AVS Forum banner

Best Wireless HDMI Device

36K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  lasko 
#1 ·
I'm interested in buying a wireless HDMI system so that I can use my cable box in the basement in my living room. I'll obviously need it to work through walls and the signal will need to transmit at least 30 feet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

#27 ·
Well I certainly wouldn't recommend the new HP wireless TV connect 2. Just went through 2 of them, and neither of them worked with my 360, PC, or AV receiver. Of course HPs support didn't even know what the device was.

Brite-view looks good, but pretty mixed reviews and lots of people complaining of signal drops. Reviews on the Actiontec seem a bit mixed as well, but I think I might try it. Don't care about audio streaming to my projector, and just need uncompressed 1080p/60 low latency video.

Always liked Belkin, so I may wait to see what price that comes out at. Looks like the single source version will be $200. Don't need the multiple input version, but I'd like multiple output. Wanna keep it around the $200 range, which puts the $350 IOgear out.

#28 ·
More thoughts after having used my actiontec for a while now...

- audio issues are gone after firmware update

- NO lag. Like, ZERO lag. I was playing Uncharted on my PS3 last night and loving the fact that it was perfect.

- The IR blaster is handy as a stop-gap solution before going w/ a more robust remote solution. There is a bit of lag w/ the IR blaster.

- This works great w/ my PS3 and my TiVo.

- If there is compression, i'm not noticing it.

#30 ·
I bought the 8WD HDMI Transmitter/Receiver kit for my parents for Christmas. I just got around to getting it installed at their house (was waiting for Comcast issues to be solved.

In short, it's working as advertised. It was a snap to set up and it just worked. Here's their set up:

Tivo Premier ->

8WD Transmitter ->

Sony HDTV

8WD Receiver -> Samsung HDTV

The transmitter and receiver are about 15' apart and on different floors of the house.

The Tivo works perfectly on either TV, which means they didn't need a new box to drive the remote TV. The IR solution that comes with the 8WD works fine too, although I sort of wish the receiver had a built in IR receiver (instead of the plug in version it comes with). But it works fine and for some this might be a better solution (if say you want to tuck the receiver out of sight).

One last note, Amazon doesn't seem to have the 8WD anymore. However, they do have the Brite-View which seems like the same exact product.

#47 ·
I use a Sewell 1x2 powered splitter sharing a FIOS box. They claim is works up to 100' using good HDMI cable. I also connected a remote extender and can control the FIOS box from both locations. Other than running the cables it was plug and play and cheap.
Works without any issues.

#32 ·
OK, my wife is on a mission to clean up cords in our living room. The plasma is over the fireplace, on an external (load bearing), insulated wall. No real good way to run hdmi without tearing the wall open and patching and painting. I have the skills to do that, but dont want the mess and hassle.

Anyone running this just for video? i.e. my yamaha receiver will be switching the hdmi signals and producing all the sound, i just need the video out of receiver to wirelessly go to the tv... However there cant be any video lag or the sounds will be behind the picture.

Will only be transmitting 8-10 ft.

Anyone do anything like this? Thinking about pulling the trigger on amazon and trying to save myself allot of drywall and paint work.

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhhack /forum/post/21661957

OK, my wife is on a mission to clean up cords in our living room. The plasma is over the fireplace, on an external (load bearing), insulated wall. No real good way to run hdmi without tearing the wall open and patching and painting. I have the skills to do that, but dont want the mess and hassle.

Anyone running this just for video? i.e. my yamaha receiver will be switching the hdmi signals and producing all the sound, i just need the video out of receiver to wirelessly go to the tv... However there cant be any video lag or the sounds will be behind the picture.

Will only be transmitting 8-10 ft.

Anyone do anything like this? Thinking about pulling the trigger on amazon and trying to save myself allot of drywall and paint work.

There is NO lag on the Actiontec MyWirelessTV... give that a shot. I'm very happy with mine.

#34 ·
Hello, I'm new to the scene. Just bought a house and want to do everything right.

I really like the idea of wall mounting my TV and have a totally clean look with all of the wires hidden and all of my electronics (cable box, DVD player, computer, etc.).

While I'm at it, why not make these wireless signals available to the rest of the TVs in the house?

It seems that a wireless transmitter that can have multible receivers is rare, a transmitter that has multible HDMI inputs is rare, and a wireless transmitter with multible inputs and that can have multible receivers is non-existent.

From what I can tell the Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit can have multible receivers but only has one input on the transmitter. Whereas the DVDO Air and Belkin Screencast AV 4 have multible inputs but can only have one receiver.

Am I right? Should I just get an HDMI switch as well? I would like to have four ports. Any suggestions? Will this type of set-up work?

What about a remote? Just use one and carry it around room to room.? I've never used a universal remote or IR blaster. Looking to get a couple that can control all my boxes through walls.

What about a wireless keyboard that can go through walls should I decide to add a computer to my set-up. Will I need a repeater or something?

