencast AV 4 have multible inputs but can only have one receiver.
Am I right? Should I just get an HDMI switch as well? I would like to have four ports. Any suggestions? Will this type of set-up work?
What about a remote? Just use one and carry it around room to room.? I've never used a universal remote or IR blaster. Looking to get a couple that can control all my boxes through walls.
What about a wireless keyboard that can go through walls should I decide to add a computer to my set-up. Will I need a repeater or something?
I realize these are a lot of questions, but I'm excited about my new house and if I get this working, you can come over and watch TV and drink beer whenever you want.

I'm using the Actiontec with a 4x2 matrix switchhttp://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2 (only using 3 of the inputs) and although it works, the HDMI wireless receiver in my bedroom sometimes needs to be reset to re-establish a connection as it seems to somehow get lost from time to time upon turning on the bedroom TV (I've never lost the signal while viewing though).....a bit of an annoyance but not a deal breaker for me as it otherwise works quite well.

The kit also includes an IR Blaster & Receiver but I don't use it since I had already been using a NextGen remote extender (http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347294999&sr=8-1&keywords=next+gen+remote+extender) which also works quite well. There are many options regarding universal/learning remotes that can be used in either scenario.

You can also control a keyboard & mouse remotely using the Actiontec's USB Backchannel Feature (I haven't actually tried that though). You can download the manual, read the FAQs, etc. here > http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=218#qa.

Vin
Old 09-11-2012, 01:40 PM

Wow thanks. Good info. I don't move until the end of October, so once I get everything going I'll let you know how it works.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM

Vin.... Are you using multible receivers with the Actiontec? How's that work?
Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhounds View Post

Vin.... Are you using multible receivers with the Actiontec? How's that work?

No, only using one receiver. If you're considering the Actiontec, check out ebay, I got my kit (open box but like-new) back in March for < $60 shipped.

Vin
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 AM

Vin, I wonder if you bought it from me ;-).

I had one transmitter and two receivers. I bought the second one for a super bowl party so we could have two TVs in complete sync. It actually worked great! Then I sold the second receiver after the party.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:09 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post

Vin, I wonder if you bought it from me ;-).
I had one transmitter and two receivers. I bought the second one for a super bowl party so we could have two TVs in complete sync. It actually worked great! Then I sold the second receiver after the party.

Haha, doubt it....like I said, I bought the entire kit (transmitter & receiver) for less than $60 shipped, great deal! smile.gif The prices seem to have gone up considerably though since March when deals like the one I got were pretty easy to come by. I guess maybe the device has gotten more popular since then...supply and demand.

Vin
Old 04-18-2013, 06:00 AM

I have been using a rocket fish wireless HDMI transmitter and having a major issue, it stops working properly after a year, I have replaced the unit twice and now the third unit has started to fail after a year. Looking for some options, the unit is less than 30 feet apart and they are line of site. Thanks
Old 04-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonybass View Post

I have been using a rocket fish wireless HDMI transmitter and having a major issue, it stops working properly after a year, I have replaced the unit twice and now the third unit has started to fail after a year. Looking for some options, the unit is less than 30 feet apart and they are line of site. Thanks

Have you considered the Actiontec I mentioned earlier in this thread? That would be my recommendation based on my experience. The Iogear (http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDKIT-Wireless-Digital-Channel/dp/B00630WKGI/ref=pd_cp_pc_1) seems to be a popular choice as well but I have no personal experience with that device.

Vin
Old 06-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Do any of these units have ARC, or some other way of returning audio from the TV to the AV system?

I want to be able to use smart TV sources built-in to the TV or plug in portable sources at the TV, and send that audio back to the AV system, rather than having to use the TV's speakers. I actually haven't seen anything that will do this unless the WHDI products have ARC and don't advertise it.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
What about the DVDO AIR Wireless HD Connection system?
Quote:
transfers full, uncompressed 1080p HD, so you can watch 3D Blu-ray movies and enjoy full 7.1 channel surround sound flawlessly. It looks and sounds exactly the same as it would with a high performance HDMI cable, except there’s no cable. There’s just AIR.

DVDO Air - Wireless HDMI normally $399 on sale for $150 + shipping/tax
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 PM

The DVDO doesn't mention ARC but it has CEC so it should do ARC as well. Won't work for me unfortunately as it's 60 GHZ and has to be in the same room. I ended up running HDMI through the wall
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Hillhounds said - 'Hello, I'm new to the scene. Just bought a house and want to do everything right' - then you are in the wrong thread smile.gif

Plan out a wired HDMI distribution solution using CAT6 cables combined with HDMI over HDBaseT hardware - that will deliver HDMI to multiple Zones plus deliver a simple IR return path from each Zone to give you control of the Matrix, connected Sources plus an AVR and if required you can add in a ‘budget’ control system utilising iOS or Android type devices.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_Matrix_HDbaseT_HD4xSTPMX_over%20CAT6.html

Wireless HD (you can’t even call it HDMI) is simply not reliable enough to base your plans around - no matter which system you go with.

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc