Best Wireless HDMI Device - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 46 Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in buying a wireless HDMI system so that I can use my cable box in the basement in my living room. I'll obviously need it to work through walls and the signal will need to transmit at least 30 feet.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
First, there is no such thing as wireless HDMI. HDMI is an uncompressed signal. All the wireless systems compress the signal, some more than others. I haven't seen one that will do 30' through walls reliably. 30' line of sight seems to be the limit. Put anything in the way, even a body, and range diminishes.
post #3 of 46 Old 11-14-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Are there no wires to the living room? Is the basement finished, such that running a wire isn't easy?

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #4 of 46 Old 11-14-2011, 12:34 PM

Liked: 11
You can try the Brite-View Air SyncHD (BV-2322) for around $220. It transmits an uncompressed signal along with the remote control signal. I have one sending 1080p at around 25 ft through a floor. If you can live with 1080i then you can get better range with the unit.
post #5 of 46 Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemage View Post

You can try the Brite-View Air SyncHD (BV-2322) for around $220. It transmits an uncompressed signal along with the remote control signal. I have one sending 1080p at around 25 ft through a floor. If you can live with 1080i then you can get better range with the unit.

This looks great - I need some wireless HDMI for my apartment. Mine will be going about 18 feet, and while it won't be going through any walls, I am planning on mounting it behind the TV. Think it will work alright? I'm guessing it will if you've got it going through a floor!

I did some searching on Amazon, and I found the BV-2322 that you listed.

I also found the BV-1222 for cheaper. Looks like this will do the same job - no?
post #6 of 46 Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM

I have been looking in to this as well. Have you looked at the Brite-View BV-2822? That is supposed to be the "new" upgraded version with better transmission and multiple source capability.

Has anybody on the forum used this one?
post #7 of 46 Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I have no first hand experience with this product but it might be worth a look > http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actionte...33&st=wireless

Also available here > http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005L9ZZ32/...SIN=B005L9ZZ32

Vin
post #8 of 46 Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
IOGear has a product that does this too. Anybody try it? It's kind of hard to find somewhere to buy it on line, which makes me nervous.

ioGear Wireless HD Kit

My parents want TV in their bedroom, but there's no way to get wiring into that room without going from outside the house into the 2nd story room. Bummer.
post #9 of 46 Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungarianhc View Post

I did some searching on Amazon, and I found the BV-2322 that you listed.

I also found the BV-1222 for cheaper. Looks like this will do the same job - no?

The BV-1222 doesn't appear to send IR too. That means you need line of sight to the equipment that is connected to the transmitter.

The Brite-View models do look nice though.
post #10 of 46 Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i own the actiontec mywirelesstv kit and it works impressively well ~80' one end of house to other thru 4 walls..make sure to update to latest firmware.
running 3D 1080P from directv thru to main set Panasonic VT25 65" then wireless HDMI out to the bedroom to a Vizio 42" 3d M3D421SR. no notable lag and IR emiter/receiver works flawlessly to control output from 3d stb
post #11 of 46 Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

So I guess this technology is called WHDI, here's a link to some products for it. The one that caught my eye was the Belkin, but it won't be available from Amazon until January 1.

Not listed on the web site are the ActionTek, Monoprice, and another one on Amazon that I can't remember.

I really want to get one of these for my parent's situation. The Belkin looks nice because the transmitter can accept 4 HDMI devices.
post #12 of 46 Old 12-05-2011, 08:16 AM

WHDI is a specific technology. Not all of these (are any of them?) listed use WHDI technology. Has anyone tried gaming on these? I definitely don't want any lag when playing my PS3, but i really don't care if there's a slightly lag w/ video.
post #13 of 46 Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxman View Post

i own the actiontec mywirelesstv kit and it works impressively well ~80' one end of house to other thru 4 walls..make sure to update to latest firmware.
running 3D 1080P from directv thru to main set Panasonic VT25 65" then wireless HDMI out to the bedroom to a Vizio 42" 3d M3D421SR. no notable lag and IR emiter/receiver works flawlessly to control output from 3d stb

I have one of these as well, and I think it works great. Picture quality is amazing, and it sounds great too. I even have this going through a Rocketfish 4 Port HDMI Switch without any problems. I do feel the IR is a little slow, as this could also be because of the direct TV box. I am having issues updating the firmware, but def feel this is a great value wireless HD/HDMI streamer.
post #14 of 46 Old 12-07-2011, 08:55 AM

Kanex Pro makes wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver. I have no experience with them tho
post #15 of 46 Old 12-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
The Vizio one (XWH200 Universal Wireless HD Video and Audio Kit) has some mixed reviews on Amazon with some people saying it works perfectly and others not so much. I think a lot will depend on the specific setup. Make sure with whatever you buy to get it from a store with a good returns policy like Costco.
post #16 of 46 Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post

I have one of these as well, and I think it works great. Picture quality is amazing, and it sounds great too. I even have this going through a Rocketfish 4 Port HDMI Switch without any problems. I do feel the IR is a little slow, as this could also be because of the direct TV box. I am having issues updating the firmware, but def feel this is a great value wireless HD/HDMI streamer.

When you say the IR is a bit slow, do you mean changing channels and stuff? Or is there some latency between the transmitter and receiver? I ask because I want to make sure that my PS3 games will work just fine w/ this device!
post #17 of 46 Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljo000 View Post

The Vizio one (XWH200 Universal Wireless HD Video and Audio Kit) has some mixed reviews on Amazon with some people saying it works perfectly and others not so much. I think a lot will depend on the specific setup. Make sure with whatever you buy to get it from a store with a good returns policy like Costco.