I realize these are a lot of questions, but I'm excited about my new house and if I get this working, you can come over and watch TV and drink beer whenever you want.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhounds  /t/1372943/best-wireless-hdmi-device/30#post_22388080

Hello, I'm new to the scene. Just bought a house and want to do everything right.

I really like the idea of wall mounting my TV and have a totally clean look with all of the wires hidden and all of my electronics (cable box, DVD player, computer, etc.).

While I'm at it, why not make these wireless signals available to the rest of the TVs in the house?

It seems that a wireless transmitter that can have multible receivers is rare, a transmitter that has multible HDMI inputs is rare, and a wireless transmitter with multible inputs and that can have multible receivers is non-existent.

From what I can tell the Actiontec My Wireless TV WiFi / HDMI Multi-Room Wireless HD Video Kit can have multible receivers but only has one input on the transmitter. Whereas the DVDO Air and Belkin Screencast AV 4 have multible inputs but can only have one receiver.

Am I right? Should I just get an HDMI switch as well? I would like to have four ports. Any suggestions? Will this type of set-up work?

What about a remote? Just use one and carry it around room to room.? I've never used a universal remote or IR blaster. Looking to get a couple that can control all my boxes through walls.

What about a wireless keyboard that can go through walls should I decide to add a computer to my set-up. Will I need a repeater or something?

I realize these are a lot of questions, but I'm excited about my new house and if I get this working, you can come over and watch TV and drink beer whenever you want.

I'm using the Actiontec with a 4x2 matrix switchhttp:// www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5312&seq=1&format=2 (only using 3 of the inputs) and although it works, the HDMI wireless receiver in my bedroom sometimes needs to be reset to re-establish a connection as it seems to somehow get lost from time to time upon turning on the bedroom TV (I've never lost the signal while viewing though).....a bit of an annoyance but not a deal breaker for me as it otherwise works quite well.

The kit also includes an IR Blaster & Receiver but I don't use it since I had already been using a NextGen remote extender ( http://www.amazon.com/Next-Generation-Remote-Control-Extender/dp/B000C1Z0HA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347294999&sr=8-1&keywords=next+gen+remote+extender ) which also works quite well. There are many options regarding universal/learning remotes that can be used in either scenario.

You can also control a keyboard & mouse remotely using the Actiontec's USB Backchannel Feature (I haven't actually tried that though). You can download the manual, read the FAQs, etc. here > http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=218#qa .

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhounds  /t/1372943/best-wireless-hdmi-device/30#post_22393403

Vin.... Are you using multible receivers with the Actiontec? How's that work?

No, only using one receiver. If you're considering the Actiontec, check out ebay, I got my kit (open box but like-new) back in March for

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc  /t/1372943/best-wireless-hdmi-device/30#post_22401167

Vin, I wonder if you bought it from me ;-).

I had one transmitter and two receivers. I bought the second one for a super bowl party so we could have two TVs in complete sync. It actually worked great! Then I sold the second receiver after the party.

Haha, doubt it....like I said, I bought the entire kit (transmitter & receiver) for less than $60 shipped, great deal!
The prices seem to have gone up considerably though since March when deals like the one I got were pretty easy to come by. I guess maybe the device has gotten more popular since then...supply and demand.

#41 ·
I have been using a rocket fish wireless HDMI transmitter and having a major issue, it stops working properly after a year, I have replaced the unit twice and now the third unit has started to fail after a year. Looking for some options, the unit is less than 30 feet apart and they are line of site. Thanks

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonybass  /t/1372943/best-wireless-hdmi-device/30#post_23217079

I have been using a rocket fish wireless HDMI transmitter and having a major issue, it stops working properly after a year, I have replaced the unit twice and now the third unit has started to fail after a year. Looking for some options, the unit is less than 30 feet apart and they are line of site. Thanks

Have you considered the Actiontec I mentioned earlier in this thread? That would be my recommendation based on my experience. The Iogear ( http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-GW3DHDKIT-Wireless-Digital-Channel/dp/B00630WKGI/ref=pd_cp_pc_1 ) seems to be a popular choice as well but I have no personal experience with that device.

#43 ·
Do any of these units have ARC, or some other way of returning audio from the TV to the AV system?

I want to be able to use smart TV sources built-in to the TV or plug in portable sources at the TV, and send that audio back to the AV system, rather than having to use the TV's speakers. I actually haven't seen anything that will do this unless the WHDI products have ARC and don't advertise it.

#44 ·
#46 ·
Hillhounds said - 'Hello, I'm new to the scene. Just bought a house and want to do everything right' - then you are in the wrong thread

Plan out a wired HDMI distribution solution using CAT6 cables combined with HDMI over HDBaseT hardware - that will deliver HDMI to multiple Zones plus deliver a simple IR return path from each Zone to give you control of the Matrix, connected Sources plus an AVR and if required you can add in a ‘budget’ control system utilising iOS or Android type devices.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_Matrix_HDbaseT_HD4xSTPMX_over%20CAT6.html

Wireless HD (you can’t even call it HDMI) is simply not reliable enough to base your plans around - no matter which system you go with.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.