Split HMDI and bypass receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need a little help with my setup. Right now my NAD receiver receives HDMI inputs from all of my sources (cable box, Blu-ray, XBox, Apple TV) and is connected to my HDTV with a single HDMI cable (separate cables go to the tower speakers). What I want to do is use my receiver for audio (either the Apple TV or Blu-ray), but simultaneously view a different video source from my cable box or XBox on the HDTV.

I've read that simple unpowered HDMI splitters do not work well. Is a powered matrix splitter what I need to send HDMI signals directly from my cable box and XBox to the HDTV, while being able to use my receiver to listen to another source? Any recommendations appreciated!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lassus View Post

What I want to do is use my receiver for audio (either the Apple TV or Blu-ray), but simultaneously view a different video source from my cable box or XBox on the HDTV.

So audio from one source, and video from the other, correct?

Quote:

I've read that simple unpowered HDMI splitters do not work well. Is a powered matrix splitter what I need to send HDMI signals directly from my cable box and XBox to the HDTV, while being able to use my receiver to listen to another source? Any recommendations appreciated!

Well, they're not really 'unpowered', they get power from the HDMI cable. And how well they work is probably more a function of the devices attached and what people are expecting them to do.

If you want to be able to select more than one source (you said Xbox or cable), I'd go with a matrix. If it was just a single source, a splitter would be fine.

Just note, however, that any arrangement that hooks your TV to an HDMI source may cause the source to "downshift" the audio from DD5.1 or better to 2-channel PCM audio. Because the TV doesn't likely support DD5.1.

As an alternative, you could route most or all of your HDMI sources to the TV directly (bypass the receiver), and run digital audio cables from each source to the receiver. Then you'd be able to switch audio/video separately. Only downside currently would be the BD player, as you'll be limited to DD5.1/DTS (no DTS-MA or DD+). If that's an issue, run the BD player only through the receiver, if that meets your usage...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #3 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Right, audio from one source, video from another. The "downshifting" of the audio from 5.1 to stereo could be a problem, though: for example, if I'm playing the XBox "normally", with HDMI output going to the receiver, if there happens to be another HDMI connection directly to the TV, then that would likely downgrade the audio signal?
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The "downshifting" of the audio from 5.1 to stereo could be a problem, though: for example, if I'm playing the XBox "normally", with HDMI output going to the receiver, if there happens to be another HDMI connection directly to the TV, then that would likely downgrade the audio signal?

Yes, once you have the TV (assumed to only have 2-channel audio support) connected to the source device, the source will begin outputting 2-channel audio. It may require a reboot/power cycle of the source to get it "back" to DD5.1...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. It seems to best approach may be to just run separate composite video cables to the TV and just bypass the whole HDMI mess!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the response. It seems to best approach may be to just run separate composite video cables to the TV and just bypass the whole HDMI mess!

*component*, not composite, but yes, that's the answer...

Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page