Advice regarding whole house audio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all.
I purchased a home in which I'd like to install a whole house audio system. I have the following requirements:
Must haves:
  • High sound quality
    Number of zones/rooms: 8 minimum up to 12
    Inputs required: 4 minimum
    Speakers: Various, I will supply speakers, and would like the flexibility of using in-wall/ceiling or free standing speakers.
    Controls: Ability to control volume, track selection, and mute from using either a universal remote, iPhone, iPad, and/or wall consoles.
    Home theater integration: I am going to tie the outputs from our home theatre system into the whole house audio system so that television/movie audio can be listened to everywhere.

Nice to haves:
  • Centrally located amplifier(s)
    Intercom system
    Multi room IR repeaters
    Wireless music input, ie. bluetooth audio from iPhone USB input either memory stick or external hard drive for digital music

The house is three stories, including an unfinished basement. I have access to the attic, and can run cables to any required location for control consoles and speakers.
The current system I am considering is a "Home Theater Direct" Lync12 but I cannot find a lot of reviews on it.

If there are wireless systems that are more reasonably priced than a Sonos system, I'd consider those as well.

Someone also suggested an Elan system, but it looks like I'd have to have it installed. I am looking to do the work myself so I can get a higher quality system for the same price.

My budget is flexible and depends on features, however, I am not spending $499 per room (for Sonos Connect:Amps)
I'd like a recommendation for at least three systems other than the HTD and Sonos systems including pricing, features, and industry review information.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 360
$500/zone for the functionality you get from a Sonos setup is very good. The HTD system(s) are likely the only thing that will be less expensive - but it doesn't include all the 'cool' server/Internet sources that a Sonos would.

A NuVo Grand Concerto or Essentia system with the MusicPort server can be had for DIY install in a similar range (~$500-800) for 6-8 zones. Expansion can get you to 12-16 zones.

NuVo is also coming out with a wireless system that competes with Sonos. They'll have a 3-zone setup (with Internet/network sharing built in) for $1499 - again $500/zone.

Russound is the other brand that would be less expensive than an Elan, but nothing is going to beat the HTD on price. Features, yes. Price, no.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 AM

The HTD Lync system will have the following features:
- High sound quality mainly because of superior amps to all other products
- Number of zones/rooms: 6 or 12
- Inputs: 6 central + 6-12 (depending on zones) local sources
- Controls: Ability to control volume, track selection (using source remote), and mute from keypad / HTD remote / Universal remote, iPhone, iPad, smart phone, Ipod.
- Home theater integration: possible and controlable using the IR repeater
- Centrally located amplifier(s)
- Intercom system + V2 is coming out with doorbell integration
- Multi room IR repeaters
- Wireless music input, ie. bluetooth audio from iPhone (possible using Bluetooth option)

- USB input either memory stick or external hard drive for digital music (be careful, it is limitted to 2Gb which is a pain in the ....)

As for in wall speakers, I have a friend who has just bought their speakers. I will report on the quality shortly after the install which is sceduled in March. I personally like the OSD ACE 800 speakers. They sound great and their price is also great.

Good luck with your choices...
post #4 of 6 Old 02-16-2012, 12:39 PM

I'm also considering the Lync 12 for my new home construction and would love to hear about user reviews. I plan on using all 12 zones.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 AM
Bal

I know this is old...but

The big difference with Nuvo vs Lync is the metadata integration with Nuvo's music port. Lync just does not have an equivalent. I have been wrestling with this for a month. I think Lync is an equal system to Nuvo except for that one VERY key area.

I install Concerto and musicport and I can control all zones including all internet and NAS sources with metadata from their native app or from Haiku (security panel interface). Lync requires a second app to control your source or jumping through hoops. The USB songs are extrememly limited in their interaction and control.

Basically, Lync is missing one key piece. Its going to force me to spend more and end up with Nuvo. Might balance that by buying from ebay and waiving the manufactures warranty.

Wish HTD had that piece right as well! Someone tell me if I am wrong!
post #6 of 6 Old 05-29-2013, 04:31 AM

This all depends on the sources you are planning to use. If you list your sources and find out if the metadata is available.
Reply Home A/V Distribution

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page