New Home Cinema Install - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys

Im converting one of my rooms into a dedicated home cinema room.

I'm gonna install a projector, and a screen and also a hdmi av receiver and in wall speakers into the room.

I was planning on running 2 x hdmi cables from the equipment rack(Located in the same room) to the projector (just in case 1 ever gets damaged), i am going to use a Pioneer VSX421 (3 hdmi in & 1 hdmi Output) to connect my sources. Then I'm going to install 4 (in-wall) speakers for surround sound in each corner of the room and 1 under the projector screen.

Will this give me 5.1 sound or do i need a sub-woofer also connected to the receiver?

Can anyone see any problems with what im going to do?? anything i should be looking out for?

i was thinking something like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpoolfan View Post

I was planning on running 2 x hdmi cables from the equipment rack(Located in the same room) to the projector (just in case 1 ever gets damaged)

Run at least 2 cat5e/cat6 cables to the PJ as well. If the walls are open (or will be), put in a flex conduit instead of the 2nd HDMI cable, so that whatever comes in the future, you can pull the 'correct' cable then...

Quote:

Then I'm going to install 4 (in-wall) speakers for surround sound in each corner of the room and 1 under the projector screen.

You should probably post in the Theater Construction forum to get more replies.

But speakers shouldn't go in the corners if at all possible. Search the forum for lots of diagrams about proper surround speaker placement. Also, your receiver's manual may have similar diagrams.

The "front" speakers really need to be on the front wall, not in the corners or on the sides. Anything else will give really lousy results as lots of sounds will be coming from "off screen", including some amount of dialog.

Quote:

Will this give me 5.1 sound or do i need a sub-woofer also connected to the receiver?

Um, yeah, that's the ".1" in 5.1... If you don't have one, you'll need to configure your receiver properly so the bass is routed to the other speakers. Most folks find a subwoofer a necessity for the "theater experience".

Quote:

Can anyone see any problems with what im going to do?? anything i should be looking out for?

Spend some time reading the Dedicated Theater construction forum and the other build-related forums - there's a ton of examples there.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

cheers for the replys
post #4 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

could you move this to the "Dedicated Theater construction forum" for me it might get more replys there thanks.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page