Problem with Monoprice 4x4 HDMI matrix switch, cable, or Samsung UN60D6000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a new Samsung UN60D6000 (6 series 60" LED tv) to replace an older Samsung LN46A650 (46" LCD) and I have run into an interesting problem. For some reason when I plug in the new TV I get nothing but a black screen after selecting my HDMI source (i.e. HDMI 1 or 2). The old television works great on existing setup.

My current setup: Bell 9242 satellite receiver and HTPC plugged into a Monoprice 4x4 matrix switch (newest one). From the HDMI switch I've run two 50 foot 22awg (very thick) HDMI cables (Monoprice) one to my living room and the other to a bedroom. The system works flawlessly. I'm able to switch between satellite box and HTPC without any issues on the two older samsung LCD televisions.

I have experimented with a short cable from the HDMI switch to the new television and it works fine (excellent picture and switching from sat to HTPC works). I have changed out the cable 50 foot cable with another and I got the same result, black screen. I have even tried inserting an HDMI signal amplifier into the line out with no luck.

Is this a problem with the switch, cable, or the television? Keeping in mind the system works well with two existing Samsung televisions. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Curt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
At the risk of saying the obvious it sounds like the TV has the problem. Have you tried bypassing the switch an testing your sources with the TV directly? Does the same issue happen on different HDMI ports on the TV?
post #3 of 18 Old 12-07-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried the following:

1) Using the same 50' cable bypassing the switch and connecting directly to the sat receiver and HTPC and it works (hdmi ports 1-4)

2) Replacing the 50 foot cable coming form the switch with another brand of 50' cable and it does not work(hdmi ports 1-4)

3) Placing an HDMI signal amplifier on the 50' cable coming out of the switch and it does not work(hdmi ports 1-4).

4) Moved the television right next to switch and connected the new television with an 8' HDMI cable from the switch and it works(hdmi ports 1-4).

For some strange reason the new television just refuses to work with the 50' cable connected to the switch. Initially I thought it was a handshake issue and tired powering off all three divides in different orders (sat receiver, switch, and tv) and had no success.

Darn this is a beautiful television and I hate to return it but it looks like I'm gonna have to. I've got one day left on the 14 day return policy at Visions.ca
post #4 of 18 Old 12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Since its a longish HDMI run, you may want to try baluns with Cat6 before you return the TV. The wire is cheap and monoprice has a number of models that should work. It is a strange issue though - especially since the amplifier didn't work.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Which monoprice 4x4 switch are you using?
post #6 of 18 Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using a monoprice 4x4 matrix switch rev 3.0. See item number 5704 for more info at mono price.com It's the most recent version of the switch. I just bought it a few months ago.

I ended up returning the television and buying a Panasonic plasma. No issues with the setup.

On a side note I when I returned the television. I brought my HDMI switch and cable and tested it with the same television mounted on the wall and we got the same results, black screen. For some reason the new Samsung did not like this combination of equipment. We tested it with the Panasonic before I left the store to avoid this same issue with a different television.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Glad you got everything working and good to know about the samsung's issues. I'm thinking of getting the 55" so I hope it works. You can't beat the look of these TVs.
post #8 of 18 Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Liked: 11
be sure to update the samsungs firmware. it fixes the hdmi issues. a new tv does not necessarily mean it has the latest firmware.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Liked: 14
Well this is timely. I just swapped this 4x4 switch in place of the 4x2 from Monoprice last night which works flawlessly with my Samsung TV's (an older plasma and a 2010 55" 3D LED.

Same issue for me. Black screen on the new Samsung but works fine on the older one. I'm guessing it's an HDCP issue which sucks because I need a 4x4 switch. Grrrrrrrrr...
post #10 of 18 Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Funny, I have the 4x2 and can't get it to work with my Panasonic plasma or a Samsung LCD. Works fine with the matrix removed, but not with it in the line. Back to the drawing board.....

PSN ID: Seldom_Seen
post #11 of 18 Old 12-18-2011, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I updated the firmware. It made no difference.
post #12 of 18 Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had mixed results with the monoprice matrix switches and try to avoid them altogether. Not sure if the gefen or key digital ones are better (definitely more expensive) but sometimes it's more reliable to just buy more sources with short hdmi runs. I swear, hdmi is the devil.

post #13 of 18 Old 01-14-2012, 07:50 PM

Liked: 14
So I had a dream last night about this issue (the addition of my projector to the mix and this thing's complete and utter failure weigh heavy on me) and at some point in the night I thought to myself "The HDMI repeaters are the problem.... 400+ people on Monoprice can't be wrong!"