Seems like the Vizio product has to be in the same room or at least that's how it reads on Amazon.
post #18 of 46 Old 12-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

When you say the IR is a bit slow, do you mean changing channels and stuff? Or is there some latency between the transmitter and receiver? I ask because I want to make sure that my PS3 games will work just fine w/ this device!

Yea changing channels feels to be a lil sluggish, but I do think its just becuase of the IR, and the Slower DirectTv box.

Ur PS3 should work fine
post #19 of 46 Old 12-14-2011, 01:59 PM

impressed with perfomance, i bought a 2nd kit for another source and set up
can then choose source/destination. ir "slowness" is more due to the way
the ir signal is sent to the directv box (which i detest even in normal use)
than any fault of the mywirelesstv,as the commands are sent sequentially and timed so that the command is properly interpreted on receiver end,ie
to tune hbo channel 501 shows as 5....0....1 the dots representing a short
pause. a lag yes...but it works perfectly with no missing info. happy user
post #20 of 46 Old 12-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Thanks to RXMan for all his help.

Just got the new firmware updated, and this unit is working flawlessly. Picture and sound are in Sync. IR lag was due to direct TV box.

Even works well with an HDMI switcher. Had a few handshake errors in the begining, but all is well now....
post #21 of 46 Old 12-24-2011, 03:11 AM

actiontec has posted an upgrade bin file 12/24/11 v1.0.2.40
more bars shown for signal..same results for me....Great! (using multiple units!)
post #22 of 46 Old 12-24-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Sounds like a page out of the Apple iPhone saga...
post #23 of 46 Old 12-25-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I just hooked this actiontec mywirelesstv kit up and the video works perfectly. It is connected to a sat. receiver via HDMI. The problem I'm having is audio. If I set the sat. receiver to "pass through" the HDMI audio, then no audio to both an A/V receiver and the wireless receiver. If I set the audio to PCM, then both get the audio signal.

Thoughts?

Tony
post #24 of 46 Old 12-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar48 View Post

I just hooked this actiontec mywirelesstv kit up and the video works perfectly. It is connected to a sat. receiver via HDMI. The problem I'm having is audio. If I set the sat. receiver to "pass through" the HDMI audio, then no audio to both an A/V receiver and the wireless receiver. If I set the audio to PCM, then both get the audio signal.

Thoughts?

Tony

Ya know... count me on in the "video works perfectly, but audio has some issues" camp. My video works great, but the audio seems to have pops, from time to time. It did not do this when it was plugged in directly.
post #25 of 46 Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:

Ya know... count me on in the "video works perfectly, but audio has some issues" camp. My video works great, but the audio seems to have pops, from time to time. It did not do this when it was plugged in directly.

are you running this in conjunction with an hdmi switcher or an av receiver with hdmi built in?
post #26 of 46 Old 12-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post

are you running this in conjunction with an hdmi switcher or an av receiver with hdmi built in?

Nope... right now, it's just the TiVo plugged directly into the actiontec.
post #27 of 46 Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Well I certainly wouldn't recommend the new HP wireless TV connect 2. Just went through 2 of them, and neither of them worked with my 360, PC, or AV receiver. Of course HPs support didn't even know what the device was.

Brite-view looks good, but pretty mixed reviews and lots of people complaining of signal drops. Reviews on the Actiontec seem a bit mixed as well, but I think I might try it. Don't care about audio streaming to my projector, and just need uncompressed 1080p/60 low latency video.

Always liked Belkin, so I may wait to see what price that comes out at. Looks like the single source version will be $200. Don't need the multiple input version, but I'd like multiple output. Wanna keep it around the $200 range, which puts the $350 IOgear out.
post #28 of 46 Old 12-30-2011, 06:01 PM

More thoughts after having used my actiontec for a while now...
- audio issues are gone after firmware update
- NO lag. Like, ZERO lag. I was playing Uncharted on my PS3 last night and loving the fact that it was perfect.
- The IR blaster is handy as a stop-gap solution before going w/ a more robust remote solution. There is a bit of lag w/ the IR blaster.
- This works great w/ my PS3 and my TiVo.
- If there is compression, i'm not noticing it.
post #29 of 46 Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM

Well I just talked to my sales rep at pcmall, and he said the Belkin currently isn't expected until March. So I guess that makes the Actiontec an obvious choice. Too bad the stupid thing just went up $20 on Amazon. Hopefully its a temporary jump.
post #30 of 46 Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I bought the 8WD HDMI Transmitter/Receiver kit for my parents for Christmas. I just got around to getting it installed at their house (was waiting for Comcast issues to be solved.

In short, it's working as advertised. It was a snap to set up and it just worked. Here's their set up:

Tivo Premier ->
8WD Transmitter ->
Sony HDTV

8WD Receiver -> Samsung HDTV

The transmitter and receiver are about 15' apart and on different floors of the house.

The Tivo works perfectly on either TV, which means they didn't need a new box to drive the remote TV. The IR solution that comes with the 8WD works fine too, although I sort of wish the receiver had a built in IR receiver (instead of the plug in version it comes with). But it works fine and for some this might be a better solution (if say you want to tuck the receiver out of sight).

One last note, Amazon doesn't seem to have the 8WD anymore. However, they do have the Brite-View which seems like the same exact product.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List