So I found myself awake this morning, way earlier than I normally care to be. Before I went upending my working setup, I did some digging online and it turns out these matrix switches have signal amplification built in... maybe sleepy me is on to something but at any rate, that was enough to warn the family that there'd be no TV anywhere in the house this morning because dad's tinkering so find something else to do.

I removed the repeater from the 55" Samsung 7K series LED (2010 model) that I discussed earlier in this thread that was giving me problems. Instead of having it at the switch end of the cable, I brought upstairs to the TV end... no dice. Then I swapped the input and output on the repeater... less than no dice, didn't even gets signal. Grrrrrrr.......

With all hope exhausted, I decided to pull it from the chain altogether and lo and behold this switch is finally sending a signal to my TV! The next step was to load up a 3D bluray and go for the gusto.... no dice.... "This display is not 3D compatible" blahblahblah.

Then I remembered that I had the non-3D TV (the aforementioned older Samsung plasma) in the bedroom on from my previous testing. I turned it off and powered down the matrix switch and the bluray player and then rebooted without the non-3D TV and.... yep, fully working 3D.

So if anyone reads this (my posts in threads tend to be the last ones for some reason), remove any repeaters from the chain and you might have some luck. My 7K series Samsung wouldnt even try to show a picture but now Ive got this switch showing my HTPC and my Sammy Bluray with ZERO issues no matter how many times I bounce between each. The 3D does, however, die whenever a non-3D display is introduced.

Good luck!
post #14 of 18 Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM

I'm having nearly the same problem as the original poster only with two LG TV's. Upgraded my living room TV and moved the old LG to the bedroom. Whenever I had both LG's hooked up with my old stop using a ViewHD 4x1 daisy changed with a 1x4 they had handshake issues and go black every once in awhile. The fix was to turn both on at the same time however this got tiring and I wasn't a fan of the extra power consumption.
So I decided to replace the two switches with one Monoprice 4x4 matrix. No luck!
Let me tell you a bit about my setup, I have 2x longish runs of dual cat 6e to HDMI and two about 20' HDMI cable runs. I was able to get the HDMI runs to work with the matrix, but only 1 of the cat6 runs. So I stayed messing around adding in the old 1x4 and 4x1 splitters into the mix since they were labeled as amplifiers as well. I was able to get it to work adding the 1x4 however still ran into the same handshake issues I was trying to fix!
So I figured if I get a superstar single in line amplifier maybe that would help. $40 and a week later had the Monoprice amplifier however I can't get that thing to make a bit of difference no matter what/ where it's hooked up. I figure it's either defective or a complete waste of money!
At this point I'm stuck, I've tried every combination of hookups I currently have access to and am thinking of blowing it up and spending aLOT more money on distribution equipment (HDBaseT) but that's going to be a bigger $ commitment than I spent on my big screen in the living room, so I have to wonder if it's really worth it?
Any help or other success stories with this type of setup would be appreciated!
post #15 of 18 Old 06-07-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
All of our Octava Matrix (HDMI>HDMI) and HDMI>RJ45) include the ability to update the Firmware and EDID management for just this reason – we get many ‘legacy’ system owners contacting us saying all was fine until they swapped out a TV and then everything falls apart, 99% of the time a FW update of the Matrix will get things working (assuming your Matrix has the option to update its FW).

I guess if you are really stuck you could use a Gefen HDMI Detective+ or HDFury DrHDMI to ‘learn’ the EDID of the TV your Matrix is happy with and stick that between the Matrix Output and the new TV – that way the Matrix still thinks it’s working with a TV it is happy with!

No guarantees this will work so ensure you get the kit on Sale or return!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

post #16 of 18 Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Joe,
Thank you for the suggestion! That will be the next step in my endless spending for HD distribution. I guess I'll end up going back to my old setup with the 4x1 and 1x4 adapters ( that setup worked better than the Monoprice 4x4 Matrix).
If anyone had had luck with the Monoprice Matrix and long distance cat6e adapters, please let me know.
post #17 of 18 Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 PM

Well, HDMI detective arrived today and completely eliminated the handshake issues. Yay! But my problems don't end I'm having the hardest time getting my shortest cat6 extended run to work. Have video but no audio no matter how I hook it up. Even tried a Monoprice HDMI Amplifier/equalizer on the line to no avail. This is the same line that the signal goes out everything I flip the lights on or off, but it had been working in the past so not sure what would cause this issue...
post #18 of 18 Old 06-13-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
What audio is going out on that line? If you are getting Video you know there is audio getting to the Sync!

If you go Source > Extender > Display does that work?

How short are the CAT cables? Mad as it sounds low cost Extenders don’t auto equalize for actual cable length so don’t work too well on short cables, you may want to try a longer set of CAT cables!!!

Joe

If I've helped 'Like' me on Facebook - www.facebook.com/Octavainc

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page